Is it me or does the microkorg SOUND better then the R3??

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
c1t1zen

Post by c1t1zen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:38 am

Does the R3 have anymore arpeggiators then the MicroKorg? I mostly use my micro for those sort of ideas and it runs on batteries! Can the R3 do that?

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:44 am

The R3 doesn't use batteries, unfortunately.

In terms of arps, I'm not sure how it differs as I've never spent much time with the arp on the microKORG the times I've doodled on it in the shops.
This review probably has the answer, though:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep07/a ... korgr3.htm

c1t1zen

Post by c1t1zen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:10 am

Yeah the review says

The usual directions (up, down, random and so on)

Doesn't really help me understand. The MicroKorg is Up, Down, Random, Alternate 1 and Alternate 2... Those last two being more musical to me. but I see the R3 has swing which could be extra cool.

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:55 pm

c1t1zen wrote:Yeah the review says

The usual directions (up, down, random and so on)

Doesn't really help me understand. The MicroKorg is Up, Down, Random, Alternate 1 and Alternate 2... Those last two being more musical to me. but I see the R3 has swing which could be extra cool.
The MicroKorg has swing as well.
Monkey business since 2007!

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:31 pm

MrFrodo wrote:For some reason, I've never truly been interested in the R3. Something about having that fifth edit knob puts the microKORG ahead in my book.
Can we send you back to the farm?
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:21 pm

From what I have noticed. The R3 and the Microkorg sound very similiar in character. MicroKorg being a little "dirtier" sounding. I prefer the R3 Vocoder over the microKorg, now this could be due to the factory microphones they each come with. Alike the MicroKorg, I am guessing the R3 has the 8 band and not the 16 band vocoder like the MS2000 because the R3 like the microkorg is hard to get intelligible sounds out of. Final comment: Both sound like a Korg analog modeling virtual synth. Chose your weapon by prefered interface. The microkorg gets wacko fast if you dont know what your doing and when I first saw the R3, I was like "what the h**l is going on, how do I do X?"

quicksilverXP

Post by quicksilverXP » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:14 pm

R3 does everything better than the MicroKorg. The R3 actually has a 16 band vocoder and is every bit as equal to the intelligibility of the Korg Radias (which has one of the better vocoders on the market right now). Note that the vocoder on the R3 doesn't steal any polyphony as well (useful for bitimbral setups).

The interface is also ten times easier to use than the MicroKorg, because of the readable LCDs and LEDs that indicate values. The Arpeggiator is standard, just like the MicroKorg, but you can use the Mod Sequencer to vary the arps greatly... unlike the MK which has no mod sequencer.

But I still prefer the sound of the MK.

JackAstro

Post by JackAstro » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:11 pm

Dano wrote:I'm making a mental note to never audition the MicroKorg or MS2000 because I love the sound of my R3 and don't want to risk ruining that. :wink:
I had an MS2000 and I prefer the R3. But I think the LP sounds awful, so what do I know.

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:12 am

I just traded an MS2K for an EMX-1 ... While the MS2K really did have a unique sound and feel ... the four-note poly was impossible to deal with ...

mute

Post by mute » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:47 am

i'll never give up my ms2000br..

re: arpeggiator.. can the microkorg use its motion sequencer to modify the step lengths, size and pitch of the arpeggio? alot of people misunderstand the programability of the ms2000's arpeggiator.. using the sequencer you can create any wildly custom sequence you want. the only thing it lacks is a "off" but u can do that with vol.. i noted the microkorg can turn steps off..

anyways, theres alot more to the arpeggiator on the ms2k and microkorg than just the basic up/down/alt/al2/random/and trigger options. those are more like starting points imo.. u can also further complicate and have fun with their progression by changing the motion sequencers movement type.

point is.. the thing is way deeper than alot of ppl realize.

r3 from what i understand doesnt do anything like that, but i know the radias does. i wish the ms2000 had the radias's pattern sequencer too.. but i've got a Mobius so thats irrelevant to my setup really. i might get a radias one day...but ill still keep the ms2000.

re: 4 voices. korg's 4 voice slash mono synths are classic as h**l. the limitation/character is a big part of korg's style and has appeared on many of their synths including the mono/poly and poly6. and its a MS tribute.. not a poly synth to begin with. i like the emx, i wish the channels weren't monophonic. i've got an esx-1 and love it to death. btw,.. since u had a ms2000.. i bet it took u like 2 seconds to realise that the synthesis engine in the electribes is not identical (tho based on) the ms2000's.. the filter is absolutely nothing like the ms2000/microkorg. its resonance sounds fake and synthetic @ really high rates (way too 'silky' imo).. that kinda let me down but i got over it quick, still sounds good... but its nothing like that on the ms2k.

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:04 am

yes MS2K much grittier and less crisp ... Don't think a "whole song" would work as well on MS2K engine ... though I'd still like to hear it ...

I'll miss MS2K, but not too much ... In no way is EMX considered a replacement but it definitely has a "Korg" sound ...

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:30 pm

Diametro wrote:I just traded an MS2K for an EMX-1 ... While the MS2K really did have a unique sound and feel ... the four-note poly was impossible to deal with ...

Do you use an external MIDI controller, Diametro?
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Vxster

Post by Vxster » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:09 pm

tallowwaters wrote:
MrFrodo wrote:For some reason, I've never truly been interested in the R3. Something about having that fifth edit knob puts the microKORG ahead in my book.
Are you crazy??? The train has broken down.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:14 am

Vxster wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:
Are you crazy??? The train has broken down.
Very funny, Vxster. Thanks.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:15 am

I'm not a huge fan of the R3 sound, but I do prefer it over the MK/MS2000. R3 is perhaps less gritty, but I feel it's a little punchier. And the R3 effects are better. But it's all a matter of taste...
quicksilverXP wrote:Note that the vocoder on the R3 doesn't steal any polyphony as well (useful for bitimbral setups).
Yep. Split the keyboard, use the other side for vocoded lines and the other for counterpoint melody / pad / stabs. A great feature for gigs. And the vocoder even sounds pretty damn nice!

I'm may not be a huge fan of the R3 sound, but I am a fan of the R3 in general. It's just so small and fun :)

- CM