Just one last synth.........

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
DIGITAL SCREAMS
Band: Digital Screams

Just one last synth.........

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:03 pm

Hi all

I would appreciate some input on my final synth acquisition....

Im very happy with my Virus TI, Wavestation SR and FS1r and feel that I have access to all the digital sounds I need. The Jupiter 8 and Prophet 5 have gone.....purely because I've made a conscious decision to pursue contemporary styles. I also felt I had too much money tied up in these pieces.....and repeated attempts to find a reliable repair tech failed.

What im trying to do now is find one last synth that is going to compliment what I already own. It must be a new analog......and mono preferably in order to cover bass, drones, leads and FX duties. Of all the synths I've researched the contenders appear to be the Voyager Old School, DSI Evolver Keyboard, Little Phatty and Studio Electronics SE-1X. My Budget is £1500 ($3000). Im aware this would allow me to consider the Andromeda and Prophet '08.....but Ive aleady got enough polysynths.....and suspect Id still yearn for a dedicated analog mono even if I bought them.

All the mono synths mentioned above have pro's and con's.....and i really cant make up my mind. My main concerns are as follows: I hear people say the SE-1X has sluggish envelopes......just how slow we talking, Juno 60 type slow? I need really punchy/hard bass.....and I get the impression the SE excels at the slower, warmer and rounder type sounds. The Evolver has digital conversion....and is possibly over complicated for the type of analog sounds I want. Im not convinced the CEM3396 chip puts out great bass either. The Little Phatty lacks the sort of immediate hands on control i require....and doesnt have a noise generator......but it does sound very nice......

Then lastly I come to the Voyager Old School. This is the one which takes up most of my thinking time......as it contains all the features I need in a hard wired analog mono.....and its a Moog.....Ive always felt that owning one is the Holy Grail. I keep telling myself.....'look, just buy the OS.....if you dont like it.....then there probably isnt anything else outthere that would satisfy me'. I think given my mentality....If I were to buy any of the other synths.....I might always be left thinking.....why didnt I just grit my teeth and get the Moog. Before I can make my decision.....I really need to hear from some Voyager owners who have some experience of old and new analogs. Im not interested in hearing the Model D V's Vyager debate.....it means absolutely nothing to me. Im more interested to know if the OS sounds like a ballsy, fat, warm analog in its own right......and comparable in quality (sound and build) to other classic analogs. Im not looking for a 70's clone.....but something which sounds as good but in a more modern/fresh way.

Whatever your opinions might be.....please share them. I should also note.....that although my budget is quite high.....if I can get away with spendiing less....then Id like to (need some studio outboard aswell)

Thanks

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

DocT

Post by DocT » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:51 pm

DIGITAL SCREAMS

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:58 pm

Hi DoC

This is your Old School? What are you using to control it? Filter etc etc....

Impressive....

What are your thoughts on the OS?

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

DocT

Post by DocT » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:15 pm

DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:Hi DoC

This is your Old School?
Unfortunately not. I have it only for 2 or 3 weeks for a review. UPS will pick it up again on Monday :cry:
What are you using to control it? Filter etc etc....
I played it partly via MIDI-CV inteface to correct my bad timing. Modulations were however applied exactly as if played from the internal keyboard: modwheel, velocity, aftertouch and some knob movements during playing.
Impressive....

What are your thoughts on the OS?
Fun, fun, fun ;)

Moog synths seem to be the only instruments where the old-school philosophy works. Somehow they always sound good regardless of knob positions on the panel. ;)

Last edited by DocT on Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:19 pm

DocT wrote:Unfortunately not. I have it only for 2 or 3 weeks for a review. UPS will pick it up again on Monday
What, you're just going to let them take it away from you without a fight?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:59 pm

I've owned both a Voyager and an LP. Both are top notch analog monosynths...you won't be dissappointed with either. I wouldn't bother with the SE-1x, since it seems like you want a Moog. The evolver will not satisfy your craving for a Moog as well. To me it comes down to if you want a knob per function or do you want patch saving abilities.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:18 pm

Get a Minimoog, or get the best Pro-One you can find and get someone to restore it to new condition but with a wooden case. If I had three grand to spend on a mono I'd totally go the Uber-Pro One.

DocT

Post by DocT » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:09 pm

I personally would rather have the Voyager than a vintage Mini.

Velocity sensitivity alone adds so much to expressiveness and playability.

steveman

Post by steveman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:48 pm

Future Retro XS?

From the demos I've heard, very good & modern sounding, I like the fact it's semi modular too. Admittedly there are no patches, but with the onboard MIDI and the ability to control lots of other things via the patch points, using a MIDI CV converter for these could probably get some very whacked out modulations going.

Only downside is their complete absence in the UK.

steveman

Post by steveman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:49 pm

Future Retro XS?

From the demos I've heard, very good & modern sounding, I like the fact it's semi modular too. Admittedly there are no patches, but with the onboard MIDI and the ability to control lots of other things via the patch points, using a MIDI CV converter for these could probably get some very whacked out modulations going.

DIGITAL SCREAMS

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:20 pm

Hi Steveman

Very good suggestion about the XS......I looked into that earlier today...but as you say.....theyre not in the UK yet. Im not sure about price....but if $1200 is anything to go by then that would seem quite reasonable.

However, now that Turnkey have gone....im really getting f**k off (excuse my language) with the other retailers raising their prices. Moog stuff has gone up £100.......Virus Ti has gone from £1499 to £1709 etc etc........coincidental dont you think?

At first I thought it might be to do with exchange rates...but then DSI Prophet 08 keyboard has gone down from £1499 to £1100. Great value on the '08 right now.....and im seriosuly thinking of buying one now......despite the fact I said in my original post I didnt want another polysynth.

Can anyone here comment on the Prophet '08's bass capabilities in contrast to that of the Voyager and Andromeda?

Answers to that question my clinch it for me.

Thanks all for your time and efforts.....hopefully others users may find some value in this thread.

DS

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:06 pm

The Moog LP is becoming pretty affordable on the second hand market as of late. I've seen quite a few Stages floating around for £500-600 on SOS alone.

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:38 pm

steveman wrote:Future Retro XS?

Has anybody seen any XS' in europe yet? The supposed 'dealer' in the UK has stopped answering my emails...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:13 am

DocT wrote:I personally would rather have the Voyager than a vintage Mini.

Velocity sensitivity alone adds so much to expressiveness and playability.
Me too, if only for the reliability aspect and the more flexible filters.

bakeded
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bakeded » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:16 am

:-#
Last edited by bakeded on Tue May 12, 2009 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.