Has anyone thought about making a clone of the Novation Drum

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
White
Gear: Quite a few synths

Has anyone thought about making a clone of the Novation Drum

Post by White » Sun May 25, 2008 12:42 am

It should be the exact same design in a single rack space only this time it should have a better power supply (internal) AND an on/off switch.

I have a Drumstation V2 and think it is fantastic...when it works that is. Mine has a tendancy to just die on me. Then it will work again six weeks later. This is a great shame because the Drumstation is a classic bit of kit in my opinion. So, to be on the safe side I now use my SH32 for drums.

I've discovered, this morning, that if I leave it unplugged, plug everything in and turn them on, THEN plug the Drumstation in, it works.

I'm just wondering whether it doesn't like being at an angle in a rack trolley?

Any thoughts?
Duncan J. White + quite a few synths
http://www.myspace.com/stickman76590059

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Sun May 25, 2008 1:09 am

I have the first version Drumstation and it has actually never worked 100% (or even 50%) since I got it (used).

The first 5 months it was completely non-functional except the DIN converter (which is one of the main reasons why I bought it in the first place).

Lately (after I moved houses apparently) I've been getting some sounds out of it but none of the front panel knobs or switches work.... not even the volume knob has any effect :shock:

Yes, it would be nice to have one that works, but I doubt Novation or anyone else will make a "clone" in the near future.
Monkey business since 2007!

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Sun May 25, 2008 3:30 am

It would be rather pointless to produce a drumstation clone. Elektron, the future release of the LinnDrumm, Jomox, Vermona, modular companies with drum modules, and software pretty much have the entire drum synth market cornered.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sun May 25, 2008 3:34 am

I've got a DS V2 that sits in my rack (all my racks are vertical, none angled) and have had no issues.

Yes, it is pointless to make a clone of a clone, though.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Sun May 25, 2008 4:53 am

Never had a problem with my Drumstation when I had it but seeing as the Drumstation itself is an 808/909 clone wouldn't the new clone actually just be a new 808/909 clone? It would be nice if Korg would make another version of the ER1 but this time get it right. Drumstation sound quality(at a minimum) and ES1 style sampling at an Electribe price :)
Last edited by supermel74 on Sun May 25, 2008 7:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

voltageHead

Post by voltageHead » Sun May 25, 2008 7:04 am

Another version of the ER1/ER1mk2 would be nice.

White
Gear: Quite a few synths

Post by White » Sun May 25, 2008 11:40 am

So then Z

I am still wondering whether the Drumstation SHOULD really be on a level surface? I shall look in my manual. Is this an issue that was overlooked?
Duncan J. White + quite a few synths
http://www.myspace.com/stickman76590059

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Sun May 25, 2008 3:34 pm

I don´t think so. There must be a fault somewhere.

Is the psu original?
Mess with the power lead a bit, near the connection to the chassis, and see what happens.
Try shaking the unit to see if there´s anything loose inside.

That´s what I´d do anyway, prior to opening the unit or sending it to repair...
Herrare umanum est.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed May 28, 2008 10:51 am

I got 2 DS V2 with no probs at all. hmm, may be not a clone, but a successor would be more preferable.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Totty

Post by Totty » Wed May 28, 2008 11:08 am

You have a power supply problem, it is a known problem with the first batch of Drumstations. I sent it to Novation and they gave me a new power supply.

Clones of a Drumstation - 2 words Drumazon and Nepheton

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed May 28, 2008 11:58 am

Isn't the drum station still dirt cheap? If you want a new 808 / 909 clone you get a Jomox of some sort...even one of the ones that aren't made... or you go the sample route.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

polardark

Post by polardark » Wed May 28, 2008 2:12 pm

The Drum Station isn't that special really. It was one of the early digital TR drum machine emulators but the sound today is a bit obsolete, though still quite usable. My Drum Station has these stability issues as well and typically it works on a good day but it's not exactly the most dependable of machines. I changed the power supply too but that didn't really change things much. Taking the thing apart showed just how cheap the construction is. Then again, it was meant to be cheap.

I keep toying with the idea of making a software emulation of this. The actual software that produces the sounds is in socketed rom chips and it uses an industry standard DSP chip. However i have an authentic licence of Audiorealism Drum Machine VST on my computer and it outperforms the Novation Drum Station in every way possible.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Thu May 29, 2008 12:05 am

If all the appeal of the DrumStation and DrumStation 2 is in the knobs, I wouldn't see the point, either. Only change I'd want to what's already out there (and due to come) is to give the MachineDrum dedicated controllers for each sound in place of the assignable ones.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

crufty

Post by crufty » Thu May 29, 2008 8:14 pm

agree that a dsp based multi out knob drummachine is a good idea, not sure a drumstation v3 is so good. I am not a fan of the drumstation v1 because most of it sounds weak to me. however i do like some of the sounds very much so wtf eh?

One thing I would wish that could happen is more of an exploration of ethnic drum synthesis. The basic kick/snare has been done to death. dsp claps not so much.

i have heard the drumstation is very power supply sensitive, using the wrong one can burn up the unit and the originals can go bad.

Oh yeh, and who decided not to include an on/off switch? what's that, like $0.50? sheesh. probably why so many units bit the dust.

Dane_Xoth
Gear: Attack uWXT Edition uQ Prophecy, W/S ex, MS 2Kr ER1 EA1 RADIAS
A X V Bk Br D SB Station,
DJ70mII R-70 S760
Spectrum Bass+Synth
FB383
Absinthe
Band: Dane[X]oth, Dortmunder

Post by Dane_Xoth » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:08 pm

There was a version 3 ....It came out around the same time as the K-Station. The only difference IIRC was that it had a silver front panel. There was also a second edition A-station with the same colour sceme.

What i always wanted was Novation to make a dedicated rack mount sequencer. An S-Station. Or in keyboard controller.....

It's one thing they've never dabbled in ...... strange.
Bend it to fit, Paint it to match.