Akai VX-90 6 voice analog synth. A good choice?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Akai VX-90 6 voice analog synth. A good choice?

Post by mao » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:56 pm

I can get one Akai VX-90 for 250 euros... which is quite a good price for a 6 voice real analog synth. The VX-90 is the rack version of Akai AX-73.

I didn't find any demo wav or mp3... only a ugly youtube video in low quality.

Well the question are:

- how does it compare to a korg polysix?
- Is it a good (really underrated) analog synth ?
- Do you have any suggestion or pro/cons about this synth?

thanx in advance...

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:46 pm

there was a recent post about the ax-73 which is the same synth. try searching for it...

there's also TONS of reviews on the internet describing its pros/cons...

but since you ask-it is fairly differnet to the poly-six... generally the poly-six has more features, but the one thing the VX does have that the p6 doesn't is filter FM which really allows a lot more kinds of sounds...

BUT, looking at your setup-the vx90 is not going to add anything that you can't already get with the andromeda or other synths :roll:

for e250 I wouldn't bother.
Do you even post on vse bro?

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:27 pm

Don't worry. This guy posts a new thread every time he sees a synth, and always wants people to tell him to buy it. :roll:
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:54 am

I have an AX73. It's definitely VCO, very musical, but needs a good 10 minutes of warm up before it's in tune (even with the auto tune.)

Nice pads, excellent basses, and wild sounds only VCOs can produce. Compared to a PolySix, the AX73 is brighter on top, and not as warm in the mids.

Bjork used an AX60 (same CEM 3374s) on her first two CDs - mostly for basses.

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:37 am

What a great synth. I almost want to buy a second. I love the VX90. I don't care what other people say about another synth being able to do the VX90 sounds. To me, that's a bunch of bull. The VX90 has a unique sound to my ears. It sounds hybridish and really has a lot of balls, but definitely analog. I haven't heard really any synth that sounds like it (I've not played an A6).

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:25 pm

stikygum wrote:What a great synth. I almost want to buy a second. I love the VX90. I don't care what other people say about another synth being able to do the VX90 sounds. To me, that's a bunch of bull. The VX90 has a unique sound to my ears. It sounds hybridish and really has a lot of balls, but definitely analog. I haven't heard really any synth that sounds like it (I've not played an A6).
it's definitely unique sounding.... and if I didn't have any analogue, I'd say it's worth exploring... But I don't think you need to have even played an andromeda to realize that it's like comparing a bentley and a toyota.
Do you even post on vse bro?