Electribes

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Yes or No?

Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes: 130

DGX305

Post by DGX305 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:30 pm

reptar wrote:
DGX305 wrote:
clubbedtodeath wrote:- The MPC1000 is designed to also act as an external sequencer to drive external equipment (the ESX is not). In fact, it excels at this - it has two MIDI ins and two MIDI outs.
How do you that? and why would you do that?

As I said, I have little experience with samplers, but my thoughts are if you load a wav file into a sampler then manupulate and trigger it from the MPC, why would you want to control your synth from the MPC!?! And which note on the synth will be played when triggerring the MPC pads?
You want to control your synths from the MPC cause the MPC is a sequencer. So you plug all your synths into the midi outs, have one keyboard plugged into a midi in and then record your different parts in one at a time, to have them all played back at the same time.

It's a great feature for those of us with big musical ideas but only not enough hands/friends to realise them.

*waits for the "why don't you do it on a computer" comment*
Why don't you do it on a computer? ... if you will plug synths, cables, need AC power, etc., then it's not about mobility and portability anymore... no seriously, why rely on an MPC then?

*waits for the "not everyone likes computers" or "not everyone wants to spend a grand on a PC" reply*

By the way, you almost conovinced me to get an ESX, although NI Kontakt 2 maybe the way to go!
Akai MPC1000 | Alesis Fusion 8HD + Ion + 2x QS8 | Boss SYB-5 | Edirol PCR-1 | Korg Electribe EMX | Novation X-Station 25 | Roland V-Synth GT + V-Synth + VC1 + VC2 | Yamaha AN200 + DX5 + MK100

domminicus

Post by domminicus » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:20 pm

no seriously, why rely on an MPC then?
because they're reliable? :lol:

DGX305

Post by DGX305 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:39 am

if you would to get 2 Electribes, from all the old and newer availalbe models, which 2 would you get to play together?
Akai MPC1000 | Alesis Fusion 8HD + Ion + 2x QS8 | Boss SYB-5 | Edirol PCR-1 | Korg Electribe EMX | Novation X-Station 25 | Roland V-Synth GT + V-Synth + VC1 + VC2 | Yamaha AN200 + DX5 + MK100

ex_action_figure

Post by ex_action_figure » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:39 am

Anyone here ever try writting a song on the electribes? (more then 8 bars)

Pattern22 pos1 pattern22 pos2 pattern22 pos3 pattern25 pos4 pattern25 pos5 pattern28 pos6 pattern29 pos7 pattern 32 pos 8 pattern 22 pos9

yuck.

Eletribes are fun little boxes but suck a*s for doing anything serious with.

star-style 3000 rack

Post by star-style 3000 rack » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:46 am

I have the EMX-1 and I love it. Its a excellent n00b-box or scratchpad, and it has the ultimate GRITTY VA sound for dnb, techno, trance, or hard trance (this box CANNOT sound mellow or warm..its impossible!).

I now use it as a sound module for any gritty VA type sounds that I need.

Someone asked if someone here had created a song on one, well I've created about 50 2min to 5 min songs when I was just starting out (I had nothing else). If you want to hear one as an example of what the EMX-1 can do, go to http://www.mixposure.com/song.php?songid=9205 and listen. Btw the other songs listed (except boss music 2) ARE NOT made with EMX-1 alone; just those 2.

Mister Normal

Post by Mister Normal » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:25 am

I am a big fan of the electribes because they are very conducive to spontaneous programming. Their downfall is their sounds unfortunately, which in themselves can be fairly generic and plastic-sounding stacked up next to a more expensive synth. But if we all had stacks of cash we would all have the likes of Doepfer systems, right? I know I would. For the cash you can get an EA1 mk1 or ER1 mk1 for, you cant go past them if you are on a budget. Both are satisfying to use and the Audio In Function makes (especially) the EA1, to my mind, indispensable in my set-up. Right now I have the EM1 and the EA1 mk1 and I must say, I use the EM-1 to sequence my MFB Synth II, sometimes my DX7, and I have the drums from the EM1 filter through either the Synth II or the EA-1, and then I can add delay to a) one or a few of the drum sounds on EM1, b) all of the drum sound on EM1, c) the post-gate-post-filter sound on EA1 or d) all of the above. Great for those like me who like to hit record and then bring parts and effects in and out etc.
As a seperate point, I know of a few artists who have used the electribe series synths, naming no names, but they sound great when used in the right context and programmed judiciously. but then hey doesnt everything?!
Jomox Xbase, Yamaha DX7, MFB Synth II ,Korg Electribe EA1/EM1, Tascam 424mkIII

voltageHead

eletcribes

Post by voltageHead » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:19 am

i think that the electribes are great i own the ea1,er1,es1,esx i am currently using the ea1 and the esx togeher .i just ordered a microkorg i plan on using with the esx first.
the first electribe i had was the es1 i thought it sounded great the momment i got it out of the box.
with the es1 i always use the smartmedia card to load the samples when i tried to sample trough the audio in it would distort if i tried to sample loud.and the normalize would not get it as loud as i wanted it.but loading them off the computer after i cranked up the sample volume on the wave editor onto smartmedia worked great.
did anyone esle have trouble with the audio ins on the es1
voltage head

sequence

Post by sequence » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:18 am

So not to purposely revive an old thread, but here's a ? for all U Electribers out there:

How would the EMX1 work strictly as a step sequencer for other MIDI gear? I have a chance to get one on the cheap and am seriously thinking about it.... TKS
twentyfirst century fizMO man

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:39 am

Man you really should have started a new thread for that, that'd been dead for almost a year.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:53 pm

sequence wrote:So not to purposely revive an old thread, but here's a ? for all U Electribers out there:

How would the EMX1 work strictly as a step sequencer for other MIDI gear? I have a chance to get one on the cheap and am seriously thinking about it.... TKS
they'd all be mono. So I guess it would be good if you didn't need chords, as the electribe sequencers are easy to use and fun...

totalvo

Post by totalvo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:07 pm

I just picked up an electribe for 80 bucks off of Ebay and I am very happy with it.. it is easy to use and you can get some surprising sounds out of the thing..

Dissolution_99

Post by Dissolution_99 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:17 pm

DGX305 wrote:if you would to get 2 Electribes, from all the old and newer availalbe models, which 2 would you get to play together?
if i dident have any i would get the EA-1 and the ER-1, they sound realy good tougher and are realy fun to play with.

TBA

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:49 pm

DGX305 wrote:if you would to get 2 Electribes, from all the old and newer availalbe models, which 2 would you get to play together?
if for some arbitrary reason I could only pick 2, I would pick the ESX and EMX... But I would much rather have the ER-1 MK2, ES-1 MK2, and EA-1 MK2... And those 3 will cost you less than the X models.

mikdrop

Post by mikdrop » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:01 pm

love the EMX its great....synths and drums in one machine....my next purchase is an mc 808 or 909 becuase they are more versitile with samples drum etc and the synth isnt mono but the EMX is great for oldskool sounds
Alesis Mircon, Ion, Microkorg, Korg EMX-1, Prophecy, Behringer Euroback UB 1202, Gibson SGs, Fender JB, PC w/ duo core P4 4GB RAM, Laptop PC w/Duo Core 2GB RAM, BBE sonic Maximizer , Abelton live 5, legacy collection, Roland DM-20 monitors

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:25 pm

ex_action_figure wrote:Anyone here ever try writting a song on the electribes? (more then 8 bars)

Pattern22 pos1 pattern22 pos2 pattern22 pos3 pattern25 pos4 pattern25 pos5 pattern28 pos6 pattern29 pos7 pattern 32 pos 8 pattern 22 pos9

yuck.

Eletribes are fun little boxes but suck a*s for doing anything serious with.
its more fun to make songs with them by programming in a number of patterns at the same tempo, many of them only slightly different from each other and have certain zones for what you think would fit well for certain sections of a song and then just improvise it with the pattern set function, it helps keep the sound from sounding excessively programmed. it takes work with an esx but if you have the right balance of improvisation and thinking about what youre doing you can get alot done.

tweak the modulation depth's, manipulate the pattern sets, part mutes, solos, and alot of copies of the same drum but with altered start times/levels... these are all key to getting interesting s**t out an ESX. oh and a smart media card/usb card writer, because without that card writer for transfering samples the ESX is about as useful to me as a sp202...

i cant wait till i get another electribe and an maudio 1010 running the esx outs into ableton...
blunted daydreaming