Fantastic synthesists never mentioned on the VSE Pt.1

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
asohn
Gear: Moog Voyager, SH-101, Analogue Solutions Vostok, MKS-80, Korg Polysix, Juno 60, Roland JX8P, Moog MG-1, x0xb0x, SCI Sixtrak
Band: All Hazards

Re: Fantastic synthesists never mentioned on the VSE Pt.1

Post by asohn » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:53 pm

How about Depeche Mode? Or Wendy Carlos? Or what about Jean Jacques-Perry?

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:06 am

Yeah, no-one ever mentions Depeche bloody Mode around here. :P

Plumpudding
Band: Dwarfland

Post by Plumpudding » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:36 pm

cowatf wrote:Add N to (X) ... Here are some videos..

[youtube][/youtube]

ps - Also worth a very honourable mention is 'Prey', which was a band Barry 7 formed with Cherrystones, renowned crate digger and ultimate head..unfortunately it was never released but the few that have been lucky enough to hear it (I have heard it) have been suitably blown away..they did release one 12" which is really worth checking out..
Thank you! Got all their albums after listening to Barry 7's Contraption while reading your post. Very nice stuff!
"Music is the space between the notes." - Jean Claude Van Damme

Instantinopel

Dark Side of My Mother - Slate Rock Up and Well Caustic Compound

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:06 pm

That would be a cue to mention the incredible Francois De Roubaix.

Not sure if cowatf mentioned it before but with reference to the above Add N to (X) song have a listen to the clip of Xavier A La Maison D'arret (main Theme) here:

Also go find the amazing soundtrack he did for a Jacques Cousteau film called L'Antarctique. It was never used at the time (too far out...) but has since been reissued.

Tantalising clip of a documentary that is hopefully still in production.

Hmm, maybe I mentioned all this before but still...

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:12 pm

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:32 pm

François de Roubaix is one of my favourite composers. He was some kind of a one-man orchestra. He used a lot of synths for his compositions. His music really has a really nice bittersweet and retro-futuristic touch. Sadly, he died at 36 while diving in deep sea (in 1975).

He wrote a wonderful soundtrack soundtrack for a Cousteau movie about Antarctica, but the music was refused by Cousteau - for being too adventurous, as Cousteau was, ironically.

Here's an other good track I found on YT:

Voodoo Ray
Gear:
Akai
Waldorf
Roland
Yamaha

Post by Voodoo Ray » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:38 am

Kenny Larkin

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:29 pm

Yeah why not!

Dark Comedy - War of the Worlds

I reckon they probably have been mentioned many times but how about the more synthy / jazzy Berlin school sides of Carl Craig and Derrick May.

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:18 pm

Anyone mention Mrs Fiend from Alien Sex Fiend yet? On things liek the 12inch of 'Dead and Buried' she's inspirational.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

101 Force

Post by 101 Force » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:22 am

I hope no one minds that I've decided to resurrect this thread. I've been introduced to a lot of new music as a result of this thread, so I thought I'd add a contribution, who is a relatively new artist no less. I'm sure many of you have heard of Danger before, but I haven't seen his work mentioned here on VSE as of yet.

Gear for sale here (Updated: 06/27/2011).

japan

Post by japan » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:58 am

Franco Battiato. (I like his 'Fetus' album specially)
Suzzane Ciani ( Not sure if she was mentioned before )
Frank Fiedler (Popol Vuh)
Edgar Froese (Tangerine Dream)
José Vicente Asuar - Gustavo Becerra-Schmidt (south americans).

Asuar connected a computer to a Moog synthesizer in 1973, and made some great albums (IMHO). Then, he created his own synth with an integrated computer, the COMDASUAR ( his own personal lab ), and it was very interesting. He made the first electronic album in Latin America. He began to experiment with electronic music in the late 50's. He founded the first electronic music laboratory in Latin America.

And the Synthesists of Plone! ( I love "For Begginer Piano")
"the simple life is no longer there..."

Naive Teen Idol
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland Jupiter 6, Studio Electronics MIDIMini, DSI Evolver, Linn LM-2 Linndrum, Roland TR-77, Roland GR-300, Novation Remote SL 25

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:10 am

He's been mentioned a handful of times here at VSE, but Mort Garson was pretty fantastic as synthesists go. He's well-known for his record Zodiac Cosmic Sounds, but I'm a huge fan of his two "occult Moog" records, Lucifer Black Mass and (particularly) Ataraxia: The Unexplained (Electronic Musical Impressions of the Occult) from 1975.

This is one of my favorites -- it even has a funky beat!

I'm also really into his record Plantasia, from 1976, which is this very gentle, very delicate record -- that apparently Mort wrote to sooth plants with his Moog. A lot of the record sounds like the bridge on Stevie Wonder's "Superwoman/Where Were You When I Needed You" -- which is some of my favorite synthesizer music of all time anyway, so that's fine with me.

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:47 pm

Andy Jenkinson brother of squarepusher aka Ceephax Acid Crew.Very dope synthesists and I think may be a member here on VSE.From the early 90's and beyond a great modern Synthesist not talked about

Last edited by computron on Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Living the Electro Life

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:15 pm

Naive Teen Idol wrote:He's been mentioned a handful of times here at VSE, but Mort Garson was pretty fantastic as synthesists go. He's well-known for his record Zodiac Cosmic Sounds, but I'm a huge fan of his two "occult Moog" records, Lucifer Black Mass and (particularly) Ataraxia: The Unexplained (Electronic Musical Impressions of the Occult) from 1975.

This is one of my favorites -- it even has a funky beat!

I'm also really into his record Plantasia, from 1976, which is this very gentle, very delicate record -- that apparently Mort wrote to sooth plants with his Moog. A lot of the record sounds like the bridge on Stevie Wonder's "Superwoman/Where Were You When I Needed You" -- which is some of my favorite synthesizer music of all time anyway, so that's fine with me.

I just found a copy of The Unexplained in vinil in a shop and I bought it for $3.00 USD and I was amazed, very good record. Hope to listen more Mort in the future
mis psiquicos y yo
In electronic music, sequencers are as important as synths, they all modify your composition and playing