Worst Korg synth EVER!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
boxed

Re:

Post by boxed » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:17 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:Every KORG product I've used so far (Polysix, Mono/Poly, microKORG) has kicked a*s in its own way. And I'm sure many others like the MS and PS range are awesome too.

Another thing you can say about KORG is that they are constantly innovating or at least improving on existing technologies. The OASYS, the RADIAS, the MS-10 soft synth for the Nintendo DS are all examples of this. Also, to date they are the only synth company of the big three that offer software clones of their own hardware products.

KORG s**t gold - they can do no wrong. ;)
That's true. I also think they are most innovative synth company, they are not afraid to try new things and venture off in wild new areas e.g. the WAVE DRUM, Electribes, Kaos Pads/Kaossilators, the Nintendo DS-10 and of course the new Korg Monotron.

boxed

Re:

Post by boxed » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:22 pm

V301H wrote:I don't know what the worst Korg is, but in the seventies and early eighties most Korg synths were considered entry-level budget items. They sometimes came up with a couple of innovative or unusual features that other synths didn't have, but inexplicably they would leave out some important basic functions. They didn't really make anything to rival the Oberheims, Prophets, MemoryMoogs, CS80's, Jupiters, etc. Few pros were seen using Korgs in those days. It is only in the last several years that older Korgs have gained respect as almost anything analog has become desirable.
So the MS-10 and MS-20 were not highly desirable in those days huh? I actually like the tone of the 700s/800DV.

Maybe its because in the 70's Japanese products were just generally regarded as 'cheap'.

seamonkey

Re:

Post by seamonkey » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:41 pm

Jexus wrote:Image
?
I'd forgotten about the 707.
Looking at it's physical appearance I can see it was the forerunner of the Korg Prophecy. :D
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Re: Worst Korg synth EVER!

Post by 8bit9bot » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:03 pm

I hate the DW-8000... it seems like out of every synth i ever used... it was the clunkiest and boringest. i used to think it was sort of interesting... before i ever had a waldorf synth... now i think waldorf and ensoniq synths KILL the DW-8000

also i borrowed my friends EA-1... it was weak... worse than the original novation bass station x.x

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Re: Re:

Post by nvbrkr » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:44 pm

boxed wrote: Maybe its because in the 70's Japanese products were just generally regarded as 'cheap'.
Good point. It might have been also a more prevailing view in the States than in Europe (or in Japan, for that matter).

Diametro

Re:

Post by Diametro » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:24 pm

JSRockit wrote:Korg ER-1
Everyone's entitled to an opinion ... but that's really surprising ...

What don't you like about it ... ??? (Plastic case and inability to keep muted parts silent after hitting STOP notwithstanding ... Only one motion control sequence pert part is also a let-down ... but you can't have everything I guess ... )

I love it for its great sound imo, unique character, control and it was $90 ... I'm using it on almost every track on my new albunum (in conjuction with chained KP3s) ...

I've thought about getting MKkii, but I like the old, more fluid knobs better ...
JP8,JP6,FanX7,VSynthXT;NI Maschine; KP3x2;RE-201;MOTU828mk2;HS80ms

MY NEW ALBUM ... 70s Electronica / Synth Songwriting
http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:45 pm

Diametro wrote:

What don't you like about it ... ??? (Plastic case and inability to keep muted parts silent after hitting STOP notwithstanding ... Only one motion control sequence pert part is also a let-down ... but you can't have everything I guess ... )
In case you didn't notice JS wrote that almost two years ago, and he hasn't posted here at all for a while. boxed seems to think it's amusing to bump two year old threads. :)

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Re:

Post by balma » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:32 pm

mome rath wrote:
StepLogik wrote: Image

and I have one too!
still can't go to a store and use a workstation without getting extremely frustrated at the fact that these things try to do EVERYTHING FOR YOU (karma, M3, micro X, etc)

i just want to bang out on the "jungle kit" and put the hip hop kids to shame in the rompler room :lol:

Also 2 years old :D but in this case I'm agreeing 100% with the f**k Karma.

Extremely stupid interface, but really really crappy and boring to death. Just change any of the f**k effects, takes you a long journey to several menus, same for changing any crappy pitch, or pan, or changin a patch on the mutimode, is a whole trip through listings of menus. And the famous Karma arppegiator, is the most boring s**t I ever tried to program. Something so stupid, for something that you can do by your own in less than half the time.

Karma is the closest thing on the synth world to a keyboard arranger. But I agree that a guy on a wedding could make marvelous things with it.

And the ER-1 is one of the most funny little boxes I have owned. I can bring a lot of work I made with it and those psychodelic blip sounds.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

anoteoftruth
Gear: Moog Little Phatty, Moog Voyager RME, Nord Lead Rack, Microkorg, Korg ER-1, Rocktron Banshee Talkbox, Ableton Live, Trigger Finger, GURU, SP-303
Band: Mr.Marr

Post by anoteoftruth » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:05 pm

Even though the microkorg was my first synth... I have to say, I can't fricken stand the thing, and it collects dust in the closet. It's nothing but a space waister to me now, though because it was my first, it stays in my equipment profile. I think it is a horrible first synthesizer for people to start off in synthesis with, but because of how cheap it is, it's usually people of my generations first.

I was impressed with how Dorian Concept utilized it and seemed to really push its boundaries (though with a shitload of eq and effects processing) ... but even then, I can't listen to it too long, because those crappy sounds still bleed through, all too familiar.

The Korg ER-1, was a dust collector for a long time for me. It was my second peice of gear, way back in the day when they first came out, and i suppose served a purpose for the time.... but was shunned to the closet once i discovered samplers/soft samplers.

Though recently I have rediscovered the ER-1... not for anything it was I guess it was intended on being used for.. but I started running it through my Voyagers filters, and just tweaking it to get some interesting sound effects, processing later... I've been a bit surprised with some of the sounds I've gotten.. it might just redeem itself back into my shelf space.

Though the build quality is horrible. I've had to open it up a number of times to re-solder parts.

For everything else Korg... I have to say.. besides some of their older stuff, the MS series, the Mono/Poly etc... everything from like the early 90's and up, I have to say I clump together in the "cheap dumb s**t" category. That's my own personal opinion.

I admit I am a tad analog bias, but I do have digital as well, and I like digital when it's done right... a pre-requisite being, it has to have some unique character.... Korg's are like the people on the bus you walk right past not even knowing they are there, cause they just blend in with the background unnoticed. They are the khaki color of the synthworld to me. Unless Korg or Roland ever dip back in and decide to redo some classics, I'll most likely never buy another Korg or Roland product ever again.

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:30 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Diametro wrote:

In case you didn't notice JS wrote that almost two years ago, and he hasn't posted here at all for a while. boxed seems to think it's amusing to bump two year old threads. :)

Come back to the five and dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean ...

Since this is a two-year-old thread ... I've been thinking ... This forum seems kind of dead compared to a couple of years ago ... Respectfully I ask, is this just my perception or has traffic migrated ... ???
JP8,JP6,FanX7,VSynthXT;NI Maschine; KP3x2;RE-201;MOTU828mk2;HS80ms

MY NEW ALBUM ... 70s Electronica / Synth Songwriting
http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/

BritSynths

Re:

Post by BritSynths » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:12 pm

My vote for worst:

Image[/quote]

Micro-preset can't be the worst..it's been immortalized by OMD. Oddly enough, not the easiest sound to recreate.[/quote]

Granted it was used by OMD, but only as they were skint and couldn't afford a proper synth[/quote]

You're probably right, but even so, its not easy to mimic that sound on a traditional 2 osc analog mono. I can get close on my LP, buts its not quite the same. The preset sound of the Micro Preset is hard to emulate, cause the KMP basically features a mixer section which allows you to fade different instruments in and out, plus filter control.

It's funny, its so bad, its unique and desirable.[/quote]

Does it?

Are you sure you have played one?

The only thing I can remotly think you are talking about is the fact you can press two presets and open and close the filter as the filter didn't affect half the presets. In fact the envelope generator didn't even work on most of the sounds you were stuck with just a gate envelope.

Limited sound options, no way to connect to anything external and a truly awful clunky keyboard. The synths only redeeming feature was its price in its day but you got what you paid for. Personally a cheap Bontempi organ would have been a better buy back then
DW8000,MS2000B,JX3P,PG200,SH-32,JV-1010,MU90R, TX81Z,CZ101,VZ8M, Drumstation,AStation,XR10,RT-232,VirusB,K4R,Proteus 2000:Oscar,PhilipRees CSF,C16,Roland Gaia, Studiologic Sledge,Quasimidi Quasar,NanoSynth,NanoBass,Korg 03/RW, SR-88

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:24 pm

I've always tried to avoid any Korg product, but i did like the ER-1 but not for drums, but for creating bubbling and warbling effects using the oscillator and delay sections.

But generally i tend to steer clear of Korg altogther. Although i once had a MS-10 for one week!
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:44 pm

Syn303 wrote:I've always tried to avoid any Korg product, but i did like the ER-1 but not for drums, but for creating bubbling and warbling effects using the oscillator and delay sections.

But generally i tend to steer clear of Korg altogther. Although i once had a MS-10 for one week!
drums on the ER-1 are totally useless.

but that delay effect, bbblrrrrorrurup piop bluip bluip bluil prrrrrr

Is so psychodelic, you could perfectly lead a good track with making tweaks with the pitch lfo and the feedback of the delay effect together. I used in a very intense way on several tracks.

I can't say that the ER1 is a bad synth when I had so much fun with it.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:52 pm

The ER-1 is a weird box...

I had one for a while. It was fun, but I ultimately gave it to a friend.
soundcloud.com/vectron

justin_havu
Gear: Korg 01/W Pro X, Kurzweil PC2x, K2000VP, Alesis Quadrasynth, QS6.2, Roland JV-80, D-10, D-110, Custom-built PC running Sonar X2
Band: Trial By Faith

Post by justin_havu » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:31 am

For me, it's the X3. Terrible interface, and a bear to program. And only two global effects in the Sequencer.
Waveforms, and filters, and knobs. Oh my!