The Moog Guitar is HERE!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Pilot352

Post by Pilot352 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:35 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:...You don't seen Fender or Gibson coming up with new designs like these....
What about the Gibson Les Paul Robot that came out 6 months or so ago? It was supposed to be the next innovation in guitar technology.
splitpoint wrote:I'll admit that it appears that Moog has refined the concept a little but as an ex-guitarist (played for 20 years) I'm completely, totally, unimpressed. Especially at $6k.
There's no such thing as an "EX-GUITARIST". Once you go down that path, you will always be a guitarist. You may not play no more, but you are still "a guitarist"!! :wink:

-Pilot
Analog: Mono/Poly, Prophet '08, Juno 106
Digital: Kurzweil SP88, Yamaha DX11, Kawai K4, MS2K, AN1x
Modules: Triton (loaded), Motif ES, MS2KR, E-Mu Proteus 2K, TR626 DM, Roland U220
New Addition: Fender Rhodes 73 Mark I
So much gear... So little time!!!

filtermod

Post by filtermod » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:38 pm

Joey wrote:I definitely visualized a different thing, but what you are describing has its applications.

However, this was supposed to be a playable electric guitar, that is played like a regular electric guitar, held like a regular electric guitar, but sounds like a f**k insane electric guitar.

And it accomplishes all those things.

I want one now. I also want 7000 dollars right now, but thats a different story.
Amen Joey,

I want one too! h**l, I sometimes process my guitar so much you can't tell what instrument it is!
The ability to pick which notes/ strings sustain would open up HUGE possibilities for me. I could do things live that I can only do by overdubbing now.

I like insanity when it comes to my instruments.
So, yeah, if I had 7 G's to throw down at the moment, my order would already be in. :)
you can't fix stupid

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Pilot352 wrote:
OriginalJambo wrote:...You don't seen Fender or Gibson coming up with new designs like these....
What about the Gibson Les Paul Robot that came out 6 months or so ago? It was supposed to be the next innovation in guitar technology.
-Pilot
automatic tuning does not affect playing style or open up new avenues for playing.

plus memorizing the interface on that guitar seems to take the amount of time it would to just tune your damn guitar with a regular tuner

thats my .02 on the robot guitar
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:19 pm

Joey wrote:
filtermod wrote:No, it would sound like a pedal steel guitar.
We're not talking about a guitar made of steel we're talking about a pedal steel guitar. Which is a multi stringed guitar that is built into a table-like housing. The pedal steel also incorporates pedals which can change the pitch of single or multiple strings at a time by bending them. They are usually played with finger/ thumb picks, and heavy, solid metal slides.

As a guitar player of over 15 years I do understand your point of pickups/ wood, and amp = tone.

I think the Moog guitar is a great idea, I just can't afford it. I do, however, have a moogerfooger lowpass that I use in my guitar rig.
I definitely visualized a different thing, but what you are describing definitely has its applications.
Sounds like your still a little confused here. The steel guitar is not a theoretical instrument, but a very real one. It's been around as long, arguably longer, than the regular electric guitar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedal_steel_guitar

Although, speaking of guitars actually made of metal, the Moog guitar does sort of remind me of this thing: http://www.veleno.net/history2.htm in the sense that it may have a similarly small, rarified user base.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

sensorium

Post by sensorium » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:25 pm

I always wondered when someone would make a guitar with individual outs for each string? If someone does, please tell me who. It would be so much fun running each string through a different effect or a different delay note division....

sleestack

Post by sleestack » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:33 pm

I'm the thread killer. I'll usually say something so stupid that the thread just gets buried with no more replies.

So here is my stupid thought for the day. This guitar looks awesome, but what I think is so cool about it is its automatic muting ability and its infinite sustain perhaps opening up the possibility for making a truly useful and intimate midi guitar. The noise from the strings are what make midi guitar shitty (firing off notes when you don't want it), but an even better thing is the sustain. To be able to sustain synth pads and strings would be awesome. No need for a sustain pedal. Like a built in circuit to that listens if that string is sustaining and sending out that message to the external synth. Something like that.
Last edited by sleestack on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:37 pm

Pretty awesome. I wish they had played with the filter on the video. But for $6,500 that's crazy. Just grab a MF-101,a good guitar, and sustain pedal for under $1,500 and run your guitar through the pedal and MF-101 and there ya go. Have to give Moog their credit though for outdoing Fender and Gibson on guitar technology though. :P
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:07 pm

Could it, oh I don't know...possibly be that much, because it sounds really f**k good?
virb.com/ookpikk

splitpoint

Post by splitpoint » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:31 am

sensorium wrote:I always wondered when someone would make a guitar with individual outs for each string? If someone does, please tell me who. It would be so much fun running each string through a different effect or a different delay note division....
As I recall Kramer made one in the 80's, I want to say it was called a Ripley?
Waveframe 1000, Wavestation, OBMX, EIII, Red Square, esq1, and others...

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:13 am

Joey wrote:
take for example the minimoog. That is classic, wood grain, knobs, etc, its something that has never gone out of style.
Classic to us now, but dated and ugly to most people in the mid-80's DX7 crazy era.... I think the D-50 will look pretty "classic" in a few years.

On the other hand I know NOTHING (absoultely 0, nada) about guitar design so I'm not even gonna try to comment on this moog guitar thing. Except that if I had 6500 bucks I'd probably buy a memorymoog and some icecream 8)
Monkey business since 2007!

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:28 am

We're not talking about a guitar made of steel we're talking about a pedal steel guitar. Which is a multi stringed guitar that is built into a table-like housing. The pedal steel also incorporates pedals which can change the pitch of single or multiple strings at a time by bending them. They are usually played with finger/ thumb picks, and heavy, solid metal slides.
You don't need all those widgets to get that sound if your name's Adrian Legg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUpeQytOCLE

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:10 am

rockmanrock wrote:
You don't need all those widgets to get that sound if your name's Adrian Legg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUpeQytOCLE
That is impressive. Don't think I'd mistake it for actual pedal steel though.

I'm holding out for the Moog ukulele, that will be a truly revolutionary instrument! :wink:
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:15 am

sensorium wrote:I always wondered when someone would make a guitar with individual outs for each string? If someone does, please tell me who. It would be so much fun running each string through a different effect or a different delay note division....
Not individual outs, but still looks kind of different and cool: http://www.arbiter.co.uk/italia/electri ... andard.htm
and this: http://www.arbiter.co.uk/italia/electri ... guitar.htm

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:02 pm

splitpoint wrote:Yawn. Moog should stick to synths.
They did. This was built by other people.
Joey wrote: there is a difference between 'dated' and 'classic'
[...]
take for example the minimoog. That is classic, wood grain, knobs, etc, its something that has never gone out of style.
It did go out of style in the 80's; didn't have a display, or an LED, or presets, and the color scheme was all wrong.
Now look at a Korg 01/WFD keyboard. That is dated, barely any buttons that generic black workstation look, that is very late 80's/90's.
The only thing that's dated is the display. We've got crazy colored lighting buttons right now combined with huge color displays because it's possible, affordable, and of any use on stage.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

T7
No Longer Registered

Post by T7 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:38 pm

Just add mullet. :roll: