Have the prices peaked yet?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:56 pm

soundxplorer wrote:
clubbedtodeath wrote:There are three, not two things, that dictate market conditions:

Supply, demand, and credit.

I've realized something about myself lately. I used to have credit card debt (because of gear purchases), but I paid it all off a couple of years ago. Now I have a substantial amount of money saved specifically for purchasing gear, but I am finding it much harder to commit to a purchase with my cold hard cash. With a credit card, it was easy to say "this isn't really my money".

The psychology of credit is dangerous.
agreed...The more I save for synths, the more I just want to save...though, had an interesting discussion about this fact on Moog forum, and one of the guys said he has two accounds, essentially one is saving for retirement, etc...the other is for music/interests...percentages of each check goes into each...The only thing I am toying with is actually three accounts, one for day to day living/family expenses that I share with my wife, one that saves for our future, and one that is just instrument money....

because when you see it is your bank account that is taking the hit of a $1500-$2000 synth, it can be a pretty hard pill to swallow...at least it is for me..

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:16 pm

hyphen nation wrote:The only thing I am toying with is actually three accounts, one for day to day living/family expenses that I share with my wife, one that saves for our future, and one that is just instrument money....
That's pretty much what I do. I've set up a seperate PayPal account for my gear purchases. When it gets low - I sell something. And with the PayPal money market, you earn 2% on your balance and get 1.5% back on purchases with their debit card. It's not much, but every little bit helps.

Back to the original topic, I don't think prices have peaked, but the curve is getting dulled. Prices will continue to rise, just at the rate they have been in the past year or so. More and more are discovering electronic music and synthesizers and usually the first instrumets you learn about are the classics. Most will think that a classic synth is what they want because so and so used one and will pay the going rate. Once they become more educated, they'll learn about modern or alternate gear. Collectors will still buy classic synths and many musicians will buy them for ease of use, nostalgia or they've got to have that sound. I like using classic synths for ease of use.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:32 pm

hyphen nation wrote:
because when you see it is your bank account that is taking the hit of a $1500-$2000 synth, it can be a pretty hard pill to swallow...at least it is for me..
That's the truth... that is why I buy alot of cheaper items these days and then when I need a more expensive one, I sell all the cheaper stuff. :oops:
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:48 pm

Ha ha... yeah, with this whole postmodern Recycle Two Decades Ago aesthetic, analog should be out very soon... but be warned... we're coming up against the overlap point where there won't be a decade to recycle except a decade which was already recycling... so the trend will either find stuff in that decade that weren't being recycled, or it will have to resort to recycling a recycled decade.

Or, like JS said... black hole.

Someone had better invent a new genre.
And, uh... all of the electronic ones have already been done. :wink:
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:43 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Ha ha... yeah, with this whole postmodern Recycle Two Decades Ago aesthetic, analog should be out very soon... but be warned... we're coming up against the overlap point where there won't be a decade to recycle except a decade which was already recycling... so the trend will either find stuff in that decade that weren't being recycled, or it will have to resort to recycling a recycled decade.

Or, like JS said... black hole.

Someone had better invent a new genre.
And, uh... all of the electronic ones have already been done. :wink:
Uh oh, don't go there! (I pretty much said the same thing in a now deleted OT post)

But you're right, the 00s have given us s**t all in terms of new music or sounds-pop and rap are sounding more similar and electronic, and that's about it. rock is dead, etc. Basically, this has been the decade of "retro" in whatever form...

Acid house and techno are coming up on their 20 year anniversary (well, the "summer of love" basically), and so I imagine that will peak interest in late 80s sounds again, despite that limited fad that was "New Rave"... That will drive peeps to want to aquire THAT gear, and prices may or not be the same as they were 10 years ago!

As long as one person can convince another that new synths can do THAT sound, there will always be a market.... Even today, it blows my mind that the mainly sample-based 909 commands such ridiculous prices despite having been imitated ad nauseum.
Do you even post on vse bro?

guitarsandsynths
Band: Brazility

Post by guitarsandsynths » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:15 pm

There will allways be people who don't care about trends and just want to find their own sound. I don't think there is a problem with any kind of music. The problem is the perceived value of music. Or the added value. Why some bands are picked up and others don't? Why some styles sell millions and others don't? The music is pretty much all the same. Usually no more than 3 chords, the familiar verse chorus verse chorus bridge etc...
And nobody is saying anything that's revolutionary in their lyrics. Basicaly the more chords less it will sell. Ehe!!! How much of the musical trend influences the price of instruments is relative. A 59 les paul is not a "instrument of a trendy style" at this particular historical moment and it's pretty valuable. Will anybody pay a fortune for an mpc because it was used in rap hits? Now. I think a good case study in overprice would be the tb 303. Any opinions on that one?
How about a minimoog? Will it be the 59' Les Paul of synths?
A new Fender cost maybe 200 bucks in the 50's. Now it costs a small fortune. A new OB-8 cost like 4 gs when it was released? Maybe more? I picked one this week for $320. If it increases in value like a les paul did I will have a small fortune in 20 or 30 years, right?
Minimoog ModelD Prophet5 Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 CSQ100 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202 Simmons SDS9

mute

Post by mute » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:53 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:OK maybe not the MS2000, but it is a bargain)
why are you picking on the ms2000? or did u mean its price isnt as low as the others...

fyi.. its used price has increased over 100 usd in the last year alone, rack or kb version.. especially the B version (grey>green).

edit: ah, nm.. i get what you're saying.. its price shouldnt increase any more than it already has. hope so :)

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:32 am

pricklyrobot wrote: Here's hoping it all collapses in on itself like a big, stupid, pop-culture black hole and sucks all those tight-jeans-and-big-white-sneakers-wearing dorks (from a distance I can't distinguish the young hipsters from the burnt-out, middle-aged heshers anymore; the clever irony only becomes visible at under 20 feet) into an alternate universe.
Don't worry. Soon it will be flannel and ripped jeans.
What happens at fondue stays at fondue!

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:59 am

neandrewthal wrote:
pricklyrobot wrote: Here's hoping it all collapses in on itself like a big, stupid, pop-culture black hole and sucks all those tight-jeans-and-big-white-sneakers-wearing dorks (from a distance I can't distinguish the young hipsters from the burnt-out, middle-aged heshers anymore; the clever irony only becomes visible at under 20 feet) into an alternate universe.
Don't worry. Soon it will be flannel and ripped jeans.
It's been flannel and Ripped jeans here in PDX for months...but again...it's harder to sight the irony...Flanne and Ripped jeans in a snowboarding shop is irony, out on burnside it's financially challenged...

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:42 pm

The good news as that while analogue prices continue to rise there are more and more great deals appearing for digital synths and samplers. So now is the time to buy up these overlooked boards.

And maybe, just maybe, in 10 or so year's time analogue synths will be out of style again and therefore be worth next to nothing. I severely doubt it though.

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:21 pm

hyphen nation wrote:It's been flannel and Ripped jeans here in PDX for months...
God dammit.

*Takes off skinny tie and uses it to strap a Jag-Stang*
Too futurist to live.

mute

Post by mute » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:36 pm

guitarsandsynths wrote:Will anybody pay a fortune for an mpc because it was used in rap hits?
Where have you been? They already do.

the e-mu sp 1200 is another good ridiculous example.. thousands upon thousands of those things were made, they aren't hard to get hold of, their feature sets are really really thin, yet they demand anywhere between 1200-2000 usd.

guitarsandsynths
Band: Brazility

Post by guitarsandsynths » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:12 am

Thank you all for the replies.
This was a fun tread!
Later
;)
Minimoog ModelD Prophet5 Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 CSQ100 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202 Simmons SDS9

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:22 am

A SCI DRUMTRACKS sold for $875 with a BIN a few days ago, so I am going to say the prices have not yet peaked.

It was not NOS if that makes a difference.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:55 am

mute wrote:
guitarsandsynths wrote:Will anybody pay a fortune for an mpc because it was used in rap hits?
Where have you been? They already do.

the e-mu sp 1200 is another good ridiculous example.. thousands upon thousands of those things were made, they aren't hard to get hold of, their feature sets are really really thin, yet they demand anywhere between 1200-2000 usd.
But on the flipside, the mpc60 is cheaper than it's ever been...
Do you even post on vse bro?