What turned you on to electronic/synth music?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Jexus

Post by Jexus » Sat May 31, 2008 6:16 pm

downgrade wrote: Dynamix II

Sedona

that's their song ?

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Sat May 31, 2008 6:32 pm

for me, it was not a band or anything. i went to french immersion school, and we had monthly cultural presentations. typically it was major boring (to a kid in grade 5) stuff like "a musical history of the acadiens". then, one day, a guy shows up to show us synthesizers and samplers.
mind.blown.
i pestered my folks for my first yamaha pss as soon as i got home.
i actually wish i could find that guy and thank him.
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Sat May 31, 2008 6:34 pm

I first got into electronic music when I went to Disney World. I loved the analog sounds of the light parade and the music used on the rides like space mountain. I think I was around 8 or younger.
Well fffff.

discointellect
Gear: Doepfer A100 / MFB / Analogue Solutions Modular, Sequentix P3, Waldorf uQ KB, Cheetah MS6
Band: Diverse Audio Laboratory

Post by discointellect » Sat May 31, 2008 6:35 pm

Actually, that reminds me of a school trip I went on when I was about 10 to see a lecture on 'Science and Sound'. Can't remember anything about it other than the chap having this keyboard with non-moving keys (I suspect it was a Wasp or something) and that I was raving about it afterwards. That might have had some effect too.

mute

Post by mute » Sat May 31, 2008 6:50 pm

kraftwerk, the doors, depeche mode, the cars, the intro to van halen's 1984, afrika bambata and other electro / breakdance / hiphop of the early 80s like 'egyptian lover'. i can't say anything every really turned me on per say.. its more like i would get way excited everytime i heard something on tv or the radio that was coming from a synth/organ/drum machine/etc. it didnt matter what kind of music it was. i still vividly remember the first time i saw a sampler.. it was stevie wonder on the cosby show showing off his Emu II to the Cosby family. The earliest song i can recall hearing that was 100% electronic was kraftwerk (computer world and pocket calculator), when i was around 6 or 7 years old.

downgrade
Gear: Evolver. Syntecno TeeBee MKIII. Vermona DRM1 MKII. Nova modded SH-101. MAM SQ16. AS Red Square V2. Thingamakit. MFB Kraftzwerg. Sherman FilterBank V1

Post by downgrade » Sat May 31, 2008 6:53 pm

Jexus wrote:
downgrade wrote: Dynamix II

Sedona

that's their song ?

yeah, it is. came out much later in their existence.....03 I think?

vocoder in that track is sooooo dirty, I love it :D

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sat May 31, 2008 7:15 pm

Hossinfeffa wrote:I first got into electronic music when I went to Disney World. I loved the analog sounds of the light parade and the music used on the rides like space mountain. I think I was around 8 or younger.
I used to see that parade at Disneyland in CA when I was really little and it scared the c**p outta me. I like it now, though you have to see it at the other park across from there.

I think it has something to do with my love for synths.

The main reason why though, is I went on the Gravitron at the fair in the late 90's with a friend when I was about 8 or 9. We rode it dozens of times and they played a TON of eurodance and that's where my fascination came from. I didn't really get into synths until about 4 years ago, though.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Sat May 31, 2008 7:22 pm

This man here. Watching Miami Vice is what got me into synths and threw my a*s into a decade 10 years before me.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by guesswho » Sat May 31, 2008 7:47 pm

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat May 31, 2008 8:02 pm

ARP2.600 IN 2112 IZ STRIKKLY 4 MY n****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rr: :bigsmurf: :bom: :shaking:
:thumbright: :tongue: :glasses9:
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

memedesigner

Post by memedesigner » Sat May 31, 2008 8:25 pm

Listening to - hundreds of times - Human Leagues Dare, Kraftwerk's Man-Machine and Logic Systems's Logic during the early years of 80s.

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Sat May 31, 2008 8:31 pm

I'm not sure I'm completely into the rest of electronic music everyone around these forums like, but I'm getting more and more into psytrance and psychodelic progressive, although I'm still more of a prog metal / prog rock musician. :D

I guess it would be Ozric Tentacles.

Non-Digital Tom
Gear: Chroma, OB-Xa, A6, Minimoog, Octave Cat, Pro One, Mini-Korg, Pro Soloist, Solina SE-IV, RMI 368x, M-101, Baldwin Harpsichord, Mellotron 400D, etc

Post by Non-Digital Tom » Sat May 31, 2008 8:36 pm

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Sat May 31, 2008 9:22 pm

I think for myself it was a subconscious process...i had always liked singles by the Human League, Daft Punk, Gary Numan, and Flock of Seagulls, but i was never fully aware of a larger genre of electronic oriented music which revolved around the synthesizer..h**l, I'm not sure i even knew what a synthesizer was, or what it looked like.

Anyways, I went off to college, and I was exposed to Kraftwerk, and Rammstein at the same time. At this point, my love of music had reached the point where i no longer wanted to just listen to it, I wanted to make it. But since i knew i was rubbish at guitar, I found it interesting these groups made such heavy use of the keyboard. The coup de gras was dealt by a double shot of Freezepop and the Faint. At that point, I began scouring the internet for my first synth, and I'm sure I bothered you all by joining in the 2004 topic of the year, "Micron or Microkorg?". :D Anways, I got a micron, and the rest is history..

Now I'm listening to Absolute Body Control, Solvent, Le Syndicat Electronique, Patrick Cowley etc. It's been great! Now if i can just find a nice poly synth..
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Sat May 31, 2008 9:26 pm

For me, it was The Human League. I loved 'Dare' when i first heard it but when i heard 'Reproduction' and 'Travelogue' i just fell in love. Those two albums changed my life and are my favorite albums EVER.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,