The Moog Guitar is HERE!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
steveman

Post by steveman » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:02 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:So it's been a while... Has any of you seen one and/or tried it yet?

I'm dying to hear it played live (not demoed).
Went along to a Moog Clinic at Digital Village in the UK last week. They had the guitar there, now I'm not a guitarist but I found it quite fascinating.

Sounded great. Most of the demo was w/o any FX. CLEAN sustain forever, best demo of which was unplugging the guitar from the mixer and hearing the strings sustaining by themselves. Clean sustain w/harmonics? :) Had a Moog filter on it - fixed or autowah, IMO this didn't do that much for it. Has a pedal interface the provides power, and separate outs from each pickup for stereo use. Can be used as a volume / wah pedal.

When sustaining, the strings oscillate between the 2 pickups which sounded really cool in stereo. There's a separate peizo pickup output as well for an almost acoustic sound. Things got even more interesting when they hooked it up to Moogerfoogers.

Apparently Robert Plant and John Paul Jones had checked it out that morning, Jimmy Page was due the next day...

BTW I knew Moog was small but was surprised when they said there's only around 30 employees.

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:20 am

Here are the specs:

Product Specifications
Guitar
Double-Cutaway, Set-neck

Body
Premium Swamp Ash or Mahogany

Top Wood
Flame Maple or Quilted Maple

Fingerboard
Ebony

Finish
Tiger Eye, Tobacco Burst, Navy Mist, Plum, Emerald, Honey, Scarlet, Aqua.
(See Finish Chart)

Neck
7degree Angled Peghead, 22 Fret, 12" Radius, 25 1/2" Scale, Headstock finished to match body.

Pickups
2 custom-designed Moog pickups
Piezo saddles in bridge.

Output
The piezo is blended in with the normal output of the Moog Guitar and it can be output separately thru the quarter inch jack.
The piezo does not require external power; it receives auxiliary power from an onboard 9V battery.

Hardware Finish
Gold and Black.

Bridge
Moog customized Wilkinson Tremolo with Graph Tech piezo saddles.

Strings
Custom Moog Guitar Strings;
ships with 10-52
Also available:
Packaged Set 10-52 (.010, .013, .017, .030, .042, .052)
Packaged Set 9-46 (.009, .011, .016, .026, .036, .046)
Packaged Set 11-52 (.011, .014, .018, .030, .044, .052)
Bulk Individual .012
Bulk Individual .016
Bulk Individual .042

Electronics
Moog patented Guitar Electronics including Moog Ladder Filter.

Control Knobs

Vo Power:The amount of coherent power applied to the strings to either sustain or mute them.

Piezo Blend: blends the outputs of the piezo and Moog pick-ups.

Harmonic Balance shifts the Vo Power (sustain/mute) between the neck and bridge pick-up. In the center
position the power is balanced between the neck and bridge.

Master Volume controls overall volume, including both the Moog Pick-up output as well as the piezo.

Tone/Filter controls both tone and the resonance of the Moog Ladder Filter, dependent upon the position of the Filter Mode Toggle switch.
Control Switches:

Moog Guitar Mode determines the application of Vo Power. There are three positions: Sustain, Controlled Sustain, and Mute.

Filter Mode Toggle with three positions:

Standard Guitar Tone, an articulated Moog filter (e.g similar to an auto-wah), and classic Moog Ladder Filter.

Five Position Pick-up Selector: Piezo, Moog Pick-up: Bridge Only, Both Out of Phase, Both In Phase, Neck only.

Moog Foot Pedal Controller
Controls Harmonic Blend and the frequency response of the Moog Ladder Filter. Supplies Power to the guitar.
External Control Voltage Input (0 to 5VDC)

Specifications Subject To Change Without Notification

Carrying Case

Hardshell Gold Tweed with leather bound corners
Gold Moog Logo Imprinted metal plate on outside edge
Interior Custom Form-fit for Moog Guitar body
Internal covered storage compartment
Storage compartment for expression pedal

Specifications subject to change without notice

© 2008 Moog Music - Ph (828) 251-0090 - Fax (828) 254-6233
Okay, I've gone through the specs provided by Phollop Willing PA (I haven't checked the Moog site for updates since I last looked a couple of weeks ago), and highlighted in bold the stuff that isn't 'standard' on a normal guitar, obviously dependent on what type of guitar you're buying - so that basically means the pickups and filter etc. If you look at the other stuff - set neck, AAAAA maple top, ebony fingerboard, handmade by a luthier etc. - you'll find that that stuff on its own, from any guitar maker, would cost about £2500/$5000, in which case you're paying £700/$1400 for the 'extra' stuff that defines it as THE Moog guitar - namely, the hundred or so (whatever Amos said) discrete analogue components. Personally, I don't think that's overpriced at all - my former guitar teacher was selling his '59 Les Paul Goldtop for £25000/$50000 last year (in the end he couldn't bear to part with it).

I think a lot of people are ignoring the skill that goes into making a physical instrument, as opposed to an electronic circuit. So stop complaining about the price. :x

And FWIW, I don't think it's ugly either - that green looks quite nice IMHO. The sound and innovation that it brings to the market can't be denied. And stereo output? Cool...

All praise the Moog guitar! Although I am, admittedly, perfectly happy with my strat. :lol:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:32 am

Oh, my god... look how many pages this TOTALLY OFF TOPIC POST has gone on! Since when can we talk about guitars in General???

:lol:
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:43 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Oh, my god... look how many pages this TOTALLY OFF TOPIC POST has gone on! Since when can we talk about guitars in General???

:lol:
Well keyboardists are frustrated guitarists... :lol:

Seriously, although made by a synthesizer company, with Moog technology (in association with a guitar maker/designer), you're probably right.

At the time of my original post, I had no idea what kind of 'guitar' it was other than it was branded by Moog, which make mostly synthesizers.

It's had a good run and even if it gets moved, as a synthesis and a frustrated guitarist, I'm still interested in hearing it in a live context.
Last edited by Phollop Willing PA on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:56 pm

Haha, yeah - synthesists are guitarists without any moves!

'This Marshall goes to 127'. :lol:

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:46 pm

man i'm really dying to play this thing.

i hope guitar center starts carrying them, though i'm sure with something that expensive they will ask for a deposit before you can demo it.

i also really want to hear it run through some distortion, every demo i've seen has been playing it clean, and i don't really play clean often, i want to see how the infinite sustain and muting modes affect distorted sounds
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:06 pm

Joey wrote:man i'm really dying to play this thing.

i hope guitar center starts carrying them, though i'm sure with something that expensive they will ask for a deposit before you can demo it.

i also really want to hear it run through some distortion, every demo i've seen has been playing it clean, and i don't really play clean often, i want to see how the infinite sustain and muting modes affect distorted sounds

here you go lol --->

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:14 am

ColorForm2113 wrote:
Joey wrote:man i'm really dying to play this thing.

here you go lol --->
holy f**k.

i'm sold.

now to saving.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Post by tunedLow » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:15 am

Yeah, I'm much more impressed after getting to see more of it. That's the average price of a guitar with no sustain or pickups at Mandolin Brothers in New York!

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:17 am

The guitar is capable of some pretty cool functionality.

This thread is still off topic, though. :wink:
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:07 pm

This thread is still off topic, though.
Although judging by the number of replies by people that don't play the guitar - or, indeed, know anything about guitars at all -, many synthesists still have an opinion on it :lol: . As such, I think it belongs here - people are interested in Moog after all.

Anyway, I think it's a sensible move by Moog - the number of people in the market for a $6000 guitar is much, MUCH greater than the number of people in the market for a $6000 synth. Plus it's pretty awesome.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:40 pm

The Moog Guitar falls under a special VSE mandate, reserved for EPs, Organs and drum machines.

Plus, it shares 6-note polyphony, like many synths.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:05 pm

Jack Spider wrote:The Moog Guitar falls under a special VSE mandate, reserved for EPs, Organs and drum machines.

Ha ha, okay, Andy.

What about those Moog auto parts? :wink:

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:25 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
Jack Spider wrote:The Moog Guitar falls under a special VSE mandate, reserved for EPs, Organs and drum machines.

Ha ha, okay, Andy.

What about those Moog auto parts? :wink:
Andy is wise beyond compare (here). Can you plug these auto parts into a moogerfooger? :wink:
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:40 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:Andy is wise beyond compare (here). Can you plug these auto parts into a moogerfooger? :wink:
You can plug any guitar into a Moogerfooger... hee hee