Veteran seeks new module for late 70's/early 80's sounds

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
lost cause
Gear: Tons of softsynths, JU-60 & Pro DCB Mk3, MSQ-700, XV-2020 & SRX-07, KMS-30, K2000

Veteran seeks new module for late 70's/early 80's sounds

Post by lost cause » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:51 am

Hi guys,

I've been into synths for over 20 years. I've owned a Midimini, Pro-One, Microwave I & XT, Wavestation, various Juno's, JP8, JD800, JP8080, 202, 808, 909, ASQ10... the list is endless. BUT, I had my most productive musical period with quite a modest setup: Atari 1040, Roland Juno2 & PG300, Roland S330, Korg M3/r and Yamaha TX81Z.

At the moment I have a Juno 60 and MSQ700 to sequence it. I love the Juno because it's so simple to use and sounds good. Apart from the Juno I reluctantly use softsynths. I also have an XV-2020 with SRX-07 which I never use. I just don't like it.

I'm looking for a brand new synth module that's capable of making the sounds I love. I'm into late 70's and early 80's electronica/dance music, think Linndrum and DMX beats, not 808 and 909.

I particularly want a module that's capable of killer bass sounds, ring mod and FM would also be nice. It must be relatively easy to use (intuitive) but with enough scope to keep me happy for years to come. Lots of knobs and no sub menus would be great!

The problem: I now live in a country in SE Asia where it's impossible to audition equipment, so I have no choice but to buy without trying first! Also, the country where I live has ridiculously high import taxes, so importing from the US or using Ebay to find 2nd hand stuff is out of the question. My only option is to order NEW stuff from a dealer in Singapore, fly over there to pick it up and smuggle it back into the country myself.

I've trawled the forums (this one and others) and downloaded as many mp3 demo's as I can, but I'd still like some input from people that know what they're talking about. I don't want to make another expensive mistake, because by god I've wasted thousands on synths that didn't turn out to be what I wanted or weren't suitable for me.

So, options I'm considering:

Prophet '08 module - reasonable price, real analogue and polyphonic, sounds good, lots of modulation options and the closest thing I'll get to a P5.

Access Virus TI module - expensive and versatile, but is it right for my kind of music?

Evolver desktop - cheap and versatile, but only monophonic and not a great user interface, maybe a good companion to the Juno though? Lots of sonic possibilities and the money I save could go on a UAD-1 card and plugins.

I'd really value your thoughts. Which one fits my requirements?

THM
Gear: ARP 2600
Elka Synthex
EML Polybox
EMS SynthiAKS
mTron
MOOG Mini- & Memorymoog
Oberheim SEM
Roland Jupiter-8/...
Yamaha CS80
DotCom
>see MySpace
Band: THM

Post by THM » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:42 pm

Prophet-08 - no doubt.
Great sound, lots of features (incl. RM and even ability of FM), and real analog sound.
DotCom Modular * ARP 2600 * Elka Synthex * EML PolyBox * EMS Synthi AKS * MOOG Minimoog Model D, Memorymoog * Kurzweil PC88 * Oberheim SEM * Roland Jupiter-8, JP-8080, Juno-60, TR808, TB303, MKS50, RE301, SDE330, SRV330 * Yamaha CS0 * see THM on MySpace