Vale Poly Evolver Rack!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Vale Poly Evolver Rack!

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:36 am

So the PER has been discontinued, I imagine due to fairly poor sales because the PEK offered a lot more for not a huge amount more cash.

I wonder if they'll replace it with anything like the Desktop P08 so people will still be able to add voices to their MEKs and PEKs? I had intended to pick up a PER at some point to go with my MEK, looks like it might have to be on the second-hand market now...

I can kind of understand why they've done it, when the PER came out the options for a polyphonic analogue were a lot fewer so it looked pretty good, especially with the computer editor. There's a whole lot more out there now, mostly due to DSI, so I guess people aren't choosing the PER unless they've already got an Evolver Keyboard and want more polyphony, and that probably isn't a big market. It's a pity though, I always liked the idea that if I bought a PEK I could spec it up to 20 voices if I really wanted to.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:07 am

I personally think the biggest design flaw was the 4 voices (whether PER or PEK).... I know they eventually rectified that (slightly) with the P08, but I think some of the thunder was gone by that point. If they had released the P08 first, and then the PEK/PER, there would be a more obvious distinction, but as it was, I'm sure a lot of people were hoping the PEK/PER could be THAT analog poly...but then it wasn't.
Do you even post on vse bro?

GeneralBigbag

Re: Vale Poly Evolver Rack!

Post by GeneralBigbag » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:38 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: I wonder if they'll replace it with anything like the Desktop P08 so people will still be able to add voices to their MEKs and PEKs? I had intended to pick up a PER at some point to go with my MEK, looks like it might have to be on the second-hand market now...
I would be all over that. For me it was the 'one knob' thing that stopped me.
virb.com/ookpikk

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:11 am

i can't help but think how the Prophet VS rack is worth several hundred more than the Prophet VS keyboard. i think the encoders on the Evolvers are the design flaw, the PER will probably age well.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:14 pm

As soon as a synth is discontinued that automatically makes it sound better than synths still in production :?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:48 pm

meatballfulton wrote:As soon as a synth is discontinued you stop taking its existance for granted.
Sorted that sentence out for you. :thumbleft:

filtermod

Re: Vale Poly Evolver Rack!

Post by filtermod » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:05 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:I had intended to pick up a PER at some point to go with my MEK, looks like it might have to be on the second-hand market now...
I just got an MEK with the intention of doing the same thing.
This is quite a bummer to me! :cry:
you can't fix stupid

BluMunk
Gear: RD700GX
Korg M3-61/Radias
Dave Smith PER
Virus Snow
FS1R
JV-2080/Xpanded
D-550
Matrix 6R
Proteus
QSR
Band: Sneezeguard

Post by BluMunk » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:07 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:I personally think the biggest design flaw was the 4 voices (whether PER or PEK).... I know they eventually rectified that (slightly) with the P08, but I think some of the thunder was gone by that point. If they had released the P08 first, and then the PEK/PER, there would be a more obvious distinction, but as it was, I'm sure a lot of people were hoping the PEK/PER could be THAT analog poly...but then it wasn't.
I bought a PEK (from someone here), and sold it because 4 voices was just not enough. I thought about getting a rack to add eight voices, but that was more money than I wanted to sink into the one instrument.

filtermod

Post by filtermod » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:53 pm

Even with just one voice I can spend hours doing sound design with my MEK. The only problem I have with it is that I haven't accomplished anything else in the week since I bought it! :)
you can't fix stupid

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:31 am

BluMunk wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:I personally think the biggest design flaw was the 4 voices (whether PER or PEK).... I know they eventually rectified that (slightly) with the P08, but I think some of the thunder was gone by that point. If they had released the P08 first, and then the PEK/PER, there would be a more obvious distinction, but as it was, I'm sure a lot of people were hoping the PEK/PER could be THAT analog poly...but then it wasn't.
I bought a PEK (from someone here), and sold it because 4 voices was just not enough. I thought about getting a rack to add eight voices, but that was more money than I wanted to sink into the one instrument.
wait... um, didn't I sell you mine? :lol:

BluMunk
Gear: RD700GX
Korg M3-61/Radias
Dave Smith PER
Virus Snow
FS1R
JV-2080/Xpanded
D-550
Matrix 6R
Proteus
QSR
Band: Sneezeguard

Post by BluMunk » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:37 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
BluMunk wrote:
Indeed! (was hoping you'd get that). :)

But yeah, I used it for about a month, but found that four voices was was really at least two too few.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:49 am

Hmm. I had ideas to add one to my MEK at some point. Regarding the price, the PER here in the UK could be had for around £900, but the PEK is around £1500. It would be nice to see a 6- or 8-voice rack though, even if it would be more costly.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:07 am

I was also intending on getting a PER for my MEK as it would have kept size down, and gave me 5 voices for less than the cost of a PEK.

wow, that sentence sounds like a secret code or something...
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:58 pm

filtermod wrote:...The only problem I have with it is that I haven't accomplished anything else in the week since I bought it! :)
agreed...I got an MEK in Feb, and to be honest, all I have done is play around programming...I keep thinking, maybe I need to sell this thing, and get something else, because I am not writing any music...it also may be a stylistic thing...

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:08 pm

BluMunk wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
BluMunk wrote: I bought a PEK (from someone here), and sold it because 4 voices was just not enough. I thought about getting a rack to add eight voices, but that was more money than I wanted to sink into the one instrument.
Indeed! (was hoping you'd get that). :)

But yeah, I used it for about a month, but found that four voices was was really at least two too few.
I occassionally manage to catch things! :lol:

I probably didn't think the 4 voices was my reason for selling at the time, but in retrospect, it probably was.... I wish I could have seen beyond that limitation, but I couldn't... I also didn't need the sequencer. It was a lot of fun, but I just don't make music like that. SO maybe I should have just gotten 2 PERs! But what fun is that trying to program those things from a screen!

I CAN still see getting a MEK tho-it makes more sense to try and exploit one voice to its maximum rather than being unhappy with 4 and not taking advantage of all the multitimbral aspects..