Modular Synthesis for a newb.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
abotikon

Modular Synthesis for a newb.

Post by abotikon » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:45 am

Hello people, I was wondering where a good place to start would be for someone who is interested in getting into modular synths but has absolutely no experience with them and a limited budget. The world of modular synthesis seems very fascinating to me but also very intimidating. What are some good references / synths to start with?

ford442
Band: Noah Cohn

Post by ford442 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:11 am

there are lots of software synths that you can learn with.. not all free, but a lot less expensive than many modular beasts...

i have AudioRealism Semi Modular for example which has lots of routings ... i think i'll mess with it right now as soon as my analogs warm up... :)

propellerhead's Reason also has some patch capabilities and is quite an interesting product if you haven;t checked it out already...

Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Post by Mush » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:13 am

A Nord Micro Modular will be a good thing to make you realize what you want in a modular setup. It is cheap and you can sell it when you've learned the way of modular synthesis and decided your basic setup of modules. Another idea might be to download the G2 Demo-software if you're on a Windows-machine or a PowerPC-mac.

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:25 am

ive been messing around with the free demo of Arturia Moog Modular V. its pretty fun except for the static hiss that comes in every few seconds (this is only on the demo to prevent using it in live or studio enviroment). i have learned alot about modular synths, and new ideas for my micromoog and 'foogers as well.

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:51 am

+1 for the nord micro modular.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:28 am

Mush wrote:A Nord Micro Modular
+1, the G1 and the rich educational material on the net will be a great entrance.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:21 pm

crystalmsc wrote:
Mush wrote:A Nord Micro Modular
+1, the G1 and the rich educational material on the net will be a great entrance.
+1 again - there's huge amounts of stuff online from people who really, really know what they're doing.
virb.com/ookpikk

thosquanta
Gear: korg ds-10, ex-800, ms-2000; dotcom porta-22, nord micro modular, roland alpha juno-1, jx-3p, mc505; akai s2000, emu morpheus, red sounds darkstar
Band: thosquanta

Post by thosquanta » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:22 pm

and, unlike, day, akai, nord knows how to write a users manual.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:14 pm

Seconding (thirding, fourthing, whatevering) the Nord Micromodular. Awesome machine.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:32 pm

The Nord Micromodular was my first modular. Perfect intoduction to the modular universe!

Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:41 pm

ford442 wrote:there are lots of software synths that you can learn with.. not all free, but a lot less expensive than many modular beasts...
I'm using TimewARP 2600 (guitar center was getting rid of it for $60). The Arturia version would be another good way to go. Been meaning to try the Moog Modular V but haven't gotten around to it.

guitarsandsynths
Band: Brazility

Re: Modular Synthesis for a newb.

Post by guitarsandsynths » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:17 am

abotikon wrote:Hello people, I was wondering where a good place to start would be for someone who is interested in getting into modular synths but has absolutely no experience with them and a limited budget. The world of modular synthesis seems very fascinating to me but also very intimidating. What are some good references / synths to start with?
It's not that hard to learn, and I would not waist time with crappy digital s**t. Check this out:
http://www.synthesizers.com
Real modular for a really affordable price.
Check out the entry system plan. They also have a discussion forum that is really good.
Minimoog ModelD Prophet5 Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 CSQ100 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202 Simmons SDS9

neandrewthal

t3w65yu75356er

Post by neandrewthal » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:26 am

guitarsandsynths wrote: I would not waist time with crappy digital s**t.

Aw come on, there's no arm in it for those who can't foot the bill of a bone-afied anal-log :roll:
What happens at fondue stays at fondue!

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:56 am

guitarsandsynths wrote:and I would not waist time with crappy digital s**t.
That "digital s**t" which you most likely haven't even tried does not matter one bit if what you want is to learn.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:40 am

guitarsandsynths wrote:It's not that hard to learn, and I would not waist time with crappy digital s**t.
We can do without comments like this, thanks. Although it might be 'crappy digital s**t' to you, it clearly isn't to people who I know for a fact have created some fantastic music using it.

Some very good advice has been handed out here with regards to learning, which is what Abotikon asked.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian