CEM chips & Synthtech

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

CEM chips & Synthtech

Post by xpander » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:44 pm

for those who didn't catch this on the lists... a bit more difficult to find old chips now!
Subject: No longer selling most CEM ICs

The selling agreement between myself and the estate of Doug Curtis/OnChip
Systems is no longer in effect.

I have removed all of the ICs that were covered under terms of the
agreement. I'm sorry that
I was unable to give any previous warning.

All current CEM IC orders will be shipped. I am always "on the lookout" of
broken synths
and CEM ICs for purchase.

Paul Schreiber
Synthesis Technology

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:02 pm

Would this have implications for DSI?

I think the chips they use are readapted Oberheim stock so they should be OK for the time being, no?

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:28 pm

masstronaut wrote:Would this have implications for DSI?

I think the chips they use are readapted Oberheim stock so they should be OK for the time being, no?
i'm sure there are no implications for DSI- i imagine they work in high enough volume to actually order there own run.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:58 am

Paul was selling CEM chips used in vintage synths, like 3340 and 3320 etc..

DSI uses a very different, latest generation of CEM "Voice Processors" (filter and VCA together) coming from Matrix1000 and Marion MSR-2 heritage, that Doug Curtis made a NEW batch of on his request. besides filter, DCOs in DSI are/were also made by Curtis, according to Dave Bryce.

dunno what's the current status considering mr. Curtis passing. but im sure they made a high enough volume of these chips, as in general, its not finantially viable to do sml volumes of such proprietary designs.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by xpander » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:49 pm

you know, i always thought OnChip was a somewhat substantial semiconductor company... i worked a block away yesterday and decided to take a look- it looks like they just occupy a small space in an office building. to put that into silicon valley perspective- just about every chip company has massive buildings littered all over santa clara and neighboring cities. i assumed i would just drive by and see a building.

waveterm
Gear: A lot more than you

Post by waveterm » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:38 pm

Did you stop by and place an order ?

Can I buy a few from you ?

What color is purple ?

How many soundengineers does it take to screw in a lightbulb ?

WT
Just a guy with a bunch of blue things.......now, move on !

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by xpander » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:46 pm

waveterm wrote:Did you stop by and place an order ?
i have no idea what's up with that place, but they are the keepers of the keys.

i wonder what the rest of that message was about.

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, μWave (x2), Roland JP6+V-Synth+S-220, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3+K-3m, ARP Odyssey+Omni2, Emulator II+HD, Ensoniq Mirage.

Post by calyx93 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:13 am

Are there any other sellers of analog ICs? I'm getting a bit panicky now.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:20 pm

im wondering if onchip is maybe considering selling direct now instead?
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:51 pm

I'm not sure how Curtis is doing, but I wish they'd run another batch of 3340s. It seems to me that they would sell enough to justify the production run. I could see 15,000 or 20,000 of them being sold in a year. Doepfer still uses them as well as a few other boutique manufactures.

While they're at it, they should run another batch of 3320s as well - I've been looking for one for a while.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:32 am

Mixolydian wrote:I'm not sure how Curtis is doing, but I wish they'd run another batch of 3340s. It seems to me that they would sell enough to justify the production run. I could see 15,000 or 20,000 of them being sold in a year. Doepfer still uses them as well as a few other boutique manufactures.

While they're at it, they should run another batch of 3320s as well - I've been looking for one for a while.
Curtis Electromusic was folded in 1988 so never. OnChip's future may also be in question seeing that the webiste is for sale

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:41 am

the world is coming to an end.
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

paults

Post by paults » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:35 pm

Here is all the information I can share:

a) most, but not all of the CEM ICs that I have been selling the last 11 years or so were the property of OnChip. I never bought them outright.

b) the ICs that I currently offer were bought by me from other sources. For example, the CEM3396s are from the UK and the CEM3310s were from Ensoniq.

c) I cannot speak for OnChip. I cannot say if they will offer them for future sale.

d) OnChip is not a manufacturer of ICs, they are 'fabless'.

e) the ICs used in the Evolver and the P-8 are still in production are are not effected. The ICs that I had were made from 1982 to 1992. They were never used (NOS).

f) there is no market for CEM3340s in large volumes. Who would want 10,000 or more, even at say $5ea? You still need trimming and an auto-tune uP (the 3340 has OK temp comp, but not GREAT) and lots of discrete passive parts. Whereas using a $13 FPGA I can implement 64 VCOs no problem. It's not analog, but the 'purist' market shrinks every year. I blame the iPod :)

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:22 am

paults > Thanks for the info.
paults wrote: e) the ICs used in the Evolver and the P-8 are still in production are are not effected. The ICs that I had were made from 1982 to 1992. They were never used (NOS).
Then Curtis is still in business? ... which is what it appears from Dave Smith's interviews.
f) there is no market for CEM3340s in large volumes. Who would want 10,000 or more, even at say $5ea? You still need trimming and an auto-tune uP (the 3340 has OK temp comp, but not GREAT) and lots of discrete passive parts. Whereas using a $13 FPGA I can implement 64 VCOs no problem. It's not analog, but the 'purist' market shrinks every year. I blame the iPod :)
I don't know. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but it seems to me that if they were available, someone would use them. Obviously, Dave Smith didn't use them in the P'08, but I think a small company could carve out a nice little niche with 80s analog clones.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:10 am

Mixolydian wrote: Then Curtis is still in business? ... which is what it appears from Dave Smith's interviews.
Once again, Curtis was closed in 1988 and folded into OnChip.

http://curtiselectromusic.com/Home_Page.html