Worst Korg synth EVER!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Sat May 31, 2008 7:53 am

meatballfulton wrote:
Phollop Willing PA wrote:What was your experience with the 707?
It's basically a Yamaha FB01 synth engine with a keyboard and a quasi-subtractive programming interface. Same as the DS-8 but fewer keys and M1-like styling. Ran on batteries (keytar alert!!).

The bad news was that the easier programming meant you lost full control of the operators so really extreme FM stuff wasn't possible.

My vote for worst:

Micro-preset can't be the worst..it's been immortalized by OMD. Oddly enough, not the easiest sound to recreate.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

alpha5000dk
Gear: Clavia|NordRack2X
Korg|TritonLe
MFB|FilterBox
Waldorf| Rocket
National|SX-3800a

Post by alpha5000dk » Sat May 31, 2008 12:23 pm

justin_havu wrote:I'm not a big fan of the Triton Le, simply because they could have made it expandable.
You can actually get the EXB-SMPL board for the Triton Le's and the newer TR's. So a little expandable they are :wink:

On my website http://www.klejne.dk there is an old recording with the Poly-61's arpeggiator playing the bass. I really like the sound and the synth :-)

The worst Korg ever? Maybe the PSS-60, that is one cheezy bastard :D
http://homepage.mac.com/synth_seal/html/pss60.html

No, it is NOT a cheap Yamaha keyboard :wink:

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Sat May 31, 2008 2:57 pm

Neonlights84 wrote:Micro-preset can't be the worst..it's been immortalized by OMD. Oddly enough, not the easiest sound to recreate.
Is this what he used for the lead (around 1:30) ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5NDqghNxqo
Too futurist to live.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Sat May 31, 2008 4:13 pm

Or here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5B5nYjlF7E

Freeze Paul Humphreys' set up at 1:06, 1:51, 2:34, 2:42, etc. Korg MicroPreset, Emulator II and Fairlight CMI. They're just miming for the video and the synth isn't used but you can see it clearly.

Gilles
GC

alpha5000dk
Gear: Clavia|NordRack2X
Korg|TritonLe
MFB|FilterBox
Waldorf| Rocket
National|SX-3800a

Post by alpha5000dk » Sat May 31, 2008 4:13 pm

AstroDan wrote:
Neonlights84 wrote:Micro-preset can't be the worst..it's been immortalized by OMD. Oddly enough, not the easiest sound to recreate.
Is this what he used for the lead (around 1:30) ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5NDqghNxqo
Yes it is!
But erhm... he is using it all the time... :wink:

justin_havu
Gear: Korg 01/W Pro X, Kurzweil PC2x, K2000VP, Alesis Quadrasynth, QS6.2, Roland JV-80, D-10, D-110, Custom-built PC running Sonar X2
Band: Trial By Faith

Post by justin_havu » Sat May 31, 2008 6:28 pm

alpha5000dk wrote:
justin_havu wrote:I'm not a big fan of the Triton Le, simply because they could have made it expandable.
You can actually get the EXB-SMPL board for the Triton Le's and the newer TR's. So a little expandable they are :wink:

On my website http://www.klejne.dk there is an old recording with the Poly-61's arpeggiator playing the bass. I really like the sound and the synth :-)

The worst Korg ever? Maybe the PSS-60, that is one cheezy bastard :D
http://homepage.mac.com/synth_seal/html/pss60.html

No, it is NOT a cheap Yamaha keyboard :wink:
True, but as far as wave rom, what you hear is what you get.
Waveforms, and filters, and knobs. Oh my!

discointellect
Gear: Doepfer A100 / MFB / Analogue Solutions Modular, Sequentix P3, Waldorf uQ KB, Cheetah MS6
Band: Diverse Audio Laboratory

Post by discointellect » Sat May 31, 2008 6:49 pm

I've not had a lot of experience with Korg gear, though I have to say I really liked my Electribe EA1. Maybe not the most versatile soundwise, but a very inspiring instrument in the way that simple devices often can be. I'm going to nominate the Korg DSM1 which is a sampler rather than a synth, but so what - it was the rackmount version of the DSS1 but without any of the features that made the DSS1 an interesting instrument and it had a deeply unpleasant OS. It was my only sound source for the best part of two years mind, so it's a bit of a love / hate relationship.

BritSynths

Post by BritSynths » Sat May 31, 2008 9:47 pm

Neonlights84 wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:
Phollop Willing PA wrote:What was your experience with the 707?
It's basically a Yamaha FB01 synth engine with a keyboard and a quasi-subtractive programming interface. Same as the DS-8 but fewer keys and M1-like styling. Ran on batteries (keytar alert!!).

The bad news was that the easier programming meant you lost full control of the operators so really extreme FM stuff wasn't possible.

My vote for worst:

Micro-preset can't be the worst..it's been immortalized by OMD. Oddly enough, not the easiest sound to recreate.

Granted it was used by OMD, but only as they were skint and couldn't afford a proper synth
DW8000,MS2000B,JX3P,PG200,SH-32,JV-1010,MU90R, TX81Z,CZ101,VZ8M, Drumstation,AStation,XR10,RT-232,VirusB,K4R,Proteus 2000:Oscar,PhilipRees CSF,C16,Roland Gaia, Studiologic Sledge,Quasimidi Quasar,NanoSynth,NanoBass,Korg 03/RW, SR-88

paugui

Post by paugui » Sat May 31, 2008 10:06 pm

I only have 4 Korg Synths, the Triton Pro, Poly 800 MkII, SG-Rack and 03R/W, and of these 4 my vote would go to the 03R/W, as I'm going only to compare those that I know.

The 03R/W has an horrible interface, if I haven't got the RE1 too, which improves a lot the interface giving it a really good interface, I would have probably sold it by now.
The sounds aren't bad, but it just doesn't seem that good if you compare it with the Triton, which is by far the one I like most from the Korg synths I have.
It is still a good solution for rompler sounds, and since I have the RE1 and some cards for it I don't think I'll sell it in the nearest future, only if I really need too.

The SG-Rack is limited but does great piano sounds, much better than the ones from my Triton with EXB-PCM01 installed, so it really couldn't get my vote :P

The Poly 800 could be a good candidate, because it seems to my hears that most of it's sounds are abused by the internal delay. But that's just the programmed sounds, as I guess mine came with the original factory presets.
Still it seems much worse than my other analog synth, the Cheetah MS6.

The Triton is a really cool synth, so totally out of this race :P

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:15 am

I don't know what the worst Korg is, but in the seventies and early eighties most Korg synths were considered entry-level budget items. They sometimes came up with a couple of innovative or unusual features that other synths didn't have, but inexplicably they would leave out some important basic functions. They didn't really make anything to rival the Oberheims, Prophets, MemoryMoogs, CS80's, Jupiters, etc. Few, if any pros were seen using Korgs in those days. It is only in the last several years that older Korgs have gained respect as almost anything analog has become desirable. I think a lot of Korg's new-found popularity is due to their prices falling so low for a time they were picked up by some younger up and coming artists whose work with these instruments is now much revered.
In fact, out of all the Southern California music stores I frequented in the 70's I can't even recall seeing an MS series or any other Korg. My first encounter was using a MaxiKorg that was a house instrument in a recording studio in the late 70's. It wasn't until the Polysix that I saw a Korg in a store. I went right out and bought a Poly 800 after seeing it demo-ed at the Anaheim NAMM show in 1984. I wasn't aware of the MS20 until about six or seven years ago when I acquired one by chance not even knowing what it was until I got home and looked it up on line.
Last edited by V301H on Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

Analog Freak

Post by Analog Freak » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:32 am

My vote for the worst Korg synthesizer is the Polysix. Don't get me wrong, they sound great, and they have a lot of good features. The problem is that the stupid batteries have a tendency to leak all over the motherboard and jam up the works. It's a real mess figuring out which traces are shot, and then repairing and bypassing them to get it to work again. For some odd reason the leaking battery problem doesn't seem to be nearly as common on the Poly-61 as it was with its predecessor.
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:40 am

StepLogik wrote: Image

and I have one too!
still can't go to a store and use a workstation without getting extremely frustrated at the fact that these things try to do EVERYTHING FOR YOU (karma, M3, micro X, etc)

i just want to bang out on the "jungle kit" and put the hip hop kids to shame in the rompler room :lol:
god elton can't you suck

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:58 am

BritSynths wrote:
Neonlights84 wrote:
meatballfulton wrote: It's basically a Yamaha FB01 synth engine with a keyboard and a quasi-subtractive programming interface. Same as the DS-8 but fewer keys and M1-like styling. Ran on batteries (keytar alert!!).

My vote for worst:

Granted it was used by OMD, but only as they were skint and couldn't afford a proper synth
You're probably right, but even so, its not easy to mimic that sound on a traditional 2 osc analog mono. I can get close on my LP, buts its not quite the same. The preset sound of the Micro Preset is hard to emulate, cause the KMP basically features a mixer section which allows you to fade different instruments in and out, plus filter control.

It's funny, its so bad, its unique and desirable.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:40 am

the Audio Galery :)
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:03 am

the EA and ER will alawys be loved by some, hated by others. atleast they make for extremely cheap and simple xox sequencers? I've always loved the strange sounds from my ER, but I'm starting too to experience just how thin sounding they are.

Fun, definately! I mean, 4 modeling drum sounds with lots of hands-on control, hats, clap and crash samples (poor ones, but still nice to have), es easy as it gets sequencing, absolutely way out delay and motion sequencers, and even 2 mono inputs that can be sequenced to add further weirdness. and all of this for around $150 or less. Get a drumstation too and you should have a very nice combo for little money.

yes, the sound is not all that, but everything else is.. I'm having a hard time letting mine go. I dont think gear that can so easily be enjoyed by almost anyone, even tho the results don't always fit in a proper studio release, should qualify for "worst" gear. I would probably vote for any knob-less, menu-diving synth with poor sound over a knobby, hands-on, fun synth