Fantastic synthesists never mentioned on the VSE Pt.1

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Re:

Post by vcs3 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:50 pm

Mooger5 wrote: A dutch trio called Nova. One of the musicians was Rob Papen, father of the Albino VSTi. Two albums, easy tunes with spacey arrangements. Akin to the lighter side of TD. Terranova was all Korg (Polysix, Monopoly and all the MS range, KR-55 and a Soundmaster DM). Quo Vadis was all Roland (all the Jups and the Promars, all the black SHs and a TR-808).
The Aurora single was nr.1 in Europe circa 1981.
Finally some one talks about Nova =D>
I had the tapes not the originals, they where quiet popular here in Portugal.

where can I get a digital version of vinyl albums.

Thanks Mooger5

masstronaut

Re: Fantastic synthesists never mentioned on the VSE Pt.1

Post by masstronaut » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:16 am

Laurie Spiegel

Lovely. I think the video is on Laurie's own youtube channel.
There's also a really good interview there conducted at Bell Labs in 1984 and featuring a brief introduction from Max Matthews.

Hi Laurie. :love4:

secularatom
Gear: Moog Prodigy, Moog Voyager Old School, Roland Juno 60, Microkorg, Korg Rhythm 55B, Mattel Synsonic Drum Machine, various Eurorack Modules
Band: Eternal Turtle

Post by secularatom » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:57 pm

how about Joey Karam of The Locust. i know they are probably not everyone's cup of tea here but he has some of the quickest fingers i have seen. he really is an inspiration for me and he has a nice set up, really interesting to see live. his soundscapes are great.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
It's turtles-turtles-turtles all the way down!

cowatf

Post by cowatf » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:39 am

Add N to (X)! Avant Hard is one of my favourite electronic albums of all time..I'm not sure if they really knew exactly what they were doing but it was an extremely punk aesthetic and raw approach to synthesis. Tracks like 'Revenge of The Black Regent' and 'Machine is Bored With Love' are masterpieces, I really wish there were more bands out there who had this right combination of confidence, adventure and disregard. Their next best record is 'On the Wires of Our Nerves', with 'Nevermind', a dark and bizarre drum and bass/electro/idm track, being one of the standouts...

Basically they're amazing, the last album was the weakest but go back further and you won't be disappointed. This is 21st century electronic music, casting off the rules and guidelines set by seminal groups like Kraftwerk, taking influences from everything from surf to jungle...there's amazing stuff there. They were renowned for having little regard for their synths and often destroyed whatever synths they had on stage if they refused to do their bidding..I think Barry went through three Synthi AKSs...Also worth a mention is 'Little Black Rocks In The Sun' which was released as a hexagonal vinyl (in tribute to the Andromeda Strain OST, which is also great)

Personally I thought that they never got the recognition they deserved, and as a result they imploded and retired from music..

Here are some videos..

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

ps - Also worth a very honourable mention is 'Prey', which was a band Barry 7 formed with Cherrystones, renowned crate digger and ultimate head..unfortunately it was never released but the few that have been lucky enough to hear it (I have heard it) have been suitably blown away..they did release one 12" which is really worth checking out..

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:36 pm

cowatf wrote:ps - Also worth a very honourable mention is 'Prey', which was a band Barry 7 formed with Cherrystones, renowned crate digger and ultimate head..unfortunately it was never released but the few that have been lucky enough to hear it (I have heard it) have been suitably blown away..they did release one 12" which is really worth checking out..
Saw them doing the 'Prey' thing live and it looked like Barry was using a Roland VS-880 HD recorder or something similar, along with cigarettes. Maybe someone took him aside and told him to stop destroying Synthis. ;)

cowatf

Post by cowatf » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:15 pm

I know he started using a Roland sampler that played samples from his 2600...basically as far as I know after Add N to (X) split up money got tight and ended up selling all their gear to Dean from I Monster...shame really..but when needs must..

gordwiebe
Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Post by gordwiebe » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:18 am

I think Ann from the band stole a lot of their gear when she went crazy. Crazy enough to record her "large number" album... good, but doesn't have the excitement that the three in add n to x had together.
I'm glad to see somebody finally talking about this band - I've tried to get discussions going about them before but it's always been a thread killer.

Winstontaneous
Gear: Alesis Ion
Casio MT-65
Propellerheads Reason 4
VAZ Modular

Post by Winstontaneous » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:42 am

Hi, all. This is my first post here @ VSE. I'm glad I finally found a dedicated synthesis forum--and the reviews/history section is great!

I loved Dave Stewart's work on Bruford's "One of A Kind" and "Gradually Going Tornado". NOT the Eurhythmics guy, but another Brit who also wrote some good books about reading & writing music notation. There's this one tune--"h**l's Bells" with 3 or 4 overdubbed MiniMoog tracks--that's just phenomenal.

I always liked Billy Joel's :lol: [-X :oops: occasional use of synths on songs like "Root Beer Rag," "The Entertainer," and the majestic solo in "Angry Young Man".

cowatf

Post by cowatf » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:10 am

I owe a lot to Add N to (X), they changed my ideas about what electronic music should or can sound like, I think the fact that there's been no-one else that comes close to sounding as raw and exciting as they do is a testament to that. It's just a shame they gave up on making music, but I think they're getting the itch now; Ann was putting on an electronic music festival somewhere in England but it unfortunately got cancelled...Barry is running the Mute Irregulars label and is soon to release an outer space concept record he did with two guys from The Horrors under Spider and The Flies, it's no Add N to X but it's similarly raw and primitive..worth checking out..

www.myspace.com/spiderandtheflies

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:14 pm

Winstontaneous wrote:I loved Dave Stewart's work on Bruford's "One of A Kind" and "Gradually Going Tornado". NOT the Eurhythmics guy, but another Brit who also wrote some good books about reading & writing music notation. There's this one tune--"h**l's Bells" with 3 or 4 overdubbed MiniMoog tracks--that's just phenomenal.
Yeah this is the Dave Stewart of Hatfield & The North / Egg et al and who had a couple of hits in 1981 with synth heavy covers of 'What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted' & 'It's My Party & I'll Cry If I Want To' (No.1!), as I'm sure you are aware. Both worth checking out the Top Of The Pops performances of. He writes for Sound On Sound as well I think?

(big keytar innit)
(nice arpeggiated Steve Reich-style bit in the middle eight)

Prophet 10? Polymoog? :)

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:33 pm

Screamers
Eva Braun -
Vertigo -

Silver Apples
A Pox On You -

Chrome
Abstract Nympho -

R L Burman
Theme From The Burning Train -
(Can anyone have a stab at what might be doing the bass sequence that comes in near the start?)

Implog
Holland Tunnel Dive -
Last edited by masstronaut on Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cowatf

Post by cowatf » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:05 pm

Screamers are amazing! I've seen Silver Apples a couple of times now, I think he's really enjoying his resurgence..

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:05 pm

I know they are mentioned on the 'classic movie clips' thread but since then this live footage of Goblin turned up on youtube. The keyboardist is Claudio Simonetti.

Goblin Medley (Suspiria Theme, Profondo Rosso, Roller, Tenebre...)

Profondo Rosso

Edit: Props to this guy doing a version of Profondo Rosso too! Nice ESQ-1 (I think) action and visually the out-of-focus close up and pull back on the sequencer light during the break is a classic 70s touch!

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:53 pm

cowatf wrote:I owe a lot to Add N to (X), they changed my ideas about what electronic music should or can sound like, I think the fact that there's been no-one else that comes close to sounding as raw and exciting as they do is a testament to that. It's just a shame they gave up on making music, but I think they're getting the itch now; Ann was putting on an electronic music festival somewhere in England but it unfortunately got cancelled...Barry is running the Mute Irregulars label and is soon to release an outer space concept record he did with two guys from The Horrors under Spider and The Flies, it's no Add N to X but it's similarly raw and primitive..worth checking out..

http://www.myspace.com/spiderandtheflies
Barry 7 was doing a little thing with Korg DS-10 on the radio last night.

masstronaut

Re:

Post by masstronaut » Thu May 27, 2010 12:25 am

tim gueguen wrote:I saw a comment someplace that the Alpha 77 supposedly came from a firm in Zurich run by a friend of Schmidt's, which someone apparently conflated into him playing something called a Zurich. As to what the Alpha 77 actually was I've never seen a completely clear description. Some make it sound like a collection of filters, ring modulators and so on, while others imply its a rhythm machine. However I suspect any drum machine type sounds on Can recordings were from a Farfisa rhythm box. Much of what you hear keyswise on Can records is actually Farfisa Professional Duo organ and Professional Piano. Apparently the first "proper" synthesizer on a Can record was a Polymoog he used on the last album before they broke up. The two Farfisas were the core of his live setup as late as 1977 as you can see in the following vid from German TV.
How nice to be able to reply to this with an update two years later.

I came across this article by Ian MacDonald on Can in the NME from 1974 and it transpires that Irmin Schmidt was pals with one Serge Tcherepnin, he of Serge Modular renown, of course. Not only that but it was at Tcherepnin's house that Schmidt first met soon-to-be original Can vocalist Malcolm Mooney.

http://beatpatrol.wordpress.com/2009/11 ... sten-1974/