Have the prices peaked yet?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
guitarsandsynths
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:05 am
Real name: Angelo Metz
Band: Brazility
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Have the prices peaked yet?

Post by guitarsandsynths » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:10 am

I have been seeing a lot of great gear for sale lately, and it seems the asking prices are still going up. Are this offers being met? I don't know, but my guess is that they are not. A lot of stuff go unsold on ebay. Will the instrument market have the same fate as real state? Will the prices go down? By how much?
I hope prices go down so I can afford a few more synths! Ehe!
Minimoog ModelD Prophet5 Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 CSQ100 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202 Simmons SDS9

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9723
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:41 pm
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX
Location: monster island*
Contact:

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:54 am

They won't go down, the people who paid a high price for stuff won't want to sell for less than they paid, and vintage stuff breaks down over time so there'll be less on the market.

If you really want good value there's a lot of bargains to be had at the moment from stuff that's been recently discontinued and people have been forgetting about. The original V-Synth, MS2000, the last range of hardware E-Mu synths are all seriously undervalued at the moment and prices of them will start going up in a big way in a year or two. (OK maybe not the MS2000, but it is a bargain) Get 'em now before everyone realises and you pay too much.

User avatar
hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1222
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:57 pm
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi
Location: Reykjavík, Iceland
Contact:

Post by hageir » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:35 pm

here's a little insider tip:
[size=0]all the black plastic (koa?) 90's synths can be had for cheap!
everyone wants the colorful synths with wooden ends :lol:[/size]
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

User avatar
Jexus
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:59 am

Post by Jexus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:45 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:They won't go down, the people who paid a high price for stuff won't want to sell for less than they paid,

Stupid people :lol: . Why did the pay so much ?
I hope the won't sell it and will suffer and die from frustration.

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9723
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:41 pm
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX
Location: monster island*
Contact:

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:14 pm

Jexus wrote:Stupid people :lol: . Why did the pay so much ?
That's the price for following trends rather than setting them...

User avatar
guitarsandsynths
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:05 am
Real name: Angelo Metz
Band: Brazility
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by guitarsandsynths » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:14 pm

[quote="Stab Frenzy"]They won't go down, the people who paid a high price for stuff won't want to sell for less than they paid, and vintage stuff breaks down over time so there'll be less on the market.

I disagree. There's a big recession already here. Musicians feel it first. People by stuff they don't need, they overspend, they borrowed against their houses, in many cases to buy overpriced synths, just because it was used by some stupid 80's band. The synth market is inflated. Now they will have to sell it. Since a lot o people are in the same situation there will be less willing buyers.
Also, vintage synths don't brake that easy. There won't be less, but more. There are still synths in closets and storages and even dumpsters. These can be restored and put back on the market. And as the time passes more synths will become classics. Including digital and virtual synths(urgh!). And the stupid bands will be forgotten.
Prices are already coming down, but the idiots who overpaid are now trying to sell for what they paid and it's not gonna happen!
Ehe!
Minimoog ModelD Prophet5 Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 CSQ100 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202 Simmons SDS9

User avatar
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:03 pm
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.
Location: Chicago

Post by wiss » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:18 pm

nope never going down, infact they are much on the rise. weak american dollar, more americans willing to ship to europe and other parts. I would say average ebay prices have gone up. There are steal good deals but its all about being proactive about it.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

User avatar
hyphen nation
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 877
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:43 am
Gear: boxes that make noises
Location: sunny northwest

Post by hyphen nation » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:18 pm

Locally, I have been seeing some pretty great gear, at decent prices that is not selling...I think that prices do need to come down some...some gear that didn't depreciate much from new, may in fact, need to join the rest of the used market at 60% of new cost, not 90%...

...now someone sell me a 777 for $500, common you know you need the gas money...

User avatar
guitarsandsynths
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:05 am
Real name: Angelo Metz
Band: Brazility
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by guitarsandsynths » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:04 pm

wiss wrote:nope never going down, infact they are much on the rise. weak american dollar, more americans willing to ship to europe and other parts. I would say average ebay prices have gone up. There are steal good deals but its all about being proactive about it.
Prices are already lower. Asking prices are up, because a lot of people are in the hole. They need cash and don't want to sell their prized possesions. But nobody is paying. If you look at the last few months, Jup8 used to sell around 4 or 5 Gs. Lately 2.5 to 3. Tb 303s used to sell for a fortune. Now not more than 1.5.
Overseas people will catch up to that real quick, specially because they have to pay high taxes, fees and shiping, and they are not as materialistc as americans. But I agree the weak dolar make it easier for them. I'm from Brazil and my frinds there are now able to afford more gear. We'll see.
Minimoog ModelD Prophet5 Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 CSQ100 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202 Simmons SDS9

GeneralBigbag
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:16 pm
Location: Grad school

Post by GeneralBigbag » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:08 pm

guitarsandsynths wrote:
I disagree. There's a big recession already here. Musicians feel it first.
At the prices these things are selling for these days, how many buyers do you think are working musicians? Sure there's a bit of a recession in the works, but it will need to hit a whole lot harder to get synth prices down.
Also, vintage synths don't brake that easy. There won't be less, but more. There are still synths in closets and storages and even dumpsters. These can be restored and put back on the market. And as the time passes more synths will become classics. Including digital and virtual synths(urgh!)
I'm pretty sure that the number of vintage synths (where vintage means 70s-80s) is a decreasing function of time. They do break, plain and simple, and unless prices are high enough, they won't be worth repairing to a lot of people.

As I see it, there are so many fantastic new synths on the market, there are increasingly fewer artistic reasons to buy the vintage classics, such that those who do will largely be nostalgic or collectors, and that's not good for low prices.
virb.com/ookpikk

User avatar
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3519
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 11:55 pm
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle
Location: Philadelphia

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:17 pm

guitarsandsynths wrote: Overseas people will catch up to that real quick, specially because they have to pay high taxes, fees and shiping, and they are not as materialistc as americans.
that's a pretty stupid thing to say... Like any other country's citizens, when given the buying power would NOT buy all the s**t that we do? Last time I checked, China was buying cars like crazy...

materialism has nothing to do with being american-we just happen to be the country that invented a lot of the products being bought, therefore are in a better position to buy them.
Do you even post on vse bro?

User avatar
guitarsandsynths
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:05 am
Real name: Angelo Metz
Band: Brazility
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by guitarsandsynths » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:37 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
guitarsandsynths wrote: Overseas people will catch up to that real quick, specially because they have to pay high taxes, fees and shiping, and they are not as materialistc as americans.
that's a pretty stupid thing to say... Like any other country's citizens, when given the buying power would NOT buy all the s**t that we do? Last time I checked, China was buying cars like crazy...

materialism has nothing to do with being american-we just happen to be the country that invented a lot of the products being bought, therefore are in a better position to buy them.
So, you're saying americans are not materialistic? Ehe? Smart. And you're saying, and I quote "all the s**t". Exactly! s**t for most. And you're saying that people will pay more just because they can? Usually people who can afford things are smart with their money. They will take advantage of our weakness, you can be sure, but not by paying these ridiculous asking prices. People take notice of trends. They won't buy if they think the price will be lower just around the corner. Have you traveled much? Know a lot of foreigners? Watch the news? Completed auctions?
Minimoog ModelD Prophet5 Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 CSQ100 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202 Simmons SDS9

User avatar
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3911
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: New York City

Post by JSRockit » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:50 pm

guitarsandsynths wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
guitarsandsynths wrote: Overseas people will catch up to that real quick, specially because they have to pay high taxes, fees and shiping, and they are not as materialistc as americans.
that's a pretty stupid thing to say... Like any other country's citizens, when given the buying power would NOT buy all the s**t that we do? Last time I checked, China was buying cars like crazy...

materialism has nothing to do with being american-we just happen to be the country that invented a lot of the products being bought, therefore are in a better position to buy them.
So, you're saying americans are not materialistic? Ehe? Smart. And you're saying, and I quote "all the s**t". Exactly! s**t for most. And you're saying that people will pay more just because they can? Usually people who can afford things are smart with their money. They will take advantage of our weakness, you can be sure, but not by paying these ridiculous asking prices. People take notice of trends. They won't buy if they think the price will be lower just around the corner. Have you traveled much? Know a lot of foreigners? Watch the news? Completed auctions?
Yes, america's citizens are generally materialistic...as are any other country's citizens who have disposable income. If a poorer country's citizens were given more opportunities to make cash and have disposable income, they'd be materialistic as well.

Synth prices are going up because the dollar is weak, synths are cool again in bands and in studios, and older synths are getting rarer. That said, I doubt they will go down again unless there is a global crisis of some sort that affects the economy of all countries. Alot of vintage synths are getting very old...and working examples are sure to dwindle...so they will go for alot more than they are now. We will look back to today and feel the prices we are bitching about are bargains. Even if there is a backlash against real synths (non-arranger type synths) in popular music, there are enough geeks to sustain the market...which really is miniscule in comparison to guitars.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

User avatar
Jexus
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:59 am

Post by Jexus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:53 pm

guitarsandsynths wrote: They will take advantage of our weakness, you can be sure, but not by paying these ridiculous asking prices. People take notice of trends. They won't buy if they think the price will be lower just around the corner.

If you're talking about businessmen, then you're right.
But you're forgetting aficionados who pay attention to nothing but their wishes and desires to be satisfied.

I don't think a real hobbyist will wait 2 years until X drops in price from $1200 to $800. He will buy it with no delay and enjoy it throughout these 2 years and forever.

User avatar
Esus
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 741
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:58 am

Post by Esus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:56 pm

Supply and Demand 101. If a gizmo is perceived to have some kind of value, someone will pay for it. Add popularity, scarcity, or cachet to the mix, and the price goes up.

Post Reply