Death of Creamware, Rise of the Plugiator

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
playstation

Post by playstation » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:56 am

Where is a source to buy the xtra plugins?
I only see the unit itself for sale at sweetwater.com.

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:13 am

celebutante wrote: Hope this helps, and hope I don't come off like a used car salesman. The Plugiator isn't the end all synth of the universe, but for what it is, it's a unique product and a great value.

mds
celebutante - being a Prophet owner - how would you rate the creamware Pro12 emulation?

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:41 am

playstation: you buy the extra plugs straight from Use-Audio. The Plug-In Manager app that comes with the unit allows you to go online, purchase and download them (similar to the way the iTunes app works). The extra plugs are a really good deal... they're only $39 each.

Swan: I have to qualify this by saying that I'm REALLY picky... the Prophet is my favorite polysynth of all time... I don't even like the way the Prophet 08 sounds very much.

With that said, the emulation is pretty good, but there's something about the way the real Prophet filters sound that I've never heard duplicated (I honestly think it has to do with gain staging and a slight distortion, sort of like a Minimoog). To put it in better perspective, I think it's better than Native Instrument's Pro-53, but maybe a hair behind Arturia's Prophet-V (which is the closest P-5 emulation I've heard).

Also keep in mind that real Prophets go for around $2g's these days, only play five notes and are delicate beasts!

As I mentioned in my review, for me, the real zinger in the bunch is the Prodyssey, which really captures the nastiness of the real thing... and I have one at my studio (not mine!).

mds
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

fingerbib2000

Post by fingerbib2000 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:24 am

you all noticed the Xite 1 right?!?

http://www.sonic-core.net/en/home/xite.html

Scope platform in an outboard box, 10x the power of the old sharcs... :shock:

very excited about this...
Sequential Circuits Pro-8, Rolands TB-303, MKS-80, JX-8P, SH-09. Waldorfs Microwave XT, Pulse. Yamahas RS7000, A4000, DX-200. 2 x Cheetah MS-6. Novations Supernova 1 & 2. Korg ER-1. Creamware Pulsar 2.

gd

Post by gd » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:39 pm

wow 2700 Eur though, I like the Plugiator for $450 US behind door number 1. :)
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...

severen

Post by severen » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:41 pm

celebutante wrote: Hair and Severen... the whole concept of the Plugiator is that you do all your sound programming with the computer, then you can use it standalone for live gigs. All sound generation and I/O is on the Plugiator itself, the computer is used ONLY for programming and purchasing/installing new synth models and patch backup/loading. FYI, the Plugiator can internally store 100 patches for EACH model.
stand-alone? wow :lol:
At first I think that is another hardware dsp synth. (like NI Kore)
I'll have to buy this

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:06 pm

I guess that is the big draw. When you play a prophet-5 or odyssey live, you don't program the patches anyway. So might aswell have them all in the same box and switch presets.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:26 pm

I've been wanting something that can emulate my Moog Source for the times when I need to get all Rick Wakeman and play two synth lines at once. I've used a Micron for that before (not too shabby) but now use the laptop with MiniMoogV. My laptop really can't handle the Arturia stuff for more than monosynthing or chords on simple patches, so something like the Plugiator seems right up my alley.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:40 pm

Laptop is shaky to bring on stage anyway. Total drag if (when) it crashes and you have to wait for reboot. It's happened to me.
It may NEVER crash when you have it at home. But on stage *BAM*

Murphy's law. The bastard.

SickMonkey

Post by SickMonkey » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:04 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:I'm going to say this outloud. Real quiet-like so I don't upset the natives.

Devices like the Plugiator will be the future of soft-synthesis/virtual analog technology.
I wish it was kind of the other way around. Dedicated controllers for specific softsynths. Like the Korg MS-20 thingy. Processing power is fairly abundant (and will only become more so). Nice interfaces aren't.

OMNI26

Post by OMNI26 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:50 am

Yesterday, audiomidi.com was blowing out B-stock Plugiators for $199 plus free shipping, and I snagged one.....anyone else here manage to get one? I think they sold out pretty quick.

I'm looking forward to getting this, especially for the Minimax synth that it comes with. I won't take my real Mini to gigs, and although I have used G-Force Minimonsta running on my laptop at a few shows, I never felt comfortable taking the computer out with me.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:07 am

SickMonkey wrote:
redchapterjubilee wrote:I'm going to say this outloud. Real quiet-like so I don't upset the natives.

Devices like the Plugiator will be the future of soft-synthesis/virtual analog technology.
I wish it was kind of the other way around. Dedicated controllers for specific softsynths. Like the Korg MS-20 thingy. Processing power is fairly abundant (and will only become more so). Nice interfaces aren't.
Yeah I agree.

The thing is that nice interfaces require lots of expensive encoders and sliders but you can put a lot of DSP power in a little box for next to nothing these days, even though people have heaps of power on their computers to use now. You can't pirate something that runs on proprietary hardware though, which is the important thing for the manufacturers.

Does anyone else think the CME UF 50 with the plugiator expansion would be a great board for gigging? I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:23 pm

Wow this looks really interesting. Im looking for some good s**t to use together with my EMX since the internal EMX sounds aint that good.

stillearning

Post by stillearning » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:30 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: Does anyone else think the CME UF 50 with the plugiator expansion would be a great board for gigging? I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.
Yep. I'm looking into this. Only spent a few minutes researching this AM (will do more later), but if I'm underatanding it correctly, the ASX version is an expansion board of sorts for the CME controller line, in which the various plug-ins can be loaded. Then it can be controlled from either the front panel controllers on the keyboard, or via USB to a computer GUI?

Sounds ideal for emulating numerous synths live at a reasonable price.
As always, kindly allow for the possibility I have no idea what I'm talking about.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:10 am

OMNI26 wrote:Yesterday, audiomidi.com was blowing out B-stock Plugiators for $199 plus free shipping, and I snagged one.....anyone else here manage to get one? I think they sold out pretty quick.
I checked early this morning after I saw your post. They are all gone. I would've pulled the trigger if one was left. Still, now I have to decide between a newer, slightly more powerful laptop or the Plugiator. Laptop more capable and can do other things besides be a synthesizer. Plugiator more portable and possibly less fragile. Luckily I don't have $400 right now.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS