Worst Korg synth EVER!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Fri May 30, 2008 3:08 pm

Poly-61 (Korg's answer to Roland's Juno series), thin sounding as h**l and was just horrible, however had a playfully usable arpeggiator.

| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Fri May 30, 2008 3:14 pm

Syn303 wrote:Poly-61 (Korg's answer to Roland's Juno series), thin sounding as h**l and was just horrible, however had a playfully usable arpeggiator.

Far from truth.
Big bouncy shaky basses and one of the most unique filters in synth world which, with high resonance, resembles vocoder sounds. If it had effects, well, a chorus simply, it wouldn't be dismissed so often.

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Fri May 30, 2008 3:17 pm

I have an MS2000 and a KP2, and I must say the KP2 isnt getting much use but the MS2000 is and Im loving it, as my first synth. Although at the same time I hate the bloody things because I know now Ive started on this they'll be no end to it, its gonna cost me a bloody fortune!!!!

Looking at a Wavestation next!!!

On and an EMX, Mixing Desk, Sampler.......

See what i mean!!!

FK!

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri May 30, 2008 3:35 pm

Jexus wrote:
Syn303 wrote:Poly-61 (Korg's answer to Roland's Juno series), thin sounding as h**l and was just horrible, however had a playfully usable arpeggiator.

Far from truth.
Big bouncy shaky basses and one of the most unique filters in synth world which, with high resonance, resembles vocoder sounds. If it had effects, well, a chorus simply, it wouldn't be dismissed so often.
yeah, i don't understand.

maybe syn303's unit had issues - from the demos i've heard the p-61 is a righteous poly.
very nice sound in this one (w/ outboard delay):
http://www.oegb.at/chemie/cafe/poly61_workshop.mp3
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

lemurman
Gear: Bassline, Evolver, SH101, K-Station, EMX, MS10, XBase09, MS2000r, X0xb0x

Post by lemurman » Fri May 30, 2008 3:42 pm

gfriden wrote:
JSRockit wrote:Korg ER-1
Why do so many people dislike this unit I wonder? Is there someone here who can say something good about it?
Good things to say about the ER1 #512:

It's simplicity and ease of use

- It really is as far away from a boutique instrument as you can get - everyone's got one (or had one and sold it), they're cheap as chips and plastic and horrible... and yet I've seen people with zero music experience take to it like no other machine. No menus (pretty much), simple controls, step or real time input - easy. Give one to someone with no prior interest or synth skills and I guarantee they'll be making interesting rhythms within minutes - Won't necessarily be 'good' rhythms but they'll be interesting :)

gfriden

Post by gfriden » Fri May 30, 2008 4:08 pm

JSRockit wrote:
gfriden wrote:
JSRockit wrote:Korg ER-1
Why do so many people dislike this unit I wonder? Is there someone here who can say something good about it?
I like drum machines with the boom and the bap...not the poof and the fizz.
What's a boom & bap drum machine? Cr-78, TR-808?
Art is not a copy of the real world. One of the damn things is enough.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri May 30, 2008 4:44 pm

gfriden wrote:
JSRockit wrote:
gfriden wrote: Why do so many people dislike this unit I wonder? Is there someone here who can say something good about it?
I like drum machines with the boom and the bap...not the poof and the fizz.
Something with a deep kick and a snappy snare... more hip-hop than old school electronic.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri May 30, 2008 4:53 pm

Jexus wrote:

Far from truth.
I can already see the ebay prices rising :lol:

The poly-61 is a deeply underrated synth. They are an unbelievable bargain at the prices I see them go for.

Keep an eye for the rare MIDI version, the Poly-61m.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Fri May 30, 2008 5:04 pm

shaft9000 wrote:
Jexus wrote:

Far from truth.
yeah, i don't understand.

maybe syn303's unit had issues - from the demos i've heard the p-61 is a righteous poly.
very nice sound in this one (w/ outboard delay):
http://www.oegb.at/chemie/cafe/poly61_workshop.mp3

My Poly-61 never had issues, i remember going to buy a JX-3P from a guy who was selling one for £70 (minus PG-200) back in '95, when i got to his house to pick up the JX-3P, he said he had another keyboard as well, and he showed me the Poly-61, and said i could take it away for free with the JX-3P, in the end i gave him another £10 for it, and the Poly-61 was in excellent condition too. I just thought the bass-end was thin, it was good for strings, but that was about it. I guess people have different views on it, i'm not much of a Korg fan, maybe perhaps why i didn't like the Poly-61 or the other Korg's i came into contact with like the EX-800, X5D, Karma, EA-1. ER-1 was a great little unit, good for sound effects besides it's drum sounds (modelled from the Z1).
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri May 30, 2008 5:13 pm

JSRockit wrote:
gfriden wrote:
JSRockit wrote: I like drum machines with the boom and the bap...not the poof and the fizz.
Something with a deep kick and a snappy snare... more hip-hop than old school electronic.
I'm digging the poof and the fizz, so far. The ER does what I always think of as the steam-powered drum machine sound pretty well. Reminds me of early Kraftwerk or Young Marble Giants drum sounds. But yes, I could see where it would definitely be lacking in the booming department.

As for worst Korg ever (I've liked all the Korg stuff I've actually owned/played to some extent) though I've never played one, the M1 has to be one of the most aesthetically unappealing boards I've ever laid eyes on.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

justin_havu
Gear: Korg 01/W Pro X, Kurzweil PC2x, K2000VP, Alesis Quadrasynth, QS6.2, Roland JV-80, D-10, D-110, Custom-built PC running Sonar X2
Band: Trial By Faith

Post by justin_havu » Fri May 30, 2008 6:09 pm

Jexus wrote:

Far from truth.
Amen to that!

Actually, I'd use mine more if the sixth oscillator functioned as normal. The envelope gate isn't functioning at all.

I'm not a big fan of the Triton Le, simply because they could have made it expandable.
Waveforms, and filters, and knobs. Oh my!

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Fri May 30, 2008 9:55 pm

Not the worst...but a synth I would see no point in ever owning is the DW-6000, just because the DW-8000 is twice the board for a similarly stupid cheap price. It just doesn't have any advantages - it's not smaller, doesn't have a slightly different sound and isn't insanely cheaper. Even the Poly 61 has a sound that is unique, but the poor 6000 just a shadow of a better featured revision.

Again, it's not the worst (especially if it shares the same filter), but since it's not like 1/10th the price of it's successor I don't see it being sought after...unless you just like the red graphics.
Too futurist to live.

Villi
Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Post by Villi » Sat May 31, 2008 1:43 am

If looks are anything to go by...

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Sat May 31, 2008 2:05 am

Poly-800. But the important thing was that I was able to resale it for more than what I paid for it. :P
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

mute

Post by mute » Sat May 31, 2008 3:27 am

Jexus wrote:
Phollop Willing PA wrote:
Jexus wrote:Image

?
I wish I had tried the 707 when it came out. It reminds me of the Prophecy a bit.

What was your experience with the 707?
None.
That's why I gave the bold question mark.
Looks weak and the prices have always been very low.
So either it's underrated, or c**p, I gather.

i just noticed it has hooks for straps! lols.