The Moog Guitar is HERE!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:01 pm

Sounds like we're getting awfully close to this:

:)

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:41 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Apologies to the mods... I wasn't bashing, just teasing... embracing the perversity of the situation.
Likewise, Marc - my reply was a tad harsh, given I'd misread the context of it.

Johnny - THAT IS FORBIDDEN!!

And now, back to VSE's very own 'Dog in the Manger' thread...
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:46 pm

Right, there's an article in the Front End section of this month's (well actually Summer 2008) issue of Guitarist; in it, it says that the expected RRP of the Moog Guitar Collector Edition is going to be £4999 - that's $9,956.53 USD! Jesus! It's not the guitar itself that's so expensive, why the h**l are they adding 50% of the price on for import? :evil: Bloody government. Hopefully Moog will bring out a non-Collector Edition that'll be cheaper, but with the same functionality and without gold hardware...I wonder when a review will appear - Guitarist say 'We heard and played the Moog guitar prior to a full test, which we'll bring you as soon as possible, and can report that it certainly works!'

P.S. Sorry to resurrect the thread, it's only ten days since the last post...

KB Crockett

Post by KB Crockett » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:19 am

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:11 pm

Moog's UK pricelist says £3999
Hmmm. That's odd; perhaps that's a 'Standard' edition that we haven't heard about yet? Wonder where Guitarist got their figure from then. :?: £3999 is much more in line with what you'd expect.

KB Crockett

Post by KB Crockett » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:52 pm

There only appears to be one version of the guitar, so one of the prices must be wrong, and I think it more likely that Guitarist slipped up than Arbiter/Moog, but to be out by £1000 is one h**l of a mistake!

cbjlietuva
Gear: Roland Juno 6 · Rhodes 73 Suitcase · Fender '63 jBass · Fender Strat+ · Casio SK1

Re:

Post by cbjlietuva » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:26 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I was thinking how cool subsequent versions would be if they had trigger buttons for the automatic vibration of each of the strings... you could play it like a six key keyboard!
like a less-user-friendly auto harp :wink:

My guitar friends have always liked the moogerfoogers, and I'm sure they've already seen the Moog Guitar. I think it's a fantastic innovation... I wonder when the Moog Bass is coming out :?: Now that would be something I'd spring three grand for :) but I'm biased because I'm a bassist at heart. At one point I was so desperate for longer sustain I nearly busted apart my sonicare toothbrush to see if I could get a free ebow out of it... all I get is an a440 oscillator, but what do you do?

I think an upside of the moog guitar is the way it looks. I saw a few pictures of similar 'devices' on guitars an basses that give you infinite sustain, but take a closer look at the moog... it still looks like a guitar... sans the pasta maker on the bridge. It seems they've done everything they can to ensure that it looks like a guitar; less gimmicky: more class, more balls, less post-modernist swank.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...Star Wars on Laserdisc