The Moog Guitar is HERE!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:51 am

Yoozer wrote:
wiss wrote:WHERE IN THE h**l IS THIER ANALOG DRUM MACHINE....
Did they ever make one when they started their business?

It's the same as asking for Korg's legendary 6- or 8-voice polysynth.
Or their 48 voice polysynth's the PS-3xxx :)

synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Post by synth3tik » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:56 am

Moogs price points on all their stuff makes them very unappealing.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:11 am

synth3tik wrote:Moogs price points on all their stuff makes them very unappealing.
For whom?
virb.com/ookpikk

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:29 am

GeneralBigbag wrote:
synth3tik wrote:Moogs price points on all their stuff makes them very unappealing.
For whom?
Oh snap! Called you poor.

Round 2.

:lol:

(for a hobbyist expensive gear is expensive. for professionals or active musicians they are tools just like a painter needs paint)

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:38 am

hfinn wrote:Or their 48 voice polysynth's the PS-3xxx :)
Hm - I recall that they weren't exactly polyphonic in the usually understood sense of the word.
Last edited by Yoozer on Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:42 am

Yoozer wrote:
wiss wrote:WHERE IN THE h**l IS THIER ANALOG DRUM MACHINE....
Did they ever make one when they started their business?
Bob designed a drum machine that never went into production due to its massive size.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:48 am

Yoozer wrote:
hfinn wrote:Or their 48 voice polysynth's the PS-3xxx :)
But they're paraphonic, so they don't count ;).
Although, there are 48 filters and envelopes... Basically a synth circuit per key. I really don't care. I can play 48 keys at a time. :)

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:38 pm

shaft9000 wrote:this thread proves, yet again, that many of us are susceptible to judging something they've never spent any time with, let alone closely watched the video.
That's not really fair. It's not like anyone is saying "oh, this thing is s**t and it's unplayable." Most of the discussion seems to deal with just trhose kinds of things you can judge without having played the instrument -- its appearance, how it might fare in the market, whether the price is to high for the typical working musician. All things considered, I think it is possible to have informed opinions about these questions without actually trying the instrument.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:59 pm

Johnny Lenin wrote:I think it is possible to have informed opinions about these questions without actually trying the instrument.
I don't....Sorry Johnny.

I've had ten different guitars and NONE of them indicated anything about how they'd respond and play and fit w/ my music until after i'd i spent months playing each one. Playing it in the shop is not playing in the studio, nor is playing in the studio going to be like on stage. Sound is hit or miss until you match the amp settings to the guitar setting for specific tones in a song, and that usually takes a while.
Sure you can get a rippin' lead sound or sweet whatever while auditioning the guitar...but all that tells you is the quality and if you have an affinity for it.
So imho NOT playing it AT ALL is 3x removed from really knowing the guitar's behavior/tendencies/sweet spots etc...

maybe I'm just slower than most of you. i don't expect everyone to see it my way and that's a good thing.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

7Hz

Post by 7Hz » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:41 pm

Johnny Lenin wrote:It's not like anyone is saying "oh, this thing is s**t and it's unplayable." Most of the discussion seems to deal with just trhose kinds of things you can judge without having played the instrument -- its appearance, how it might fare in the market, whether the price is to high for the typical working musician. All things considered, I think it is possible to have informed opinions about these questions without actually trying the instrument.
shaft9000 wrote:I don't....Sorry Johnny.

I've had ten different guitars and NONE of them indicated anything about how they'd respond and play and fit w/ my music
shaft9000 - please read what Johnny wrote - he didn't say anything about playability at all... you are talking about a totally different thing to him.
MPC-4000, Jupiter 6, Pro-One, MS-10, Arp Axxe, Ensoniq VFX, MKS-30 + PG200, (Casio VL Tone, Drumtrax, R5, DR-110...)

filtermod

Post by filtermod » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:24 pm

you can't fix stupid

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:53 pm

GeneralBigbag wrote:Could it, oh I don't know...possibly be that much, because it sounds really f**k good?
So you've played one than? Do give us a thorough review. :roll: :lol:
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:03 pm

7Hz wrote:
Johnny Lenin wrote:It's not like anyone is saying "oh, this thing is s**t and it's unplayable." Most of the discussion seems to deal with just trhose kinds of things you can judge without having played the instrument -- its appearance, how it might fare in the market, whether the price is to high for the typical working musician. All things considered, I think it is possible to have informed opinions about these questions without actually trying the instrument.
shaft9000 wrote:I don't....Sorry Johnny.

I've had ten different guitars and NONE of them indicated anything about how they'd respond and play and fit w/ my music
shaft9000 - please read what Johnny wrote - he didn't say anything about playability at all... you are talking about a totally different thing to him.
Sorry I wasn't clearer before, 7 Hz & Johnny

I don't buy a guitar to look at it .... it gets played and cared for or it gets sold.
I'm sure this is 'bad investment practice' but in my POV I'm only investing in the sound in the long run. It messes w/ my head to worry about appreciation and 'being careful not to nick or scratch it' etc. when ALL I REALLY GOT IT FOR WAS TO HELP ME MAKE MUSIC
It's soooo subjective.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:55 pm

So it's been a while... Has any of you seen one and/or tried it yet?

I'm dying to hear it played live (not demoed).
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:22 pm

Oops!
Last edited by Automatic Gainsay on Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay