SH-1000/2000

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

SH-1000/2000

Post by monolith » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:50 am

hello,
I have a friend who is willing to trade an sh-1000 for one of my guitars.
i've searched on here and there's not alot of discussion about them.

Anyone here own one? i'd love to know what you think..(i cant check it out 'til sunday)
I've watched Automatic Gainsay's video, it sounds pretty cool.

I own a juno-6, and i'm very tempted by the appeal of portamento and S&H..
Is it very limited in the sounds you can get from it? (for example, is the ADSR as flexible as the juno's?)

also, how much do they sell for? completed ebay listings revealed nowt.

thanks in advance.

m

EDIT: Turns out its an SH-2000 does anyone know how much they sell for?

8)
Last edited by monolith on Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:25 pm

I have an SH 1000 and it's a very nice synth. Mine fortunatly has a bit of output issue whn it warms up, the volume decreases. It's probably a capitator or a shorted out resister or something, which I need to get fixed.

The main claim to fame the SH 1000 has is that it was the first commercially available Japanese synthesizer.

It looks pretty cool too.

Here's a demo on youtube

MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:21 pm

I have one. I wouldn't want it to be my only synth, that's for certain.. but it can make appealling bass and leads. I only got it a few weeks ago and it took a full night of beer and experiments to figure out how everything works exactly (those organ-tabs threw me off originally).

my dislikes are:
- noise is very quiet, mixed to 100% volume it is still not very present against the osc
- keyboard is "lowest-takes-precedence" instead of my preferred "higher-takes-precedence" which means I can't keep a finger on the root of my key and then wank around an octave above.

my likes are just about everything else.. it's a great addition to my studio.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:48 pm

th0mas wrote: my dislikes are:
- noise is very quiet, mixed to 100% volume it is still not very present against the osc
-
Funny, mine doesn't have that issue.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:19 am

OK.....
So it turns out that it is an SH-2000 which kinda sucks, because it seems a lot more limited than the sh-1000... but still, i'm quite tempted...
so i guess i'll ask the same question, but regarding the sh-2000.
Does anyone here recpmmend it?

cheers for the replies fellas. 8)

nvining
Gear: CS80, Chroma, Synclavier, DK Synergy II+, Matrix 12, Memorymoog+, CS20m, Clavinet, AlphaSyntauri, Korg Micropreset, Lexicon 480L, Otari RADAR

Post by nvining » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:53 am

I have an SH-2000 and must confess to being quite fond of it. It's very limited, you're right - you have a bank of weird tabs on the bottom, and the right-most tab is used; you get some minimal control over 'effects', but nothing to write home about (except for the touch-sensitive growl, which is fabulous and one of the centerpieces of the synth.)

That said, if used in the right set of musical circumstances it's fabulous. Some of the sounds are fabulous leads for jazz and funk, if you want to sound like Chick Corea/Herbie Hancock/Bernie Worrell, plus because of the presets you have a lot of sounds that you can choose from and it's very easy to find something in a live setting that fits. Some reviewers say that it sounds a lot like a Minimoog, and this isn't exactly a lie. The sounds integrate nicely with other instruments in a band, or other keyboards. My favourite trick is to stack it on top of my Rhodes or Clavinet and play synth leads over rhythms or chords.

Also, the preset names are fabulous. 'Frogman' produces mad funky squelches, whereas 'Planet' and 'Space Reed' produce fabulous outerplanetary funksmanship.

The one thing it can't do? Synth bass.

My recommendation? If you're into jazz and funk, grab it. It's not a knob twister by any means, but for jazz/funk leads it's a winner. I got mine for $60 + 20% auction fee when it turned up at a dubious auction in the middle of godforsaken nowhere (aka: Coombs, B.C.); however, I'd say anything under and including about $400 is a reasonable price for a unit in mint condition.

Sadly, mine suffered an accident; my girlfriend dropped it on a Leslie Combo Preamp, and a key shattered. Now, after replacing the key, it doesn't work at all. In the mean time, I am gigging with an ARP Pro Soloist...
"We have to remember that Moogs, ARPs and all of the first synths had been created by raging madmen." - Jean-Michael Jarre

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:06 am

Thanks for that reply, :)
i cant say i'll be using it for jazz or funk (though i do dig herbie hancock's tones) I was thinking it would be rad for some distinctly vintage portamento lines over my juno's arpeggiator.
So it cant, by any stretch do bass very well? Why is that?
because i was thinking it would be glorious to use for some slippery-ness.
(i REALLY dig portamento :wink:)

Does the filter self oscillate?

nvining
Gear: CS80, Chroma, Synclavier, DK Synergy II+, Matrix 12, Memorymoog+, CS20m, Clavinet, AlphaSyntauri, Korg Micropreset, Lexicon 480L, Otari RADAR

Post by nvining » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:51 am

I honestly don't know why it can't do bass well. I'm more of a player, sadly, and not really a fountain of knowledge about the inner workings of these things. I just find that it sounds rather... well, farty and unconvincing. It may be just that it doesn't have a nicely designed preset for such things, for whatever reason - remember that the SH series of synthesizer (and the Pro Soloist, the Moog Satellite, etc.) were all designed to sit on top of your horrible, wretched Kimball Swinger organ in order to give Grandpa the ukelele and banjo noises he needed to play the Hawaiian musical hits of his childhood. :)

Again, no idea why it is. It may just lack whatever mystical bit of the synthesizer gives it the 'essential phatness' demanded by so many and found by so few. If that's what you want you may have to dish out some more cash and get something like an SCI Pro One with a little more lower-end punch.

The portamento is fun, though. And yes, the filter self-oscillates. At least on my model. I think they changed their filter later in their production run because it was 'too close' to the filter of the Minimoog. It definitely doesn't sound like a cheap or toy synthesizer. Despite the lack of versatility, it's a great expressive little instrument. Turn on the touch sensitivity and the growl and wah knobs, crank the filter and away you go. I'd definitely pick up another one as opposed to, say, a Yamaha CS-5 or any of the cheaper more adjustable non-preset ones. This, and the Pro Soloist (which I actually DID pry off of a little old lady's organ; her husband used to play polka music on it...) have both been fabulous instruments.
"We have to remember that Moogs, ARPs and all of the first synths had been created by raging madmen." - Jean-Michael Jarre

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Re: SH-1000/2000

Post by wiss » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:42 pm

monolith wrote:hello,
I have a friend who is willing to trade an sh-2000 for one of my guitars.
which guitar?
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

moogplayer
Gear: minimoog, synare PS2, roland vp-330, monomachine, roland paraphonic rs-505, roland sh2, roland rs-09, boss dr-55, synsonics drums, moog prodigy

Post by moogplayer » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:06 am

I found the SH-2000 to be a very warm synth and the tracks sit well in the mix. Used it in my band few a couple of years. Easy to use and play live. I used to hit 'random notes" and hoist that thing above my head on stage.
minimoog, synare PS2, roland vp-330, monomachine, roland paraphonic rs-505, roland sh2, roland rs-09, boss dr-55, synsonics drums, moog prodigy

Multiplex
http://multiplexmusic.bandcamp.com

Muniq
http://muniq.bandcamp.com

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: SH-1000/2000

Post by monolith » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:47 am

wiss wrote:
monolith wrote:hello,
I have a friend who is willing to trade an sh-2000 for one of my guitars.
which guitar?
An '80's Tokai SG copy. It's quite nice, i prefer it over my Gibson one.

guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by guesswho » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:54 am

Read but never implemented:

- connecting all the rocker switches in a straight pass would allow you to mix all waveforms simultaneously, allowing you to be able to mix saw, square, PWM and noise. The preset envelope settings would be mixed as well.

- and without modding anything but by simply placing the "random" note switch between "note" and "on", the oscillator bank would be noise modulated.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:42 am

Apparently the Units made after 578049 dont have the moog-esque filter, however the one i may get is in the 38---- range. Which is nice.
Do any of you guys have any tracks posted online that feature this little beasty?
guesswho wrote:Read but never implemented:

- connecting all the rocker switches in a straight pass would allow you to mix all waveforms simultaneously, allowing you to be able to mix saw, square, PWM and noise. The preset envelope settings would be mixed as well.
That's rad, do/did you own one? Do you think it would be hard to do?
guesswho wrote:- and without modding anything but by simply placing the "random" note switch between "note" and "on", the oscillator bank would be noise modulated.
Pardon my ignorance, but what does that do, soundwise? a kind of ring mod or cross mod?

:oops:

moogplayer
Gear: minimoog, synare PS2, roland vp-330, monomachine, roland paraphonic rs-505, roland sh2, roland rs-09, boss dr-55, synsonics drums, moog prodigy

Post by moogplayer » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:22 am

my old band bipolarbear. Both songs have a lot of SH2000

http://www.purevolume.com/bipolarbear
minimoog, synare PS2, roland vp-330, monomachine, roland paraphonic rs-505, roland sh2, roland rs-09, boss dr-55, synsonics drums, moog prodigy

Multiplex
http://multiplexmusic.bandcamp.com

Muniq
http://muniq.bandcamp.com

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:20 am

moogplayer wrote:my old band bipolarbear. Both songs have a lot of SH2000

http://www.purevolume.com/bipolarbear
Nice! i really dig that track 'pros and cons'.