What turned you on to electronic/synth music?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:48 pm

Genesis's Three Sides Live turned me into a synth freak, then Depeche Mode's Black Celebration/Music for the Masses, Kraftwerk's electric café, Skinny Puppy's Vivisect Vi in combination with Vangelis Direct and Jarre records made me turn from a synth freak to an "all-synths-freak" forever (until know :wink: )
mis psiquicos y yo
In electronic music, sequencers are as important as synths, they all modify your composition and playing

wildstar
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Virus TI2, PC3K6, Ultra E4XT, Nord Lead 3

Post by wildstar » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:06 am

Micke wrote:
wildstar wrote:1. John Carpenter's score to Prince of Darkness.

Changed my life, still influencing me. Hit me at a young age, then was forgotten and latent for years.
That's a darn cool synth-score. The good 'ol Oberheim four-voice was used a lot for bass sounds on this score. The powerful bass part on "Team Assembly" for example was from an Emulator II on a PPG bass sound with the four-voice midi'd to it.

Micke
DUDE. I am forever in your debt. Seriously - any time you're in NYC, the beer is on me. I have been trying to figure that one out for a long time.

Do you have any other info on patches and sounds from that score? Especially the bass from "h**l Breaks Loose," and many of the thick vocal pads and vocal effects. I love John Carpenter's work on that film, and it's always a source of inspiration to me in my own scoring work (I'm a film/TV/web composer and sound designer.)

Cheers
"Asteroids do not concern me."

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:33 am

1) "The model" by kraftwerk. I was 9 years old...

2) "On the road again" by Rockets... I don't know if they are known outside Italy/France. Rockets was a space-rock band. A lot of synths, vocoders in every songs... a large gong were used:
http://www.lastfm.it/music/Rockets/+vid ... YhcspYU_SY
http://www.lastfm.it/music/Rockets/+vid ... RnKphOPgtk
http://www.lastfm.it/music/Rockets/+vid ... lztPtOByMY
http://www.lastfm.it/music/Rockets/+vid ... 7dEOaS6c44

3) magic Fly by Space (you MUST watch this):
http://www.lastfm.it/music/Space/+videos/+1-1llNSdf9cl4

When I was 19... I got a job and bought a Korg DS8... I was in heaven...

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:01 am

Grew up loving doctor who and stuff then heard/saw Monsier Jarre on a tv programme and I was hooked, got a shitty yamaha keyboard and hammerd out Oxygene 12 hours a day! ha
Got bored with keys and heard Metallica in about 87............. taught myself guitar etc
got into the whole metal thing, but still loving the odd good pop song with synth etc......... The 90s consisted of skateboarding all the time and not playing much but it introduced me to loads of different styles of music.

Finally I found a love for your typical warp artists and decided I would like to write some stuff of my own trying to mingle all elements of music I like.
Spent some money on stuff and now I'm writing in a small bedroom studio setup and also playing guitar in a seperate rock band.

Music is the best thing ever!!! I don't understand people who are not bothered and only have a handful of hits CDs........ they don't derserve to have ears!

Sorry for the essay, but I don't think I ever introduced myself to vintagesynth.

T7
No Longer Registered

Post by T7 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:28 pm

Blade Runner.

steveman

Post by steveman » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:45 pm

Tangerine Dream - Rubycon, heard (and name checked!) on some 70s BBC drama.
Jarre - Oxygene
Blade Runner (Just been watching the 'workprint' version on the 5 DVD box set, interesting seeing it w/o a lot of the well known music themes...)
70s Prog - Genesis, Floyd, Wakeman.
While I liked the fact the 80s had synths up front, didn't like a lot of the music.
Really got back into it in the 90s when I got into clubbing...

T7
No Longer Registered

Post by T7 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:56 pm

steveman wrote: Really got back into it in the 90s when I got into clubbing...
+1

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:14 pm

For me it would have to be Jarre, especially his huston concert and the laser harp. And 808States album EXEL, mind blowing for a 15 year old.

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:44 pm

T7 wrote:
steveman wrote: Really got back into it in the 90s when I got into clubbing...
+1
Another +1, they were great times :) 1988 to about 2002 when it all started to go horribly wrong. I'll be 40 next year, all the guys I work with are into generic guitar bands and they don't get my fascination. Mind you I don't get theirs either, each to their own!

One album that always interested me was an old compilation album called Sound Waves. It included a disco version of the Star Wars theme, and a reasonable rendition of Magnetic Fields 2, as well as some Vangelis stuff and a version of Westway by Sky.
Stephen(2)

alan partridge

Re: What turned you on to electronic/synth music?

Post by alan partridge » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:44 pm

early 90s UK free festival + rave scene ;.-)

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:10 pm

I've always liked distinct synth sounds in all bands, like Toto, Van Halen and rock oriented stuff.
I had a period of 80's pop around age 14, before I knew anything about synthesis.

When I was 19, my friend played me "Perfect Way" by Scritti Politti and I found it very catchy.

Bought the album and off I went...

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:38 pm

for THE album that convinced me was AIR moon safari, such a great album with great sounding. that album was made with almost only vintage synth. the song "all i need" made me search since then to get voice recorded like the one of Beth Hirsch. you can hear when she opens her mouth, it's amasing. that was for the sound. for creativity it was aphex twin, the album with come to daddy on. theyr's a song where he did only use the sound of a metal ball falling on a glass.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:58 pm

I too was "of a certain age" to have been exposed to SOB as a child. That was the first bit, and it was neat, although I wasn't a sophisticated enough listener to really appreciate it at the time. The second bit was Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein", and the in-your-face synth work on that song was what really got me interested. My first concert was the Edgar Winter Group, and I still remember Edgar with that 2600 strapped around his neck. (Which I later found out was a prop. :lol: ) Chicory Tip's "Son of My Father" was in there somewhere too. That was all the exposure I had to synth music prior to about 1972, when an easy-listening FM station in town changed its format to progressive rock and I started getting interested. Funny thing about that; the first synth music from prog that made an impression on me wasn't from Genesis or Yes or any of the usual suspects, but Golden Earring's "Vanilla Queen". GE tends to be forgotten about today, but they were a great band and they used a lot more electronics than most people realize.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:22 pm

1. old record of Hammond Novachord

2. film "Forbidden Planet"

3. gift of a used Solovox

4. Moog modular at Bradley university

5. Carlos
Last edited by rhino on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

Pilot352

Post by Pilot352 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:25 pm

1. Pink Floyd
2. Tomita
3. Carlos

Also, is it my imagination or does the third guy from the left in this photo look like Will Forte'?

Analog: Mono/Poly, Prophet '08, Juno 106
Digital: Kurzweil SP88, Yamaha DX11, Kawai K4, MS2K, AN1x
Modules: Triton (loaded), Motif ES, MS2KR, E-Mu Proteus 2K, TR626 DM, Roland U220
New Addition: Fender Rhodes 73 Mark I
So much gear... So little time!!!