The Moog Guitar is HERE!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ZeeOne
Gear: Just guitars for now

Post by ZeeOne » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:50 am

I guess you could say I'm a purist in that I don't think guitars and synths should mix on the same instrument. I've never liked the Roland GR-synths, and frankly I think the Avatar deserved to fail (they chose to release that instead of the way cooler and more innovative Chroma). I'm not saying the Moog guitar is c**p or anything, but I'd rather Moog Music have made a new polysynth-it would be nice to have other American polysynths besides the DSI PolyEvolver and Prophet '08.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:22 am

This thread is awesome. An 8 page explosion and no ones even seen(in person) or physically touched one let alone played it. Well maybe one person here has.

When I first saw the video I thought it was a pretty cool guitar. The sounds that were coming out of it were other worldy. Thanks to the info from Amos I could def appreciate the work that went into it.

Since I saw a large amount of pages I thought I'd check the excitement. This thread doesn't beat the last Moog Modular extravaganza. You guys have gone soft.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:11 pm

this thread proves, yet again, that many of us are susceptible to judging something they've never spent any time with, let alone closely watched the video.

if you watched the video and knew anything about guitars, you would be intrigued and, like me - you'd probably like to get your hands on one to take it for a spin.

i don't know how 'revolutionary' it will be, since you can make-do w/ an assortment of other gear and get similar results....but it IS unique in that everything is already built in....it's good to go ... more hands-on and integrated than any other solution.

nice to see lou reed in there :)
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:15 pm

ZeeOne wrote:I guess you could say I'm a purist in that I don't think guitars and synths should mix on the same instrument. I've never liked the Roland GR-synths, and frankly I think the Avatar deserved to fail (they chose to release that instead of the way cooler and more innovative Chroma). I'm not saying the Moog guitar is c**p or anything, but I'd rather Moog Music have made a new polysynth-it would be nice to have other American polysynths besides the DSI PolyEvolver and Prophet '08.
I gave away my Roland GR because it didn't do s**t for me. A true disappointment!

ARP went down because they were mismanaged and lost vision!

Moog's president saw innovation and weighed the risks vs. Moog being the name behind unbelievable instruments! The guitar is pretty freakin cool!
Don't judge it until you've played one.

As for a polyMoog! Only time will tell

8)

Cheers,
theglyph
Eurorack modular, Voyager w/351,MF101.102.104.105B, LP Stage, Juno-106, Siel DK600, Paia 9700, Nord Electro 2, Ensoniq MR76

7Hz

Post by 7Hz » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:34 pm

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail36.html

Meedly meedly meedly meedly meedly meedly meedly meedly meedly meedly meedly meedly meedly meedly MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

:D

BTW guys, it is possible to have an opinion about something without using it or holding it, and it is valid that people rattle off their opinion on said object on forums... I mean, otherwise we'd have to go get a LIFE or something :P
MPC-4000, Jupiter 6, Pro-One, MS-10, Arp Axxe, Ensoniq VFX, MKS-30 + PG200, (Casio VL Tone, Drumtrax, R5, DR-110...)

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:11 pm

7Hz wrote:BTW guys, it is possible to have an opinion about something without using it or holding it
This is an awesome thread. The best part was where people turned on each other and that one guy thought the scarf guy was talking to him. And then something about being poor also p***s. If I still had those GI Joes I got rid of like 15 years ago I would re-enact that part and post it on youtube.
7Hz wrote:and it is valid that people rattle off their opinion on said object on forums...
Yep all the time. Like a bag of doritos.
7Hz wrote:I mean, otherwise we'd have to go get a LIFE or something :P
What!?!?! How dare you imply that I don't have a life! For your information I have many lives. Lives of which you wish you could live! My many lives are a testament of how your one life is nothing. I laugh in your general direction. I could buy your life just to discard it. *Monopoly guy laugh*

Now if you will excuse me I have to go clean off my lives and see which one I want to live today.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:40 pm

7Hz wrote:
BTW guys, it is possible to have an opinion about something without using it or holding it, and it is valid that people rattle off their opinion on said object on forums...
I think so.

Moog has never branded a guitar before. That's pretty big news.

Hopefully it'll be the most amazing thing ever and that'll put an end to it.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:56 pm

ZeeOne wrote:I guess you could say I'm a purist in that I don't think guitars and synths should mix on the same instrument.
There is no synth features on this except for a filter.
ZeeOne wrote: I've never liked the Roland GR-synths, and frankly I think the Avatar deserved to fail (they chose to release that instead of the way cooler and more innovative Chroma).
They were in no position to release the Chroma when they released the avatar. The Chroma wasn't ready yet. They did the Avatar to try to keep them afloat in the meantime. It wasn't like an either/or situation.
ZeeOne wrote: I'm not saying the Moog guitar is c**p or anything, but I'd rather Moog Music have made a new polysynth-it would be nice to have other American polysynths besides the DSI PolyEvolver and Prophet '08.
But I'm happy they chose to do something a little different. If they had done a polysynth like everyone wanted people would've just bitched about the price as well.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:09 am

Not to mention, a lot of people's uninformed critical opinions here stem from the fact that the thing is so expensive that people can't contemplate ever being able to actually afford getting their hands on it (aside from convincing some obnoxious sales person in whatever shops carry it to let you play it for a few minutes).

It does seem cool and original. I just hope they do come out with a less deluxe, maybe $2000-something version of it, so at least I could think about saving up for one, someday.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

7Hz

Post by 7Hz » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:19 am

RobotHeroes wrote:
7Hz wrote:I mean, otherwise we'd have to go get a LIFE or something :P
What!?!?! How dare you imply that I don't have a life! For your information I have many lives. Lives of which you wish you could live! My many lives are a testament of how your one life is nothing. I laugh in your general direction. I could buy your life just to discard it. *Monopoly guy laugh*

Now if you will excuse me I have to go clean off my lives and see which one I want to live today.
Hah! Well, my one life is SO rich and varied, it is worth 10 of your so called "wish I could live" lives. My life is so involving, just telling you what I do would cause you to have a catastophic personality breakdown and become a politician!

Well here goes:

get up
check emails
have breakfast
check emails
fart
write some witty post in a forum
check emails
lunch
have a dump
check emails
read replies to a witty post i made
think of witty reply
check emails
write witty reply
check emails
have dinner
check emails
read synth forum
try to make a funny post
have a beer
check emails
have another beer
listen to about 5 minutes of music
check emails
have a beer
go to sleep

HAH! Bet you are insane with wonderment at my life NOW, so called Robot Heroes :shock:
MPC-4000, Jupiter 6, Pro-One, MS-10, Arp Axxe, Ensoniq VFX, MKS-30 + PG200, (Casio VL Tone, Drumtrax, R5, DR-110...)

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:21 am

WHERE IN THE h**l IS THIER ANALOG DRUM MACHINE....
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Phollop Willing PA

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:23 am

ZeeOne wrote:I guess you could say I'm a purist in that I don't think guitars and synths should mix on the same instrument...
Here are the specs:

Product Specifications
Guitar
Double-Cutaway, Set-neck

Body
Premium Swamp Ash or Mahogany

Top Wood
Flame Maple or Quilted Maple

Fingerboard
Ebony

Finish
Tiger Eye, Tobacco Burst, Navy Mist, Plum, Emerald, Honey, Scarlet, Aqua.
(See Finish Chart)

Neck
7degree Angled Peghead, 22 Fret, 12" Radius, 25 1/2" Scale, Headstock finished to match body.

Pickups
2 custom-designed Moog pickups
Piezo saddles in bridge.

Output
The piezo is blended in with the normal output of the Moog Guitar and it can be output separately thru the quarter inch jack.
The piezo does not require external power; it receives auxiliary power from an onboard 9V battery.

Hardware Finish
Gold and Black.

Bridge
Moog customized Wilkinson Tremolo with Graph Tech piezo saddles.

Strings
Custom Moog Guitar Strings;
ships with 10-52
Also available:
Packaged Set 10-52 (.010, .013, .017, .030, .042, .052)
Packaged Set 9-46 (.009, .011, .016, .026, .036, .046)
Packaged Set 11-52 (.011, .014, .018, .030, .044, .052)
Bulk Individual .012
Bulk Individual .016
Bulk Individual .042

Electronics
Moog patented Guitar Electronics including Moog Ladder Filter.

Control Knobs

Vo Power:The amount of coherent power applied to the strings to either sustain or mute them.

Piezo Blend: blends the outputs of the piezo and Moog pick-ups.

Harmonic Balance shifts the Vo Power (sustain/mute) between the neck and bridge pick-up. In the center
position the power is balanced between the neck and bridge.

Master Volume controls overall volume, including both the Moog Pick-up output as well as the piezo.

Tone/Filter controls both tone and the resonance of the Moog Ladder Filter, dependent upon the position of the Filter Mode Toggle switch.

Control Switches:

Moog Guitar Mode determines the application of Vo Power. There are three positions: Sustain, Controlled Sustain, and Mute.

Filter Mode Toggle with three positions:

Standard Guitar Tone, an articulated Moog filter (e.g similar to an auto-wah), and classic Moog Ladder Filter.

Five Position Pick-up Selector: Piezo, Moog Pick-up: Bridge Only, Both Out of Phase, Both In Phase, Neck only.

Moog Foot Pedal Controller
Controls Harmonic Blend and the frequency response of the Moog Ladder Filter. Supplies Power to the guitar.
External Control Voltage Input (0 to 5VDC)

Specifications Subject To Change Without Notification

Carrying Case

Hardshell Gold Tweed with leather bound corners
Gold Moog Logo Imprinted metal plate on outside edge
Interior Custom Form-fit for Moog Guitar body
Internal covered storage compartment
Storage compartment for expression pedal

Specifications subject to change without notice

© 2008 Moog Music - Ph (828) 251-0090 - Fax (828) 254-6233
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

7Hz

Post by 7Hz » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:27 am

wiss wrote:WHERE IN THE h**l IS THIER ANALOG DRUM MACHINE....
They are building it... it's going to have hEadcOntrol (TM) which will let your drums sustain for days, or kill them dead. Iggy Pop is going to be fed a spliff and videoed going 'hew wow man this is like awsome it changes everything' whilst hitting them.

The snare drum (the Snoog) is going to be $8700, the tom (the Toogs) $3900, and the bass drum (the Booger) $7.59

Phollop Willing PA

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:35 am

7Hz wrote:

The snare drum (the Snoog*) is going to be $8700, the tom (the Toogs*) $3900, and the bass drum (the Booger*) $7.59
*pronounced Snogue, Togue and Boguer respectively.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:23 am

Did they ever make one when they started their business?

It's the same as asking for Korg's legendary 6- or 8-voice polysynth.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.