Summer NAMM

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Mon May 26, 2008 12:00 pm

I think Roland should drop the 'Fantom' name and use 'Jupiter' instead.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Mon May 26, 2008 12:07 pm

Jack Spider wrote:I think Roland should drop the 'Fantom' name and use 'Jupiter' instead.
I think Roland should name their synths after cars! :thumbup:

They could have the Roland Focus, Roland Jeepster, Roland Intrigue, Roland Civic etc.

sorry, my attempt at humour first thing in the morning

:coffee:
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Mon May 26, 2008 2:17 pm

Jack actually brings up a good point (even though he is joking) which is I find it so funny that people b***h and b***h about Roland coming out with a SH-201 and a Juno-D saying "Why do they feel the need to use old names, etc, etc" and then every year "Why won't they release a Jupiter 12 or 16". Why won't Moog do a Poly Memorymoog.

Everytime a manufacturer comes out with a product that has some sort of tie to the past they get lambasted because it's not an identical clone. The P8 is SORT of an exception because people seem to like it, although that had one h**l of a time before it got released... People still b***h about it being "vanilla" and DCO's...

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Mon May 26, 2008 2:29 pm

ANY synth named "Jeepster" would have to come loaded with TRex tunes as the demos!

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon May 26, 2008 2:34 pm

hfinn wrote:Everytime a manufacturer comes out with a product that has some sort of tie to the past they get lambasted because it's not an identical clone.
Which is why it's often a good idea to give the new product a unique name. Otherwise when people realise it's named after an older product they'll begin the comparisons even before they approach it.

Case in point - compare how much Voyager bitching tends to go on here when compared with its Little brother, the Phatty. I've seen countless arguments that the Voyager doesn't even come close to the Mini, it's not a classic, it's too smooth etc. on here but the vast majority of the posts involving the LP regard it in a positive light. Granted it has been compared to the Source a few times but hardly anyone seems to put it down.

In fact, I think success lies with a ridiculous name. So let's see more of 'em! :P Make a new Memorymoog, call it "The Big One" and most folks will be none the wiser. ;)
Last edited by OriginalJambo on Mon May 26, 2008 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon May 26, 2008 3:15 pm

I'm hoping for a next level version of the Korg EMX / ESX series with Kaossilator functionality. I'd love to see a TB-303 clone with patch storage.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Mon May 26, 2008 9:55 pm

On the ridiculous names tip, I think Elektron should make a synth called 'The Borg'
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Mon May 26, 2008 10:12 pm

JSRockit wrote:I'd love to see a TB-303 clone with patch storage.
i still don't understand this
god elton can't you suck

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Mon May 26, 2008 11:38 pm

mome rath wrote:
I think he means either a memory (for keeping your favourite sounds or more specifically, tweeks and basic patterns). Just guessing of course.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon May 26, 2008 11:59 pm

mome rath wrote:
Because I like to work over time...not only record in the moment. I can work on one loop over a few weeks time...and then work on multiple loops in the same session... so, even though the 303's architecture is simple, it gets annoying dialing in the right sound just because I want to listen to a loop. If I have patch storage...then I can just change the patch. I know the 303 is known as a tweakers synth, but it is also capable of sounding cool without tweaking the knobs every second. I'd use it more for deep basslines, than usual 303 lead stuff.

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue May 27, 2008 8:35 am

V301H wrote: It would be awesome if Yamaha came out with a modern CS-80 lighter in weight and smaller in size than the original.
http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/pro ... intro.html
is that light enough :wink: unfortunately it would probably end up being some sort of workstation sample based thing

philbar
Gear: Roland Sh-2
Access Virus Ti Polar
Roland Tr-606
Korg Micro-x
Akai MPC 1000

Post by philbar » Tue May 27, 2008 12:33 pm

A mellotron that uses loads of hard disks that are of a proprietary format (one per key, obviously) that make it even less portable. needless to say the hard disks could only store a single sample of 8 seconds in mono 22.1 khz....

moog to release the Big Phatty complete with oversize keys and inbuilt obsolescence.

a cheap 303 clone that actually works with usb.

something from elektron that isn't glorified or over priced for what it does.I say a t-shirt with knobs on that crashes every week at the same time?

Korg to release another triton clone in an even better format than the micro-x, my money would be on a synth that contains cheesy oohs and ah's as its sole vocal source (sic) (if you've played an x-50 or a micro-x you'll know what i mean). make the keyboard sense velocity when it felt like it ( a bit like the micro-x then!)

yamaha to release a groovebox/ drum machine thats indecipherable to use/ play and comes with a proprietary interface to connect to a pc's Parrallel port

Roland to re-hash another synth. Again. (i'd love a sh-101 or 303 based item)...

Access Virus Ti Polar + Ableton Live

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue May 27, 2008 12:35 pm

philbar wrote: something from elektron that isn't glorified or over priced for what it does..
THey are only over priced if you don't have one. If you have one, and like it, it is priceless.

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Tue May 27, 2008 1:24 pm

Clavia Nord Stage with a BIG memory update (not only 128 MB - but 32 GB - it's cheap enough today...) and real drawbars instead of these small + and - buttons.

And i would be happy !

And Dave Smith could build an analog sequencer, with midi and CV controls...
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

Entropy Farmer

Post by Entropy Farmer » Tue May 27, 2008 7:46 pm

JSRockit wrote:
philbar wrote: something from elektron that isn't glorified or over priced for what it does..
THey are only over priced if you don't have one. If you have one, and like it, it is priceless.
Agreed. I am horrified to be selling mine. HORRIFIED.