Summer NAMM

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Tue May 27, 2008 11:00 pm

I'd like to see Korg do a kaoss pad with a kaoss pad attached to it :twisted:
Umm, no that would be silly.

How about an all-analogue microkorg? (with a kaoss--<snip>)
But keep the DWGS waveforms too, so it could do part analogue, part digital. Hmm, a micromek....
Stephen(2)

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue May 27, 2008 11:25 pm

Entropy Farmer wrote:
JSRockit wrote:
philbar wrote: something from elektron that isn't glorified or over priced for what it does..
THey are only over priced if you don't have one. If you have one, and like it, it is priceless.
Agreed. I am horrified to be selling mine. HORRIFIED.
Why are you selling?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Wed May 28, 2008 5:43 am

JSRockit wrote:
philbar wrote: something from elektron that isn't glorified or over priced for what it does..
THey are only over priced if you don't have one. If you have one, and like it, it is priceless.
+1
virb.com/ookpikk

philbar
Gear: Roland Sh-2
Access Virus Ti Polar
Roland Tr-606
Korg Micro-x
Akai MPC 1000

Post by philbar » Wed May 28, 2008 9:33 am

JSRockit wrote:
I have one. an sps-1 mk 1 to be precise. As per my sig...
I think its overpriced for what it does and I use it every day, and yes i do like using it!

Just to advise you, I've performed live using it and it gets rave reviews from people that learn how to use it, but maybe i need to freshen up some of the kits i use or how i use it. its been used to produce acid, trance, Psytrance, electronica and IDM and is good fun, but my opinion is it is overpriced for what it does. Maybe i should have got the UW version or mark 2 UW version... that would give me more flexibility.

Funnily enough its up for sale in the UK if anyones interested...!
nowadays i use my mpc far more for programmed beats... using some samples of the MD in some instances.

Access Virus Ti Polar + Ableton Live

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed May 28, 2008 10:22 am

I would like to see a new QY with a true futuristic design and synthesist oriented engine rather than an expanded XG set. alos, A new RS would also very nice.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed May 28, 2008 11:52 am

philbar wrote:
JSRockit wrote:
I think its overpriced for what it does and I use it every day, and yes i do like using it!.
You like it but not enough to keep it...therefore, you fall into the not liking it category. ;)

(to be honest, I would agree on the regular MD...since I mostly use the UW aspects of the machine now... if I was stuck with just a regular MD, it wouldn't really work that well for what I do).

mute

Post by mute » Wed May 28, 2008 3:06 pm

kuroichi wrote:On the ridiculous names tip, I think Elektron should make a synth called 'The Borg'
lol
spookyman wrote: And Dave Smith could build an analog sequencer, with midi and CV controls...
:!: Please!

Entropy Farmer

Post by Entropy Farmer » Wed May 28, 2008 8:03 pm

JSRockit wrote:
Entropy Farmer wrote: Agreed. I am horrified to be selling mine. HORRIFIED.
Why are you selling?
Working on a down payment for some property. I'm sick of the shitty apartment already.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu May 29, 2008 8:28 am

There should be a new Moogerfooger:

The MF808 Bass Bizzle.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Thu May 29, 2008 10:16 am

I think we will not see any really NEW product, but only reloaded version of something we already have.

... and I lost any hope on seeing Roland&Korg%Yamaha showing any kind of real analog synth. They're on the digital train and this train is running fast and is cheap to master. To develope a real analog is really hard... it's far from putting a small CPU on a board and coding something. Alesis for example... they will never release an Andromeda 2, that's for sure... the A6 was an h**l for them. So if you want analogs... well... just hope in little crews of engineers giving you some handmade modular... or similar... again I don't think that the BIG ONES will come back to analogs.

and... I'm still hoping to an OS to give the Moog Voyager a simple 3 notes polyphony (1 osc per note).

A polymoog is in my dreams... but c'mon... it will be so expensive... that... uhm... no no... impossible...

philbar
Gear: Roland Sh-2
Access Virus Ti Polar
Roland Tr-606
Korg Micro-x
Akai MPC 1000

Post by philbar » Thu May 29, 2008 1:40 pm

JSRockit wrote:
philbar wrote:
JSRockit wrote: THey are only over priced if you don't have one. If you have one, and like it, it is priceless.
I think its overpriced for what it does and I use it every day, and yes i do like using it!.
You like it but not enough to keep it...therefore, you fall into the not liking it category. ;)

(to be honest, I would agree on the regular MD...since I mostly use the UW aspects of the machine now... if I was stuck with just a regular MD, it wouldn't really work that well for what I do).
Some clever editing there JS. I do like it. Just not as much as perhaps i should! :D

Access Virus Ti Polar + Ableton Live

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu May 29, 2008 2:19 pm

kuroichi wrote:There should be a new Moogerfooger:

The MF808 Bass Bizzle.
h**l yeah!

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu May 29, 2008 2:50 pm

More fuel for the rumor mill... roland is planning an analog synth!

BUT, don't get too excited. Its a basically a Juno-D with a single VCO that can be used for monosynth patches. The VCO routes through the usual Roland digital filter and VCA. So no analog filters or VCA.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Thu May 29, 2008 3:42 pm

StepLogik wrote:The VCO routes through the usual Roland digital filter and VCA. So no analog filters or VCA.
Whaaah?! So you can have that charming old-school tuning instability, but keep the coveted, modern, all-digital sound that everyone loves?

Here are the new products that will be coming out in my fantasy world.

From Yamaha: the AN2x with more knobs, external inputs, and h**l a real analog filter as long as I'm being unrealistic; a small keyboard and/or groovebox with the formant synthesis section from the FS1r (I want more new things that make weird vocal-esque sounds, damnit!).

From Casio (or anyone really): new RAM cartridges for storing patches on my CZ-1000, so I can stop watching those RA-3/RA-5 cartridges selling on Ebay for more than the CZ synths themselves.

From anyone: a nice, compact keyboard-based sampler (just a sampler, I don't want it to do anything else) with a good amount of memory, nice filters, and USB for loading up samples from the computer.
Last edited by pricklyrobot on Thu May 29, 2008 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Thu May 29, 2008 3:42 pm

I'd like to see CLAVIA or ROLAND or YAMAHA release a ROMpler designed for DJ booth and desktop spaces, like KORG's MicroX . . . Basically an affordable, microKorg or Micron size, battery-operated Electro or Fantom or Motif.

Just think of the cool names . . .

micro-Electro

Micro-Juno

Micro-Motif

:)

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100