Different Quality sound to a Juno 106

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hollow Earth

Different Quality sound to a Juno 106

Post by Hollow Earth » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:26 pm

i have a juno 106 and was wondering if people could advise me of a synth that has a *very* different sonic flavour.

i was thinking i might get another synth eventually and was after something complementary, but different. fr'instance other roland machines of the same kind of era i feel have a similar sort of sonic fingerprint.

any help steering me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:37 pm

Uh, DX7? ARP Odyssey? Waldorf Microwave? How big a difference do you want?
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:54 pm

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:07 pm

no offence, but this is like asking "I have a Honda Accord. I might buy another car, is there anything that's not like an Accord?" I can think of 200 synths that are not like a Juno 106. Maybe give us a little more to work with such as price range, style of music, anything...

Hollow Earth

Post by Hollow Earth » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:21 pm

clubbedtodeath wrote:Image
Ha! Thank the lord I've already broken all my internet bones!

-

More information!

a) The Juno is sort of cold and precise sounding- so something with more warmth perhaps? I've seen people recommend the KORG Polysix for its warmth....or.....

b) I'm not in the market for spending huge amounts of money. Just over $500 (taking a cue from the synth finder app)

c) Perhaps something with different or complementary functionality? I dunno, an arpegiator?

d) Style of music. Mainly to work with sampled beats and sampled rhythms.

Really any suggestions are welcome, I'm just going to use it as a springboard to check out some options.

Pretty please :D

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:55 pm

I"ve never used a polysix, but based on it's features, it's pretty similar to the Juno.

Does it need to be polyphonic? Maybe a monosynth would be different enough. I really like my MG-1, and it's nothing like the Juno, but sounds great with it. No arpeggiator, though.

Novation K-Station? Has an arp. and matches sound with the juno. Doesn't sound particularly warm though.
so what do I put down here now?

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:25 am

Yeah, i thought that was pretty funny. A poly six has to be one of the closest to a Juno out there.

I would recommend an Oberheim Matrix-6/1000, Prophet-600 before a Polysix if he's trying to be different.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:39 am

About the only things the Juno-106 and Polysix have in common is that they're single-oscillator 6 voice synths with 61-key keyboards.

So, from a programming perspective, they're quite similar. You'll pick up the programming on a Polysix in no time, having used a Juno.

But the sound is quite distinct. The Polysix has VCOs, which have some natural drift (and warmth) that you won't get with DCOs. Although they have some drift, the Polysix's VCOs do stay in tune (at least mine did). The Polysix has a GREAT unison mode (something where the Juno falls flat on its face). Chord memory, hold function, arpeggiator, and more effects (phaser and ensemble in addition to the chorus). And the filters... oh those lovely SSM filters. Plus, you have 3 separate LFOs in the Polysix. It may not be immediately apparent looking at the front panel, but the PWM has its own LFO, as does the effects section. So, you can do a patch with fast vibrato and slow PWM on the Polysix, but not on a Juno.

About the only things you don't get on the P6 is portamento, noise generator and MIDI. The latter can be added with a retrofit.
Last edited by Synthaholic on Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:41 am

if the poster at least gave a hint if he is looking for another, albeit different character, ANALOG synth, or he is looking for just a different synth (as in digital, alternate snythesis types..)

if the former is the case, i would for starters, suggest an analogue that is not a DCO machine (like 106), something with 2 oscillators per voice, and everything that comes with it; osc sync, crossmod etc.. for example, Prophet 600. or for more twice more dineros, Oberheim OB-8. one of the last big polysynths that still has a very nice price, and hasn't skyrocketed into unobtainium.

for the latter, a Waldorf XT or Blofeld will probably get you in a nother universe most quickly (and affordably). or Virus Snow perhaps.. dunno.. so many choices..

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:08 am

The mentioning of chord memory brings something tomind. Can you get the PolySix to play just a fifth in Unison mode?
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:57 am

MrFrodo wrote:The mentioning of chord memory brings something tomind. Can you get the PolySix to play just a fifth in Unison mode?
Unison mode on the P6 is all 6 voices playing the same note (with some detuning to make it fat). So, fifths, thirds, yadda yadda aren't possible in unison mode. But you could store a fifth in the chord memory and then play fifths with 1 finger, but that isn't unison mode (no detuning, only as many voices as notes in the chord you stored, etc.)
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:10 am

That's kind of what I meant. Thank you, Synthaholic.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:17 am

There's the Poly-61 too. It sounds VERY different, even though it has similar setup. It always sounds distorted and gritty. Like everything is always overloaded.

sacredcow

Post by sacredcow » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:40 am

A casio VZ-10m.
Not remotely similar
Think about a desktop evolver too. That's what's i'd go for.
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:09 am

I got a polysix after a Juno-106 and never regretted it. In fact, if I could only keep one I'd take the polysix over synths that cost me over five and ten times as much. I just love that filter, plus the arpeggiator, chord memory and lfo's
What happens at fondue stays at fondue!