Summer NAMM

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Thu May 29, 2008 4:00 pm

mao wrote:
and... I'm still hoping to an OS to give the Moog Voyager a simple 3 notes polyphony (1 osc per note).

A polymoog is in my dreams... but c'mon... it will be so expensive... that... uhm... no no... impossible...
The OS does allow for a poly, by adding more voyagers...what would be sick, and you could definitely see people doing, would be if they would produce some stripped down voyager voicing rack, that's sole purpose was to add polyphony, like the DSI PER...

Right now, you can have a poly moog [1 voyager + 7rme] for roughly $15,000...can they do it for cheaper?

Then again, can the same thing be done w/ the Phatty? Like one Phatty + some kind of phatty voice? I have an MEK, I have always thought about picking up a PER for the added voices down the road...I wonder what it would take to make a stripped down PolyPhatty rack...just ball parking, with no real reference or even an inkling of understanding of Moogs business model/pricing other than what dealers pay for their stuff, but you could see that coming in for 7/8 voices in the $4500 range...? Still out of my price range, but definitely not out of the range of the hard core moogiacs...

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu May 29, 2008 4:20 pm

StepLogik wrote:More fuel for the rumor mill... roland is planning an analog synth!

BUT, don't get too excited. Its a basically a Juno-D with a single VCO that can be used for monosynth patches. The VCO routes through the usual Roland digital filter and VCA. So no analog filters or VCA.
That sounds a bit backwards to me. I like that it is a single VCO...but the biggest problem with most romplers / VAs is the digital filter.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu May 29, 2008 4:59 pm

im looking forward to the mythical moog guitar

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Thu May 29, 2008 6:54 pm

ColorForm2113 wrote:im looking forward to the mythical moog guitar
Ah yes... the guitar that can't play chords, but has a REALLY FAT triple-coil lead sound. ;)

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu May 29, 2008 11:36 pm

StepLogik wrote:BUT, don't get too excited. Its a basically a Juno-D with a single VCO that can be used for monosynth patches. The VCO routes through the usual Roland digital filter and VCA. So no analog filters or VCA.
An analogue VCO through a digital filter? Kind of defeats the purpose really. I'd rather have a digital oscillator and analogue filter personally.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Fri May 30, 2008 12:35 am

RS7000+ are in my dreams too.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

steveman

Post by steveman » Fri May 30, 2008 2:19 am

ColorForm2113 wrote:im looking forward to the mythical moog guitar
According to this: http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2008/05 ... otted.html and Sonicstate, it's not mythical - it does actually exist ...

I'd like to see Novation update the X-Station with the same controller mapping features of their Remote series, as well as similar controls (inc. the speed dial). While they're about it can they make the smallest keyboard 2 1/2 octaves - put the wheels above the keyboard (or even better a pitch ribbon...) & it'll be about the same length. I've always found 2 octaves never quite enough.

If that Roland rumour is true - err... why? As has been said, totally arse about face. :roll:

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri May 30, 2008 2:50 am

steveman wrote:If that Roland rumour is true - err... why? As has been said, totally arse about face. :roll:
It's not a rumour, it's a stupid idea with no basis in reality. Like most things in this thread.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Fri May 30, 2008 3:03 am

restraining from usual fantasy section about reissued analogs, what id love to see is:

a new Yamaha product in vein of RS7000, with 4 midi outputs, more memory, better PC integration. more DSP.. etc.. nothing impossible. tho im not sure if Yamaha sees money in this anymore.. live electronica gigs are such a sml part of their market.

also, i really hope Ken Macbeth comes out with his long awaited X Factor, and that it is all he claims itll be (ie old style discrete VCOs, saturated VCA etc), and that um.. i can afford it. :D

im also hoping Paul S. from MOTM, will finally come out with the rest of his MOTM-1xxx series modules in Frac Rac Format., that he announced 2 yrs ago. first n foremost a frac version of his VCO (afaik it'll be named MOTM-1300). and then some other stuff like SSM2040-clone filter (440) etc.. so one can make a whole Frac-Sized.MOTM synth.

Colin to come out with a new version of his Sequentix P3 (he is afaik working on it), the P4. and that he includes at least two pairs of CV/GATE interfaces.

FR to issue something new instead of Mobius. possibly more channels than one..

of all of this, at this point in time, i only put faith in Ken, and possibly Paul.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Fri May 30, 2008 8:30 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
steveman wrote:If that Roland rumour is true - err... why? As has been said, totally arse about face. :roll:
It's not a rumour, it's a stupid idea with no basis in reality. Like most things in this thread.
HEY!!!

My bass bizzle isnt fake.... :cry:

It could happen one day! you just gotta believe!

To be honest I usually just think of summer NAMM as an update show, for new firmwares and progress reports etc.

It would be nice for something new to just jump out of the woodworks digital or analogue, however a new mooger fooger would be nice.

Maybe roland will give us another drum machine or 'synth' with the same features only repackaged, i.e. more or less of the same sound library...
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Fri May 30, 2008 9:43 am

clusterchord wrote:also, i really hope Ken Macbeth comes out with his long awaited X Factor, and that it is all he claims itll be (ie old style discrete VCOs, saturated VCA etc), and that um.. i can afford it. :D
If / When Ken finishes the X-Factor, it will be all that he claims it to be. He did it with the M3X and M5(N), can't imagine him failing this time. I already sold my M3X and I'm saving up... C'mon, Ken!

[/fanboy]

Ok, I might go with a Voyager if Ken takes too long. Voyagers are lovely, too. Different from Macbeth, but lovely.

- CM

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri May 30, 2008 11:34 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
:twisted:

c'mon guys, doesn't that sound like something Roland would do? :lol:

mute

Post by mute » Fri May 30, 2008 1:27 pm

StepLogik wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
:twisted:

c'mon guys, doesn't that sound like something Roland would do? :lol:
i hope they don't do it. a digital filter on a vco? wtf. that makes absolutely no sense.. but yeah, that sounds like something stupid only roland would do. i have come to not expecting much from roland anymore.. they havent really designed anything towards my interest outside of the jp8080 since the 1980's. Roland has lost touch. Even Korg, who was all Workstation all the time in the 1990s still knows theres more to the market than that.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Fri May 30, 2008 2:17 pm

Zamise wrote:RS7000+ are in my dreams too.
If Yamaha could implement a Motif ES chip + the A5000 sampler, the rs7000+ would be perfect imo. They could even use the same OS and screen, as far as I'm concerned (that would obviously not happen, though).

Actually I was playing my rs7000 earlier today, and it still blows me away.
Come on, Yamaha, give us the update!!!

Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Post by Mush » Fri May 30, 2008 6:51 pm

I hope the team behind the burnsie 2000 will finally show a non-playable prototype kind-a-like the stromberg...

That would be SOooo Sweeet!