The Moog Guitar is HERE!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:42 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:
Joey wrote:
filtermod wrote:No, it would sound like a pedal steel guitar.
We're not talking about a guitar made of steel we're talking about a pedal steel guitar. Which is a multi stringed guitar that is built into a table-like housing. The pedal steel also incorporates pedals which can change the pitch of single or multiple strings at a time by bending them. They are usually played with finger/ thumb picks, and heavy, solid metal slides.

As a guitar player of over 15 years I do understand your point of pickups/ wood, and amp = tone.

I think the Moog guitar is a great idea, I just can't afford it. I do, however, have a moogerfooger lowpass that I use in my guitar rig.
I definitely visualized a different thing, but what you are describing definitely has its applications.
Sounds like your still a little confused here. The steel guitar is not a theoretical instrument, but a very real one. It's been around as long, arguably longer, than the regular electric guitar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedal_steel_guitar

Although, speaking of guitars actually made of metal, the Moog guitar does sort of remind me of this thing: http://www.veleno.net/history2.htm in the sense that it may have a similarly small, rarified user base.
no, I'm not confused, I know what a steel guitar is.

however, moog wanted to make an electric guitar that is held and played like a regular electric guitar, not a steel guitar.

thats what my point was.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:01 am

Joey wrote:I know what a steel guitar is.
Well, this made it sound like you didn't.
Joey wrote:
filtermod wrote:
pricklyrobot wrote:How about a steel guitar? Seems like that would be the ideal candidate for infinite sustain. And if we're talking pedal steel (as opposed to lap steel), then people are already used to fairly high-priced instruments.
That would be too cool!
great idea P.R.! :)
it would sound like a*s.

half of the guitar's tone is the wood used. the other half is the pickup and amp combination
After all, steel guitars are made of wood (the "steel" is what you use to play them with) and they generally use the same types of pickups and amps as standard electric guitars. So why would they be any more likely to sound like a*s, given the Moog guitar treatment, than would a standard guitar?

Also, the steel guitar came up as an example of what else Moog could potentially apply this technology to, not what they should've made instead.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:45 am

pricklyrobot wrote:attempting to be clever
i misunderstood what he was saying, its very easy to misinterpret things on message boards. it still has nothing to do with the moog guitar. an all steel electric guitar (Which is what I understood by his post) that is held like an electric guitar would still most likely sound like a*s.

are you done?

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:02 am

Joey wrote:are you done?
Yep.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Post by tunedLow » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:08 am

pricklyrobot wrote:
After all, steel guitars are made of wood (the "steel" is what you use to play them with) and they generally use the same types of pickups and amps as standard electric guitars. So why would they be any more likely to sound like a*s, given the Moog guitar treatment, than would a standard guitar?

Also, the steel guitar came up as an example of what else Moog could potentially apply this technology to, not what they should've made instead.

I believe the steel refers to the resonators, not the slide. And some do have steel bodies (or brass), like on some Nationals. That said, I'd guess they call a pedal steel a "steel" because of the slide. So what the h**l.

Anyway, electric steel guitars don't sound like a*s, take Tar for example, those guys played home made steel electrics and got really cool sound out of them.

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Post by tunedLow » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:10 am

Infinate banjo.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:29 am

pricklyrobot wrote:
Joey wrote:are you done?
Yep.
i just realized you were the OP of the steel guitar comment

in that case, I misunderstood what YOU were saying, but I guess you've caught onto that by now

anyway

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:47 am

tunedLow wrote:Infinate banjo.
They played Coachella last year.
Too futurist to live.

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:22 pm

It seems a bit dicey when a synth/keyboard vendor goes down the guitar path. Keyboardists are accustomed to the high-end of the new synth range being in the $4,000 range. But a high end guitar like a PRS Custom 22 is $2,500, tops. A $7,000 guitar would have to be really, really, really special -- something uber vintage and with provenance. I don't think the guitar market is primed for high-end synth prices, no matter how cool the instrument. At least not in any volume.

Slickie

Post by Slickie » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:55 pm

Johnny Lenin wrote:A $7,000 guitar would have to be really, really, really special -- something uber vintage and with provenance. I don't think the guitar market is primed for high-end synth prices, no matter how cool the instrument. At least not in any volume.
I agree. the bottom line is that guitar sound processing is far cheaper , and probably more versatile, then this and I dont buy that guitar players will be ecstatic to embrace a company that has no real merit in the guitar industry...thats why vintage Gibson L5s go for 20k on ebay alongside vintage teles and strats. They will sell about 10. It seems that a polysynth is more wanted from a company like moog.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:54 pm

Slickie wrote:It seems that a polysynth is more wanted from a company like moog.
..and if they made one, people would complain about the price of that...
virb.com/ookpikk

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:06 pm

tunedLow wrote:
Anyway, electric steel guitars don't sound like a*s, take Tar for example, those guys played home made steel electrics and got really cool sound out of them.
thought those were travis bean guitars? albini has one with a ruby in the headstock or some such mess
lightwarden wrote:
yeah, i bet jonny greenwood and trent reznor will get these immediately and will race to make a new album out of it. :)
a yawn inducing thought
T7 wrote:Just add mullet. :roll:
add a little more shut the f**k up to your diet already. i mean, how in the h**l did i know, that when i clicked on this damn thread, somebody like you would be in here pissing and moaning about the price or whatever.

get a life.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:11 pm

There'd still be complaints if it was free.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:16 pm

tallowwaters wrote:
tunedLow wrote:
thought those were travis bean guitars? albini has one with a ruby in the headstock or some such mess
The ruby headstock one is the Veleno: http://www.veleno.net/history2.htm It's all aluminum. The Travis Bean guitars, which Albini also plays (not sure about Tar though), only has an aluminum neck. Also, if you like cool, homemade instruments, check out these guys: http://www.neptuneband.com/
lightwarden wrote:
yeah, i bet jonny greenwood and trent reznor will get these immediately and will race to make a new album out of it. :)
a yawn inducing thought
+1

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:58 pm

Well, I think it can be a very expressive musical instrument if you know how to use it. And musicians like Eno, Lanois and Brook will rush out to buy one (or more), just to name a few. And the automute function will atract the soulk/funk rhythm guitarists too.

For now, only the plus riches have access to it, but it´s not overpriced if it sounds unique. I remember someone in KVR saying something like this: "My father is a classical musician. Since my childhood I got used to know that his cello is worth more than our house. It always cracks me up reading you guys complaining about 2000$ guitars."
Besides, R&D costs money...

And probably it´s an instrument meant to be at the top of a future range of affordable spin-offs.
You start with a prototype or a very expensive model to get attention and prestige and to show-off what the new technology is capable of. Yamaha did it with the GX1 and the following CS line, then with the GS1 followed by the DX line, for instance.

How about an infinite-sounding-only model for the ambient crowd and an automute-only for the soul/funk crowd? Half the features, half the price.
Would make a lot of people happy, I think. And if Moog isn´t already thinking about it, some competitor sniffing potential profits will reverse-engineer the guitar, and will take care of it, no doubt.
Herrare umanum est.