What turned you on to electronic/synth music?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
downgrade
Gear: Evolver. Syntecno TeeBee MKIII. Vermona DRM1 MKII. Nova modded SH-101. MAM SQ16. AS Red Square V2. Thingamakit. MFB Kraftzwerg. Sherman FilterBank V1

Post by downgrade » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:06 am

Suburban Bather wrote:
downgrade wrote:
Jexus wrote:
Sedona

that's their song ?

yeah, it is. came out much later in their existence.....03 I think?

vocoder in that track is sooooo dirty, I love it :D
Where they hiding?

:lol:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:59 am

‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:44 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Image

I think the singer believes his glasses and fro give him super sexual powers.

Seriously though, I've never actually dove into this bands back catalog, but these well known tunes are freaking awesome though! Good call Automatic Gainsay!

A lot of rock from the 70's never fails to amaze me with the songwriting/production skills.

lost cause
Gear: Tons of softsynths, JU-60 & Pro DCB Mk3, MSQ-700, XV-2020 & SRX-07, KMS-30, K2000

Post by lost cause » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:49 am

1982. I was 13 years old. It was my first experiment with psychoactive substances and my first time hearing TD. My friend borrowed Force Majeure from his elder brother and we listened to side 1 over and over again all night. Life changing stuff!
:wink:

xonox

Post by xonox » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:58 am

When i was a kid, i always seemed to like the electronic sounds in songs. It started with some beatles songs and other stuff of that era. In the mid 80s i got fascinated by the dx7. How i wished to have one. My parents bought me a Yamaha portasound which was really cool. Couldn't stop playing with it. Later discovered rap and loved it. Then around 1993, i started to not like rap as much. Then it happened...

I bought a new walkman. One night i was sitting outside, checking out various radio stations on that walkman. Then i heard someone on a station say "coming up next, some Aphex Twin". What i heard changed my life. I was so excited. Fully electronic music. Since then, i've been into electronic music. Wish i had discovered kraftwerk back in the days.

Techno changed my life.

synthman

Post by synthman » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:13 am

As a child, I loved such theme tunes as,-'' CAPTAIN SCARLET,'' '' LOST IN SPACE,'' ''DOCTOR WHO,''

Later on I was influenced by,- GARY NUMAN,'' ( boy what a sound ), and, ''J M JARRE,'' OXEGENE,'' act.
MY SYNTHS.-Roland JP8000, Roland JUNO 106. ROLAND W30. KORG O1/WFD. KORG MICRO. YAMAHA SYY85. NoVATION SK4. VARIOUS VSTs

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:35 am

xonox wrote:
Techno changed my life.
Quote of the year!

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:36 am

I had been playing keyboards for several years before getting into synths. It was probably Emerson Lake and Palmer more than anybody that inspired me. The first band I ever saw using synths live onstage was Curved Air in 1972 who had two VCS3's. Soon after I started seeing local bands with synths and of course I had to keep up.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

Analog Freak

Post by Analog Freak » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:22 am

The synthesizer bug bit me when I was rummaging through my mom's box of old LPs and happened to find Emerson Lake and Palmer (their first album) and Pictures at an Exhibition. I spun up the former, not expecting very much, and was pleasantly shocked by how much this album rocked. Then when they finally got around to playing Lucky Man, I sat transfixed by the haunting solo towards the end. I had to know what that sound was. I quickly learned that it was a synthesizer, and a few months later, I got a Casio keyboard for Christmas from my parents. Life has never been the same.
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.

MrHope
No Longer Registered

Post by MrHope » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:42 am

I can't remember when I didn't like electronic music.
I remember hearing interesting analog synth arpeggios in between shows on public television when I watching stuff like Mr Rogers and Sesame Street and Zoom and Electric Company. There was some kind of sponsor id logo with a synth sound accompanying it. I remember wanting to know how to make that sound.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:56 pm

synthman wrote:As a child, I loved such theme tunes as,-'' CAPTAIN SCARLET,'' '' LOST IN SPACE,'' ''DOCTOR WHO,''

Later on I was influenced by,- GARY NUMAN,'' ( boy what a sound ), and, ''J M JARRE,'' OXEGENE,'' act.
I love Ron Grainer's work in the early Doctor Whos, but also check out his fine instrumental soundtracks in Tales of the Unexpected too. Sort of loungy jazz with synth overtones...

MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

bluedad
Gear: Yamaha Motif ES rack/DX7//TG77/SY77/AN1X/MM08 MicrowaveXT/ Korg DW8000/M3r/ Ensoniq ESQ-1 /Mirage Rack/ Nord Micro DSI Mopho Roland Juno 106/D550
Band: Split Second

Post by bluedad » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:11 pm

Daily Nightly by the Monkees .., featured what is arguably the earliest synth appearance on a pop/rock record. The blips and gurgles from the Moog Modular held quite a fascination for me..Later in 1971, Blows against the Empire by Jefferson Starship fueled my imagination farther, using the synth for rocket sound fx.
The work of Chick Corea - anything by Return to Forever, but really Mad Hatter (a solo project) blew me away from the opening track 'the Forest' using synths to create the sound of crickets chirping, the rythym of water dripping etc...
Funny now to think about it, but it was sound fx that drew me to synths..but I haven't got the creativity to use them in that way. For example, if for some reason I needed a cricket, I'd be more inclined to search for a sample.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:21 pm

bluedad wrote:Daily Nightly by the Monkees .., featured what is arguably the earliest synth appearance on a pop/rock record. The blips and gurgles from the Moog Modular held quite a fascination for me..
nope, you need to check this group out (Silver Apples 1967-1970).

[img]ttp://www.urbanhonking.com/greatestband/archi ... pples1.gif[/img]

Then there's the Theremin on some early stuff (Beach Boys) and I'm not sure, but I believe Lothar & The Hand People predate too.

The Doctor Who theme was scored in about 1963 (does that count?)
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Tardis

Post by Tardis » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:45 pm

This TV show is the #1 reason...

These guys...

Synth parts from this movie...(there are other movies, I remember this one the most, seen it at least 50+times) :)
I know every line in every scene...
"When natural inclination develops into a passionate desire, one advances towards his goal in seven-league boots." ~Nikola Tesla~

xonox

Post by xonox » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:38 pm

Suburban Bather wrote:
xonox wrote:
Techno changed my life.
Quote of the year!
I wasn't even kidding :) It's the quote of my life.

It may appear strange to some. In my case, i discovered techno when i was in a shitty period of my life and made me look forward to hearing more new things.