It's all DX-7...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

It's all DX-7...

Post by Micke » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:05 pm

If you love the sound of the DX-7 then I highly recommend you to watch this '80s action-flick:

THE EXTERMINATOR II (1984 - music by David Spear)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YtvPlESgGvQ (intro)

According to composer David Spear the score was entirely done on a Yamaha DX-7 and an Oberheim drummachine (either a DMX or DX)!

Unfortunately the soundtrack was never released on vinyl or CD.

There are several soundtracks that were (almost) entirely done on one synthesizer only, eg the Moog modular, EMS VCS3, Prophet 5, Jupiter 8, Synclavier, the Fairlight CMI etc.
However, I don't think I know of any other score --besides Exterminator 2--that was entirely done on the DX-7.

Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Dano

Post by Dano » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:30 pm

Thanks Micke - I enjoyed that! I definitely recognized the DX sounds and the movie had the look of the movies I remember from when I was a teen-ager.

I think I'll play with my DX200 for a while when I get home tonight. :)

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:22 pm

Haha, the music seems so happy for a movie of this type. But I like it. ;)
Well fffff.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:31 pm

Take away the nice drum machine and you have early 90's soundblaster game music. Bad use of the DX7 I say. Would you really want this released?

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:06 pm

yeah, it kid of sounds like he picked off the hit list of cheesy FM sounds to create the backing track... the movie looks dark as h**l, too bad the music doesn't fit!
The thought of using one synth + drum machine to do a soundtrack is pretty cool tho.
Do you even post on vse bro?

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:06 pm

D-Collector wrote:Take away the nice drum machine and you have early 90's soundblaster game music. Bad use of the DX7 I say. Would you really want this released?
Silence, infidel. It's nostalgia.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:27 pm

I know :wink:

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:12 am

Oh s**t, I remember seeing this movie when I was a kid (I know I saw part I anyhow, and I'm pretty sure part II as well, don't imagine there was a whole lot of difference between them.) It made me really want my own flame thrower.

Whenever we used to go visit my Dad on weekends he'd turn me and my brothers loose in the video store and let us rent whatever R-rated movies we wanted. I think we saw every Road Warrior/Escape From NY/Death Wish rip-off that came out in the '80s.

And ninja movies too, anybody remember Sho Kosugi? That guy was my idol when I was 10.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:56 am

Sir Ruff wrote:yeah, it kid of sounds like he picked off the hit list of cheesy FM sounds to create the backing track... the movie looks dark as h**l, too bad the music doesn't fit!
I know, it's like the music was written for an 80's comedy or something. Especially in the murder scene. :?
soundcloud.com/vectron

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:23 am

I'd wager that this soundtrack would've sounded better with analogue synths, but it was still a lot of fun watching that clip :D
pricklyrobot wrote:And ninja movies too, anybody remember Sho Kosugi? That guy was my idol when I was 10.
Who could forget Sho Kosugi?!? (contains synthesized music, so not totally OT ;) )

- CM

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:06 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:The thought of using one synth + drum machine to do a soundtrack is pretty cool tho.
Funny you should say that...

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:46 pm

While I agree that this soundtrack sounds cheesy and awfully dated, I don't find it all that bad. At the same time it has to be said its composer, David Spear, ain't no Carpenter or Goblin.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:16 pm

clubbedtodeath wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:The thought of using one synth + drum machine to do a soundtrack is pretty cool tho.
Funny you should say that...
no efx allowed tho :wink:
Do you even post on vse bro?

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:23 pm

Never seen Exterminator II. (But I probably will in future.) I bet it displays the DX7's versatility (even without sampling capabilities). Is it just one filmscore that is 90% DX synths? Are there others like it around?
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

sleestack

Post by sleestack » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:37 am

judging from that clip they should have named him the procrastinator. He showed up a little late I'd say.