Is it me or does the microkorg SOUND better then the R3??

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
scimmiamk

Post by scimmiamk » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:39 am

I used to have a microkorg, then I sold it to get a ms2000 but it was too big too carry around with all the other stuff, so I though that the R3 was the right answer to my needs.
Guess what? 6 months later I got back my microkorg 'cause I found the R3 too clean for my taste.
I got a studiologic tmk37 and now I have the tiny mk with big keys

JackAstro

Post by JackAstro » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:42 pm

I sold the MS2K after getting the EMX. While they don't sound exactly alike, the EMX sounds more like the MS2k than the ESX.

I like that the R3 sounds Korg like, but not microKorg like. It has it's own vibe; the R3 is not a replacement for the microKorg.

I think the only thing the R3 is missing is reverse keys. :lol:

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:23 am

JackAstro wrote:I sold the MS2K after getting the EMX. While they don't sound exactly alike, the EMX sounds more like the MS2k than the ESX.

I like that the R3 sounds Korg like, but not microKorg like. It has it's own vibe; the R3 is not a replacement for the microKorg.

hey Jack, have you posted any pics of your setup? if so, could you point me to them? i'd be interested in seeing it.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:28 am

Are there two batches of microKorgs? one made in Japan and one in China? Do they sound any different?

I find it interesting that the latest batches from Korg (and some others like Roland) are made in China. Are they now Chinese synthesizers?

Does this effect the sound somehow?

Curious..
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

quicksilverXP

Post by quicksilverXP » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:37 am

Yeah... I still have both my R3 and MicroKorg. I bought the R3 to replace the MK, but realized they both sound different. The R3 is cleaner and smoother, but I don't love the sound nearly as much as the MK.

However, the R3, in general is just a well laid out synth. Korg did a really good job with it. It's great as just a workhorse small synth, just like the Korg Radias.

If they found a way to make the R3/Radias with the dirtier sound of the M2K or MK series, they'd have a killer combo.

JackAstro

Post by JackAstro » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:21 am

killedaway wrote:
JackAstro wrote:I sold the MS2K after getting the EMX. While they don't sound exactly alike, the EMX sounds more like the MS2k than the ESX.

hey Jack, have you posted any pics of your setup? if so, could you point me to them? i'd be interested in seeing it.
I don't have any current gear pics, and I don't have a camera. But I can tell you how things are laid out.

I have a 3 tiered rack with a CZ-1, Mackie mixer, desktop Evolver, and some mic pres.

In my closet, I have a Dotcom modular, MF-101, MF-107, CP-251, and Forstwave Fat Controller, Resonator, Blue Ringer.

On one wall I have 5 guitars, a bass, and 2 amps.

In the corner I have 2 turntables and a mixer. Theses are my most recent acquisitions.

I do most of my composing and recording sitting on the floor where I have a laptop, Edirol FA66, R3, EMX, and sometimes the Evolver or MF-101.

I also have some mics, stands, a cornet, a flugelhorn, a dozen effects pedals, and a Yamaha RM1X that I rarely use.

Because the R3 is small and light, I use it for most of my noodling around. I haven't touched the CZ-1 since the R3 arrived.

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:17 am

quicksilverXP wrote:If they found a way to make the R3/Radias with the dirtier sound of the M2K or MK series, they'd have a killer combo.
If you want something dirty from the R3, why not just program a little dirt in the sound? The amp/drive section is pretty comprehensive and the insert effects offer additional "dirtyfying" options... It may not be the M2K/MK kind of dirt, but it is some nice dirt anyways.

- CM

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:27 am

to me the microkorg sounds special and I prefer it's tone over the MS or R3.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Dano

Post by Dano » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:24 pm

Carey M wrote:
quicksilverXP wrote:If they found a way to make the R3/Radias with the dirtier sound of the M2K or MK series, they'd have a killer combo.
If you want something dirty from the R3, why not just program a little dirt in the sound? The amp/drive section is pretty comprehensive and the insert effects offer additional "dirtyfying" options... It may not be the M2K/MK kind of dirt, but it is some nice dirt anyways.

- CM
I do agree that the R3 has a smooth, polished sound but if grunge is what you want then you could also run it through a Bitrman or something of that sort.

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:27 pm

Dano wrote:
Carey M wrote:

- CM
I do agree that the R3 has a smooth, polished sound but if grunge is what you want then you could also run it through a Bitrman or something of that sort.
The R3's effect section already contains pretty much everything you can do with the Bitrman. You can chain together two oscillators and three effects per tone, then two tones per patch. There's also an equalizer section which can easily kill off those higher frequencies to get rid of that bright sound. It's take a little work and some menu diving to get a gritty sound, but it can be done.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:59 am

JackAstro wrote:[
I don't have any current gear pics, and I don't have a camera. But I can tell you how things are laid out...
great gear you have there! thanks very much for listing it. i knew you had the EMX and R3 and was interested in seeing what you were using them with. awesome choices on the Frostwave stuff too. those exact three have been on my radar for some time now. once i sell some gear i plan on picking at least one of them up.

mute

Post by mute » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:07 am

crystalmsc wrote:to me the microkorg sounds special and I prefer it's tone over the MS or R3.
the MS2000 and MK are identical.. with some trimming of features on the MK.. so your statement is unfactual :wink: also worth pointing out.. is that unlike the electribe (emx, ea1 mkii, mx) which also use the same synthesis, the filters are exactly the same on the MK as they are on MS2K.

i had both a ms2000b and a microKorg (sold the mk) and swapped patches between the 2 pretty often (which is easy because either will load the others, like the R3 and Radias).. and more than once i did sound comparisons finding absolutely no difference..outside of a few patches i made on the ms2k that the mk couldn't handle.. and most of those involved the vocoder, the cross mod/sine waveforms or more complex motion sequences.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:07 am

mute wrote:the MS2000 and MK are identical..
no probs, it didn't have to sounds different to anyone. It's just not the same to me.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums