My "JP6 let-down" post dissappeared!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
DJ Axon

My "JP6 let-down" post dissappeared!

Post by DJ Axon » Wed May 28, 2008 3:36 pm

The thread seems to have dissappeared?

Just to summarise - am considering giving my JP6 the boot as its not filling the gap SCI Multitrack left - it seems thin/dry/fuzzy/tinny/lacking low-end resolution, so was asking members their opinions if they own or have owned a JP6 - what would be a good replacement?

Someone mentioned that I should give it time and take it for what it is, someone else suggested I'm maybe into the 'american' analogue sound

Any suggestions on a replacement? I loved that Multitrack but found it a little mellow/lacking bight perhaps and a real bore to program. The ability to stack 6 different voices was mint though (sob)

Any suggestions on a replacement for the JP6?

currently have Alpha juno/pg300, jx10/pg800 (also facing eviction), DSI MEK, Yamaha CS30.

cheers

Dan

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed May 28, 2008 3:52 pm

Why not just get another SCI with a knobbier interface? Prophet 5 if you have lots of money, Prophet 600 if you haven't.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Wed May 28, 2008 4:06 pm

Given that Axon's thread was the third JP6 thread to appear in the last few days, I'm not surprised someone decided to delete it.

However, as long as this thread keeps to giving Axon here advice on a replacement, I can't see anyone having a problem with it.

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Wed May 28, 2008 4:13 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:Why not just get another SCI with a knobbier interface? Prophet 5 if you have lots of money, Prophet 600 if you haven't.
done, and...done.

yeah, if you don't have the dough for the p5, i think you'll love the p600. it's big and it has balls.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed May 28, 2008 6:40 pm

I used to think this way about the JP6....after I sold it I found it created it's own void that needed to be filled. I never played a SCI Multitrack though. Have you looked at Akai AX-60?...so fun and it can stack 6 voices.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Wed May 28, 2008 7:03 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:Why not just get another SCI with a knobbier interface? Prophet 5 if you have lots of money, Prophet 600 if you haven't.
Or the suggestion I made in the thread that disappeared, the Prophet '08, since you like your Evolver so much.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

replicalex
Gear: SCI Pro One / Korg MonoPoly / Yamaha CS15 / TX802 / Roland: Sh101 / SH2 / Jupiter 6 / Juno 1 / AS: Semblance / MiniBrute / DRM1 mk2 / Jomox xBase09

Post by replicalex » Thu May 29, 2008 8:44 am

If you are thinking of getting shot of your Jup6 there are some folks here who would gladly take it off your hands mate. Me included. :)

If you do sell it, you should have almost enough funds for a P600 AND another Multitrack (if you can find one that is) or a sixtrack - or similar poly.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Thu May 29, 2008 10:54 am

Dreamtronix wrote:There is no "replacement" for a JP6. 8)
agreed. but poster, if i got him right, actually wants a replacement for SCI Multitrack, as he finds jp6 bottom end lacking. i cannot comment as i havent played multitrack, but staying in a curtis-based territory is good recommendation, and some of them like P5, OB-8 and OB-Xa do have beefier low end than JP6. and these oberheims aint that far off price wise..

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

DJ Axon

Post by DJ Axon » Fri May 30, 2008 9:04 am

Hiya,

thanks for the suggestions - seems like Oberheim/SCI is what i'm after - glad i didn't buy that Korg Monopoly then! I've got a yamaha CS5 and love the sound of that so maybe a 30?

Those P600's are always tempting but i heard all their knobs are digitally mapped so you get stepping rather than smooth, continuous sweeps/mods - can anyone comment?

I think what i was after with the jup was something that sounded huge and had massive programming power that was intuitive to use via a full knob-per-function panel.

No-ones mentioned Andromedas - these not all they're cracked up to be?

cheers, Dan

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Fri May 30, 2008 9:34 am

DJ Axon wrote:Those P600's are always tempting but i heard all their knobs are digitally mapped so you get stepping rather than smooth, continuous sweeps/mods - can anyone comment?
Aye, 'tis true. Still, it's a lovely synth. Most analogue synths with digital patch memory have "digitally mapped" knobs, all the vintage ones do, some of them just have larger steps than the others.

- CM

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Sat May 31, 2008 7:38 pm

Carey M wrote:
DJ Axon wrote:Those P600's are always tempting but i heard all their knobs are digitally mapped so you get stepping rather than smooth, continuous sweeps/mods - can anyone comment?
Aye, 'tis true. Still, it's a lovely synth. Most analogue synths with digital patch memory have "digitally mapped" knobs, all the vintage ones do, some of them just have larger steps than the others.

- CM
but there are ways around this...like controlling filter cutoff with lfo or mod wheel.