The Moog Guitar is HERE!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
theglyph

Post by theglyph » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:22 am

Jack Spider wrote:There'd still be complaints if it was free.
That's what I was thinking Jack and I've been listening to this thing for many months now! A idea of a "7K Moog guitar" didn't seem any more absurd than the idea of a "MOOG GUITAR."

As a guitar player who loves to play and tweak synthesizers though the one thing about this guitar which blows me off my feet is being able to chord/riff the guitar with my left hand in full sustain and tweak the knobs on anything the guitar is plugged into with my right hand (e.g. foogers, Voyager, LP, Waldorf Q, ect.).

It is definitely something that needs to be experienced in person to understand as no Video can do it justice.

Unfortunately, even with my Moog employee discount I won't be getting one of these any time soon! :cry:

Cheers,
theglyph
Eurorack modular, Voyager w/351,MF101.102.104.105B, LP Stage, Juno-106, Siel DK600, Paia 9700, Nord Electro 2, Ensoniq MR76

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:34 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:
tunedLow wrote:
Anyway, electric steel guitars don't sound like a*s, take Tar for example, those guys played home made steel electrics and got really cool sound out of them.
thought those were travis bean guitars? albini has one with a ruby in the headstock or some such mess
The ruby headstock one is the Veleno: http://www.veleno.net/history2.htm It's all aluminum. The Travis Bean guitars, which Albini also plays (not sure about Tar though), only has an aluminum neck. Also, if you like cool, homemade instruments, check out these guys: http://www.neptuneband.com/
lightwarden wrote:
yeah, i bet jonny greenwood and trent reznor will get these immediately and will race to make a new album out of it. :)
a yawn inducing thought
+1
I actually saw neptune live and was inspired to put a little more thought into my own auxillary percussion devices. amazing, simply amazing (especially that cresecent moon guitar made out of the barrel lid). I think they were playing with Subarachnoid Space too who were equally impressive

(damn you have pretty good taste in music. dont think i have ever run into other neptune fans...cheers)
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:39 pm

theglyph wrote:As a guitar player who loves to play and tweak synthesizers though the one thing about this guitar which blows me off my feet is being able to chord/riff the guitar with my left hand in full sustain and tweak the knobs on anything the guitar is plugged into with my right hand (e.g. foogers, Voyager, LP, Waldorf Q, ect.).
That sounds like such fun, it's untrue! Sadly, the closest I'll get to one is a lottery win - one can live in hope! :wink:

Heaven help me if the Moog Guitar was followed up by a bass version!
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:07 pm

tallowwaters wrote:I actually saw neptune live and was inspired to put a little more thought into my own auxillary percussion devices.
I first saw them a few years ago, upon first moving back to the Boston area, they played with another band from here called U.V. Protection, who are cool in their own weird, operatic, Nina Hagen kind of way (and they had a choreographed dance routine!) My reaction to that show was that other bands aren't trying hard enough.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

shopunit
Gear: OB-8, Juno 106, SH-101, JX-10, D-50, Polysix, Emax SE HD+, DX7, Mopho x4, Moog Opus 3, Kurzweil MicroPiano, Yamaha CP-60M, Helpinstill RoadMaster 64
Band: Papertwin

Post by shopunit » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:14 pm

why'd they make it so stupid looking? what a total shame. It would be passable if they gave it more rounded off upper and lower bouts, like a strat, but shiiiit man. This b***h is ugly. I bet it plays and sounds like a dream though- which only adds to my frustration about it's a*s-holey looks.
there is nothing more serious than humor- and that's no joke.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:20 pm

shopunit wrote:why'd they make it so stupid looking? what a total shame. It would be passable if they gave it more rounded off upper and lower bouts, like a strat, but shiiiit man. This b***h is ugly. I bet it plays and sounds like a dream though- which only adds to my frustration about it's a*s-holey looks.
beat your head against the guitar. see if you change your mind.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Keith Phillips
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Micron, Roland SH101, Juno60, Yamaha FS1R, SY85, SU700, Kurzweil K2000VP, Spectrasonics Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, intermorphic noatikl

Post by Keith Phillips » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:23 pm

sensorium wrote:I always wondered when someone would make a guitar with individual outs for each string? If someone does, please tell me who. It would be so much fun running each string through a different effect or a different delay note division....
A few years back Gibson did this with the HD.6X-Pro. It runs a hex pickup and uses a CAT5 cable out of the guitar into a breakout box that has each string for routing, along with a 2x3 string stereo mode, and all 6 strings summed (like normal), and what not.

So you could process each string independently via DAW, pedals, or whatever else you wanted. It also had a bypass for normal 1/4" output when not using the box. Also, the connections are balanced so the noise would be lowered which seems really nice.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/05/gibs ... he-market/

$4,400 big ones.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPDGBMNH

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:23 am

I guess I'm trying to figure out what great hole Moog and company expect the Moog Guitar to fill. Don't get me wrong, it seems like very interesting technology, and I'm impressed by the video, but it seems to be an instrument with very specific and somewhat limited application -- at least when compared to a conventional electric guitar.

I'm sure we'll be hearing this instrument on future Lou Reed and Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois projects as Mooger5 notes. But they're not actually going to buy theirs, are they? Surely Moog will comp them heir guitars.

So I wonder who is the market for a specialized $7000 instrument if the big money stars who could easily afford it are getting comps? The working musician? The up-and-coming band out of Williamsburg? Maybe if this is the proof-of-concept product that precedes the more affordable model -- the Little Twangy? -- but even that more affordable model will certainly come at a premium price.

I can only assume that Moog knows what it's doing. There are a lot of smart people in that company, and I'm sure they researched the market as much as the technology. But still... I hope they don't have too much capital tied up in it.

7Hz

Post by 7Hz » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:49 am

Two words:

ARP AVATAR

Plus, I can get a guitar to infinite sustain by holding the neck against the cab, or by turning the volume up, or with big distortion...

I can also get a better muted sound with the palm of my hand, or a sock.

The guitar in the video doesn't sound good to me, it sounds weak. It does look like a '91 mullet job as well. Sorry Moog, mods, and fans, I think it sucks :roll:
MPC-4000, Jupiter 6, Pro-One, MS-10, Arp Axxe, Ensoniq VFX, MKS-30 + PG200, (Casio VL Tone, Drumtrax, R5, DR-110...)

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:25 am

7Hz wrote:Two words:

ARP AVATAR

Plus, I can get a guitar to infinite sustain by holding the neck against the cab, or by turning the volume up, or with big distortion...

I can also get a better muted sound with the palm of my hand, or a sock.

The guitar in the video doesn't sound good to me, it sounds weak. It does look like a '91 mullet job as well. Sorry Moog, mods, and fans, I think it sucks :roll:
Are you for real? The ARP avatar is a synth triggered by a guitar. How is that like this? An avatar is still a synth, just it has a different method of triggering. I personally don't have a cab, nor would I think my landlady would like it if I had one. There is also a difference when you use distortion. Maybe I want sustained chords without blistering volume or distortion.

I love people who if *they* don't like it, it sucks. Why can't it be a good, useful product but just not your style? It's the same philosophy with a lot of music. "I hate Country music, it sucks." Instead of "I'm not a big fan of country music personally, but some people like it and thats cool".

shopunit
Gear: OB-8, Juno 106, SH-101, JX-10, D-50, Polysix, Emax SE HD+, DX7, Mopho x4, Moog Opus 3, Kurzweil MicroPiano, Yamaha CP-60M, Helpinstill RoadMaster 64
Band: Papertwin

Post by shopunit » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:30 am

hfinn I'm with you buddy. mullets, however, do indeed suck:)
there is nothing more serious than humor- and that's no joke.

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:31 am

Johnny Lenin wrote:So I wonder who is the market for a specialized $7000 instrument if the big money stars who could easily afford it are getting comps?
Moog doesn't comp anybody anything. Ever. You could be the hottest thing in music, and the best you'll get is 20% off list price. The basic philosophy is, if you want it bad enough you will pay for it... and if you're a big-shot professional, you will be able to pay for it. This also means that nobody gives phony endorsements of Moog gear, just because they got it for nothin. Lou Reed's reaction in that video was 100% genuine, and he put down cash for his gee-tar just like anybody else would.

So to answer your question, the initial market for this instrument is probably big-money stars, :lol: which is cool as long as they're into it.
shopunit wrote: Why didn't they make it look like a strat?
'cuz it's not a strat. Or a strat copy. Granted, a lot of people dislike pointy guitars. I can dig that; at least it's not in full-on BC Rich territory. Other people like it fine; note that there were already a lot of pointy guitars and people buying them. Personally I think the gold hardware blows, but the inventor of the guitar insisted on gold hardware and it was his choice to make. Assuming there is a subsequent Moog Guitar "affordable edition" I will lobby vigourously for non-gaudy hardware options. And for it to come in black. :cool:
"The tb-303 sounds like poo and I think I could sell it for way more if I need some gas money, but no other poo sounds as pooey as it, plus it has a sequencer..." - Zamise

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:45 am

hfinn wrote:Are you for real? The ARP avatar is a synth triggered by a guitar. How is that like this?
I could be wrong but I believe 7Hz may be referring to this as the product that will sink Moog - just like the Avatar did ARP as it was pretty much unsellable. That's what I thought when I read his post at least.

You gotta remember that $7,000 is a helluva lot of money, no matter how cool something is. I mean that's 3.5 Andromedas!

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:17 am

OriginalJambo wrote:
hfinn wrote:Are you for real? The ARP avatar is a synth triggered by a guitar. How is that like this?
I could be wrong but I believe 7Hz may be referring to this as the product that will sink Moog - just like the Avatar did ARP as it was pretty much unsellable. That's what I thought when I read his post at least.

You gotta remember that $7,000 is a helluva lot of money, no matter how cool something is. I mean that's 3.5 Andromedas!
Okay, given that point even, there is still a big difference between the ARP of then and the Moog of today. If I remember correctly (I could be wrong) They had already sunk A LOT of money into the Centaur which went no where. The Avatar was only a way for them to attempt to raise some capitol quickly (which didn't work). Thats how I understand it. ARP was already in BAD shape when the avatar came out.

It is 3.5 Andromeda's, but still amos has the point down. It's not made as a product for everyone. It's not a $150 Korg electribe. If people need one bad enough, they will find a way to get one. I don't believe that Moog is selling a $1000 product for $7000. That would actually be stupid. They need to price it such that they recoup their R&D costs, parts, technology, etc, but still make it to the point where people will buy it.

I personally love this guitar and I could someday see myself with one (in a couple of years picking up one second hand)

Also, keep in mind how much some of the more boutique synths are. A Macbeth M5 isn't much cheaper than this... I think a lot of the bitching is just jealousy. I can't get one now, but I'm not going to say Moog suck. They created a guitar that I've loved ever since I heard Michael Brook with something similar and only wished I could have one. He I think made only a couple, so this is actually putting it within my and a lot of others reach.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:35 am

Let me just confirm that I don't have anything against the Moog guitar at all - in fact I think it's a neat idea and an interesting innovation - but there's no way I'll ever be likely to afford it. I'm sure many are will be in the same boat and that's a shame.
hfinn wrote:Also, keep in mind how much some of the more boutique synths are. A Macbeth M5 isn't much cheaper than this.
A MacBeth M5 may cost around the same but have you seen the size of that thing?! As far as I'm aware it's all put together by Ken MacBeth himself - Moog may only be a small company but it still has a leg up in that respect. And in all truth it's actually a fair bit less expensive - $2000 is hardly chump change.
I think a lot of the bitching is just jealousy.
You're right - there really is no use in bitching about it. Besides, I'm sure Moog knows their target market here as Amos has pointed out - I just don't think most of us here on Vintage Synth Explorer are likely to be in it. ;)