Electribes

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Yes or No?

Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes: 130

konvert

Post by konvert » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:53 pm

polardark wrote: The ER-1 is just a whacky little thing. I think I've never ever used it for drums, but I can never resist sprinkling a little bit of ER-1 whackyness over my tracks. Especially through a cheap a*s Behringer fx unit for some space madness.
Now THAT describes my love for the ER-1 better than perfectly.
You are so right. There's just something... unresistable in that little red box.
Vermona DRM1 mk2, Casio CZ-1000, MaM VF-11, Boss PC-2, Korg Minipops Junior

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:34 pm

My ESX is hands down my favorite piece of gear. Now that i learned how to use the sampler my songs are just getting off the hook. Its a complete all in one, and all my bass and drums and sometimes synth is done on it. I use it for really blippy square wave sequences and even leads sometimes. It is my sole backbone of my sound.

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:05 pm

konvert wrote:
polardark wrote: The ER-1 is just a whacky little thing. I think I've never ever used it for drums, but I can never resist sprinkling a little bit of ER-1 whackyness over my tracks. Especially through a cheap a*s Behringer fx unit for some space madness.
You are so right. There's just something... unresistable in that little red box.
If you have ever listened to "Electronic Performers" by AIR.... I'm 100% sure the rhythm is an ER-1. I have read somewhere that they are big fans of the Electribe series.

It's got that really typical cheap sound of it with some motion sequenced delay. Wonderful :D
Monkey business since 2007!

nilade

Post by nilade » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:15 am

This song "Glass House" by El Guapo uses an ER-1 preset pattern straight up thorughout the song. I had listened to this song a hundred times and one day I was scrolling through my Electribe and the exact pattern showed up. You can hear it here: http://www.southern.net/southern/band/E ... _house.mp3

Anyway, they're definitely useful, but clearly limited. My favorite thing about it was using the audio-in to pattern gate field recordings from my minidisc to do some freaky stuff. In the few days I've had my Yamaha AN200 it's killed anything I did with an Electribe though.

Also, you can hear some pretty rad EA-1 stuff on Andreas Tillianders "World Industries" album.

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:12 am

nilade wrote:This song "Glass House" by El Guapo uses an ER-1 preset pattern straight up thorughout the song. I had listened to this song a hundred times and one day I was scrolling through my Electribe and the exact pattern showed up.
Oh that's terrible! Why would anyone use a preset pattern programmed by some dude at Korg when there are so many wonderful knobs on it? Typical indie guys knowing nothing about anything except nice flashing lights on their newfound electribe..... This attitude is why people hate electribes in the first place :?
Monkey business since 2007!

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:28 am

tell em, Sexor :lol:

the ESX is one of the strangest things ever. it's ability to completely shred and freakify the samples is very useful - so nice and tasty sounding.

The EMX is like a spoiled brat that won't shut up. but, she shakes her blue tush so well and can tear through a mix like hot lead.
Last edited by shaft9000 on Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Entropy Farmer

Post by Entropy Farmer » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:59 am

Sexor wrote:
konvert wrote:
If you have ever listened to "Electronic Performers" by AIR.... I'm 100% sure the rhythm is an ER-1. I have read somewhere that they are big fans of the Electribe series.

It's got that really typical cheap sound of it with some motion sequenced delay. Wonderful :D
If that's true, I can never make fun of an ER-1 again. That's my favorite Air song.

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:53 pm

hey friends,

I finally got it yesterday night.. I brought the EM1 home and listened to the presets and they sound fine to me.. I only played a few of them because I was tireddddd. The plan is to record some drums or whatever, sequence the Virus or the ION and then record to Ableton Live track by track.. I can't wait to get home tonight and play with this music instrument.. I dig.. Thank you all.. Without this board I wouldn't of known too much about it.. Cheers.

I like it.. THanks all for this thread.. Like I said, I just bought my own Christmas present as well as my b-day present as my b-day is on the 22nd of Dec. .. Booooooohhhh.

AudiosEnvy

Post by AudiosEnvy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:41 am

Congrats onthe purchase. When you get a chance, check out some of the other Electribes. I've owned evey single one at some point in time and the Emx and Er-1 stood the test and are still currently sitting in my line-up.

The Emx is my go-to synth when I need a quick and powerfull lead. Stack the voices, pan and effect to taste and it gets even better.

The ER-1 I use exactly like sexor and convert. I sprinkle a bit of fills on whatever I am using, filter and effect to taste and it jsut fills in the gaps oh so good it's amazing. I've even gotten some great single shots and stand-alone drums otu of it with a bit of tweaking.
Gear list, Studio Pics and Music on my MySpace:

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:21 pm

this is probably mentioned somewhere else but I'm mentioning it here:

you can get great effect by patching your drum machine into the ea-1's audio in, setting the EA-1's OSC 1 to 'audio in', osc balance to around 50/50, and set ringmod 'on'.

Some of you probably remember me as an ea-1 hater.. well I've changed my mind! I bought another one for my all-batteries busking rig (it shant be hard to mod the ea-1 to run on batteries) and since getting it i've fell in love with it. I think last time I was too young and hyped about it and it fell flat. Now i know what I'm getting into it's a much better relationship. That and I put my dr-110 through it! totally breathes new life into that drum box, it sounds awesome.

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:42 pm

I like the music of GIOHOUSE. I dig. :wink:

AudiosEnvy wrote:Congrats onthe purchase. When you get a chance, check out some of the other Electribes. I've owned evey single one at some point in time and the Emx and Er-1 stood the test and are still currently sitting in my line-up.

The Emx is my go-to synth when I need a quick and powerfull lead. Stack the voices, pan and effect to taste and it gets even better.

The ER-1 I use exactly like sexor and convert. I sprinkle a bit of fills on whatever I am using, filter and effect to taste and it jsut fills in the gaps oh so good it's amazing. I've even gotten some great single shots and stand-alone drums otu of it with a bit of tweaking.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:46 pm

did someone say Electribe? :wink:

my fave is the EMX, followed by the ESX, EA, EM and then ER. lately, i've been just using my Electribes along with my microKORG and it never ceases to amaze me as to the level of detail and weirdness that can be found in Korg's tiny family.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:05 am

cripes this thread is old.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

AudiosEnvy

Post by AudiosEnvy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:20 am

LoL Thank you. I have so many styles in the work I dunno where to begin. My newest composition is for political ads. A moving piece with strings, trumpets and a tympany build. That should be up on my page soon.
Mpresev wrote:I like the music of GIOHOUSE. I dig. :wink:

AudiosEnvy wrote:Congrats onthe purchase. When you get a chance, check out some of the other Electribes. I've owned evey single one at some point in time and the Emx and Er-1 stood the test and are still currently sitting in my line-up.

Gear list, Studio Pics and Music on my MySpace:

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:14 pm

Sexor wrote:Why would anyone use a preset pattern programmed by some dude at Korg ?
Probably because it was way hipper than any beat they could think of.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.