Why old machines??

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tosss

Why old machines??

Post by tosss » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:29 am

Hi,

i think, i have a very bad english, but i´m so surprised by finding and reading that forum, that i will offer you my bad english. so i can write a little bit.

in the 80´s i was soooo very interested in synthesizers, but then year by year it became less.

For a few weeks, suddenly i had the idea to learn piano again. I did it in the past, when i was 16, but there is nothing left now, 24 years later.

So i searched for an instrument, that is good enough for my interests.

Fast i was sure, that i need a keyboard, that sounds really lika a piano, but all that instruments are soo very expensive. My dream was a Yamaha S90 ES, but it´s really unpayable. i meantioned the S80, but it also is epensive. So i decide to buy an Yamaha S30. Ok, it has no hammer-technic, the keys are plastic, but it sounds really really great like a piano!!!!!. That was, and is already my instrument.

The best is, that this instrument has soo soo much further sounds. Really great synth-sounds. i do not emagine, that the synthsizers of the 80th had that spectrum of great sounds.

So my question now!! ... :

What is the reason, that you guys buy all that old synthesizers? I know that they are great, because they are old and there are a lot of memories with it in the past, but if you only think of the function, the synthesizers of the present are able to creat the sounds of all that old synthesizers. My simple Yamaha S30 is able to create so much of that old sounds, that it´s really not necessary to buy an Roland Juno 106, or an Oberheim 8 etc.

No panic please, that are all really great machines, but are they really necessary today? The actual machines can all that jobs of the past, isn´t so?

Tosss

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Why old machines??

Post by Yoozer » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:38 am

So my question now!! ... :

What is the reason, that you guys buy all that old synthesizers?
The forum is called Vintage Synth.
I know that they are great, because they are old and there are a lot of memories with it in the past, but if you only think of the function,
Well, that's kind of the point. It's not about the function.
the synthesizers of the present are able to creat the sounds of all that old synthesizers.

Nope.
My simple Yamaha S30 is able to create so much of that old sounds, that it´s really not necessary to buy an Roland Juno 106, or an Oberheim 8 etc.
The S30 does not sound like a 106 which does not sound like an Oberheim.

You should try comparing them right next to eachother. If you don't hear a difference, there's something wrong. Yes, there may be superficial overlap for certain sounds.
The actual machines can all that jobs of the past, isn´t so?
No, they can't. The sample-based machines can't do oscillator sync, FM, ringmodulation (there are exceptions, but they're rare and they don't sound anything like that). New hardware FM synthesizers haven't been made since 2001 (DX200), and before that there was a rather huge gap, too (if you consider dedicated machines). You can't capture the entire range with just sampling, and you can't capture the entire range with modeling (yet).

The newer analogs do not actually sound exactly like the old ones. I'll leave it to others to lament about virtual analogs.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

tosss

Post by tosss » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:12 am

Hi Yoozer,

thank you for your answer!!
I must admit, i have expect an answer like that. May be, at the moment i´m very surprised by the things my S30 offers me. I really got THAT :shock: eyes and ears by testing and joyning that. At the moment, there was no comparison with the old (vintage ;-) ) machines. But i´m on the way again. I´m positive in the thoughts to make my experiences and detect the big and small differences between the good old ones and the sampler of today.

Tosss

Mr. Sound Boy King

Post by Mr. Sound Boy King » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:20 am

As a side note: it WOULD be cool if this site was called "Old Synth Explorer."

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:41 am

hey were do you live?
are there all kinds of dirty old synths that nobody wants laying around, because you're all going nuts for the newest arranger/workstations?

:lol:

welcome!
welcome to the world of old synthesizer explorers!!

also, seriously, apples and oranges here, bud..
different tastes, you like your new stuff that sounds like a real piano, we like the old stuff that sounds like... "amazing". :)
and that's great..
you're great.
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:22 am

Some people like the latest, Tosss. And some people like a lot of old, Tosss.

tosss

Post by tosss » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:24 am

Hi Hageir,

I´m from Essen. It´s a town in the middle of Germany. And I´m sure, here are as many people who love that old stuff as people do in the rest of the world.

Could it be, that you are the northermost guy in the world, that knows about keyboards? :D

I got in contact with synthesizers in 1982. It was a Roland, but I don´t know the model exactly. After that I bought a Yamaha DX9 (the cheap version of the DX7) and a collegue a Juno 6 (maybe it was 1984).

I really loved and love that already. I only was surprised in the youngest past, what the new machines can do.

My personal dream is a Jupiter 6. It has MIDI (for the computer ;-) ), it looks great and is a wonderful sounding machine.

Tosss

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:44 am

For me, I just want a lot of knobs to twiddle. A lot of vintage analogs are still cheaper than new analogs and high-end VA's
What happens at fondue stays at fondue!

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:05 am

Yep, the idea of a vintage synth forum is that it's based around "old synths." There's always been something about them that recent gear can't touch, even if it's striving to emulate the gear of the past.

In some ways, the closer digital gear gets to emulating the old Moogs, ARP's, Oberheims, Prophets, Jupiters and Poly's of their day(s), the more some people still long for the originals. (Even the new analogs can't touch their vintage grandparents, the Minimoog, ARP 2600, Prophet 5, OB-Xa, etc.)
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:52 am

tosss wrote: I´m from Essen. It´s a town in the middle of Germany. And I´m sure, here are as many people who love that old stuff as people do in the rest of the world.
You should get yourself an account here - http://bluesynths.de/ and probably check out http://www.synthesizer.at/synthesizer/synth.htm - check out "Der Grosse Report" for each. The demos are really good so you have an opportunity to compare with the S30 for a bit :).
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:32 am

tosss wrote:Hi Hageir,

I´m from Essen. It´s a town in the middle of Germany. And I´m sure, here are as many people who love that old stuff as people do in the rest of the world.

Could it be, that you are the northermost guy in the world, that knows about keyboards? :D

I got in contact with synthesizers in 1982. It was a Roland, but I don´t know the model exactly. After that I bought a Yamaha DX9 (the cheap version of the DX7) and a collegue a Juno 6 (maybe it was 1984).

I really loved and love that already. I only was surprised in the youngest past, what the new machines can do.

My personal dream is a Jupiter 6. It has MIDI (for the computer ;-) ), it looks great and is a wonderful sounding machine.

Tosss
Alright, Essen, I think my friend lived near to that place when he was a kid..
Anyways, there are a few of us here actually (in Iceland) who love vintage synths :)
and three or four of us are on this forum! hehe

anyways, if you stick around for a while I'm pretty sure you'll fall for those "old" synths again ;)

do you still have the Juno and the DX9?

and please, do tell us more about the 80's! (I love the 80's)

ps. welcome!
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

RichShan
Gear: Yamaha SY85, Roland JX3p, Novation Supernova II keys, Roland MKS70, Roland JV1080, Emu ESi-32, G5 & logic

Post by RichShan » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:40 am

masstronaut wrote:Some people like the latest, Tosss. And some people like a lot of old, Tosss.

:lol:

Nothing to add!

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:56 pm

I wish I knew what the difference was. They take up loads more space, one lives in constant fear of their irreplaceable parts breaking down, some of them lack presets so you have to resort to photographs of the knob positions, trying to interface them with modern audio workstations is often difficult, expensive and Midi timing can be problematic, and the older they are, the more tempermental they tend to be just in regular use.

But for me, it's totally worth it, and I know it only by using my ears. I can't explain why I like them better than digital recreations any more than I can explain why I like beer from the tap/keg better than the bottle or can. Play them and you'll know what's best for you.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

THM
Gear: ARP 2600
Elka Synthex
EML Polybox
EMS SynthiAKS
mTron
MOOG Mini- & Memorymoog
Oberheim SEM
Roland Jupiter-8/...
Yamaha CS80
DotCom
>see MySpace
Band: THM

Post by THM » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:27 pm

I hate vintage synthesizers. :lol:
DotCom Modular * ARP 2600 * Elka Synthex * EML PolyBox * EMS Synthi AKS * MOOG Minimoog Model D, Memorymoog * Kurzweil PC88 * Oberheim SEM * Roland Jupiter-8, JP-8080, Juno-60, TR808, TB303, MKS50, RE301, SDE330, SRV330 * Yamaha CS0 * see THM on MySpace

Mr. Black

Post by Mr. Black » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:17 pm

I wish more people did hate vintage synths, they would be alot cheaper.