Filter pole question

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
urbanscallywag

Post by urbanscallywag » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:32 am

Bitexion wrote:You can read lots about the filter theory, why 1 pole equals 3dB and rolloff curves around the net.
Errmm 1 pole is -6dB per octave...

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:37 am

Yes of course, dunno where my head was :P

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:36 am

Analog Freak wrote: You're somewhat on the right track, however, your equation is in the z domain which is for discreet time systems and we're discussing analog systems. You need to be in the s-domain young grasshoppa'. :)
You engineers and your crazy s-domain. Isn't the complex plane good enough for you?
I should say, I've never done EE - the only reason I ever really connected the two is because the nomenclature of control theory is somewhere halfway between its engineering origins and a proper mathematical lingo :)
virb.com/ookpikk

Analog Freak

Post by Analog Freak » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:08 am

I agree that the s domain is crazy, but I'm not in charge of what the engineering profession decides is the right method to use. I just have to learn enough of it to get my degree and get out of college. One more year...
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.

urbanscallywag

Post by urbanscallywag » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:46 am

GeneralBigbag wrote:
Analog Freak wrote: You're somewhat on the right track, however, your equation is in the z domain which is for discreet time systems and we're discussing analog systems. You need to be in the s-domain young grasshoppa'. :)
You engineers and your crazy s-domain. Isn't the complex plane good enough for you?
I should say, I've never done EE - the only reason I ever really connected the two is because the nomenclature of control theory is somewhere halfway between its engineering origins and a proper mathematical lingo :)
Isn't the s-domain the same as the complex plane?

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:07 am

Then why can't I use a z if I want, or are you doing a Laplace transform into the bargain?
virb.com/ookpikk