The new Goldfrapp album...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ballophun

The new Goldfrapp album...

Post by ballophun » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:57 pm

...is incredible.

The instrumentation in the song Monster Love is so amazing.

I've always though he relied on his MS-20 a little too much but this is really incredible.
Apparently the main synth in Monster Love is the "Oberheim 4 voice". I love it.
Anyone got one? What would be a cheaper alternative?
Ruger .454 Super Redhawk, SIGarms P226 X-Five, Henry Golden Boy .22, Winchester M70 Super Shadow, MAC-10, M60 machine gun, Boker Beil Throwing Axe

drummy
Gear: Univox K-2 Mini-Korg 2
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Re: The new Goldfrapp album...

Post by drummy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:46 pm

ballophun wrote:...is incredible.

The instrumentation in the song Monster Love is so amazing.

I've always though he relied on his MS-20 a little too much but this is really incredible.
Apparently the main synth in Monster Love is the "Oberheim 4 voice". I love it.
Anyone got one? What would be a cheaper alternative?
You can get a normal Oberheim SEM and multi-track.

RedSky
No Longer Registered

Post by RedSky » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:27 pm

I noticed Will using a Siel Orchestra or maybe a Cruise in a sonic state video. I really miss my Siel MonoSynth- good to see a Siel getting some exposure. I need to get out more.

RichShan
Gear: Yamaha SY85, Roland JX3p, Novation Supernova II keys, Roland MKS70, Roland JV1080, Emu ESi-32, G5 & logic

Post by RichShan » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:47 am

RedSky wrote:I noticed Will using a Siel Orchestra or maybe a Cruise in a sonic state video. I really miss my Siel MonoSynth- good to see a Siel getting some exposure. I need to get out more.
ha ha... I've been looking sround wistfully for and old Siel Cruise. It was one of my first synths back about 23 years ago. I don't really miss it- but I can't really remember what it sounded like.

Nostalgia for an old italian "multi" must mean that I need to get out more too!

RedSky
No Longer Registered

Post by RedSky » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:02 am

I think the Siels have a unique mellow sound though and the strangest livery ever- brown and cream? Urgh!

RichShan
Gear: Yamaha SY85, Roland JX3p, Novation Supernova II keys, Roland MKS70, Roland JV1080, Emu ESi-32, G5 & logic

Post by RichShan » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:18 am

RedSky wrote:I think the Siels have a unique mellow sound though and the strangest livery ever- brown and cream? Urgh!
Yep, it was an ugly old beast. Didn't draw as many admiring looks as the Juno106 I bought to replace it. Still, I bought it from some guy who almost gave me a TR808 and SH101 to go with it...

To my eternal regret I sold the 808 right at the start of the dance music boom. Still, sold it to Tim Simenon, so at least someone got some proper use out it.

RedSky
No Longer Registered

Post by RedSky » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:20 pm

Tim Simenon? Nice one! He made DMode sound damn good on |Ultra- just listening to it now.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:48 pm

I was rather annoyed to miss out on a DK80 for only a tenner a few months back. :(

RedSky
No Longer Registered

Post by RedSky » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:24 pm

I always liked the look of them- interesting and unusual. I imagined them to be a bit like the Korg Poly 800 2. I missed out on buying a Powertran 2000 for £200 recently- these things happen! :(

nickeax

Post by nickeax » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:22 am

Here are some cool videos exploring some of the gear Will Gregory used:

http://tv.sonicstate.com/play.php?vid=155 Pt1
http://tv.sonicstate.com/play.php?vid=176 Pt2

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:22 am

nickeax wrote:Here are some cool videos exploring some of the gear Will Gregory used:

http://tv.sonicstate.com/play.php?vid=155 Pt1
http://tv.sonicstate.com/play.php?vid=176 Pt2
Those are nice vids. Cool tour through Will's studio, but I wish he would have fired up the PS-3100. I don't think I've ever seen one played.

Also, did anyone know that it was Will Gregory who played sax on Tears For Fears' "The Working Hour?" There are two saxes on that track. He plays the bluesy solos. They're excellent.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:40 pm

The 3100 is a great synth. There is an audio demo of my 3200 in the listening lounge. I should do a demo of both of them connected.

I also noticed the SY77 in the videos. Another underrated synth.

steveman

Post by steveman » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:28 pm

Mixolydian wrote: Also, did anyone know that it was Will Gregory who played sax on Tears For Fears' "The Working Hour?" There are two saxes on that track. He plays the bluesy solos. They're excellent.
Certainly all of us who regularly listen to Sonicstate's podcasts :) (BTW where the h**l is the next one? Been 3 weeks since the last one...)

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:05 am

steveman wrote:
Mixolydian wrote: Also, did anyone know that it was Will Gregory who played sax on Tears For Fears' "The Working Hour?" There are two saxes on that track. He plays the bluesy solos. They're excellent.
Certainly all of us who regularly listen to Sonicstate's podcasts :) (BTW where the h**l is the next one? Been 3 weeks since the last one...)
They had a short one last week. BTW, did you listen to the last one before they took their break? They played a little of one of my songs on it. (Don't tell anyone, but my real name is Dan Austin.) I sent Nick some topic suggestions for the show, and he mentioned my name about 8 times.

RedSky
No Longer Registered

Post by RedSky » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:05 pm

How did you manage that? Did you just send in some demos?