Quality 8x8 midi interface?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Gregor Samsa
Gear: Too much (not enough).

Quality 8x8 midi interface?

Post by Gregor Samsa » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:16 am

Anybody have any experience with a decent 8x8 midi interface? I have an M-audio midisport 4x4 that has been relatively stable despite many bad reviews I've read, and the 8x8 from them gets horrific reviews also so I'm nervous about buying that one. The Motu's get bad reviews also, and I'm not sure if the Unitors even work with pc. I have an AMT8 but it doesn't pass the clock from the pc for some reason (the 4x4 does this fine, and I've tried it without the 4x4 connected also, still no dice).

I really need an 8x8 that will be stable with windows xp, and transmit clock.

WDW

Post by WDW » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:22 am

I run five Midisport 8x8s via USB without problems.

WD
WD Whaley Music - W2Studios
Composer | Songwriter | Synthesist
http://www.facebook.com/wdwhaleymusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/w2studios

WDW

Post by WDW » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:27 am

In fact, it was the same configuration as my current setup, except I had a Windows machine...

WD

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:54 am

Do you actually need 8 separate ins and outs from your computer?

If not...

A used motu timepiece (not usb) goes for dirt cheap and is a super flexible midi router... (route any port/channel to any port/channel - mute data on any port etc) you dont even need to connect it to your computer... I tend to use it stand alone mostly anyway.

I find it to be rock solid as well.

I run one midi out from my computer into the motu and simply route it to the multiple devices thru the motu to wherever... Keys in, goto devices and/or back the computer... again, whatever you need... its awesome.

This sort of thing could expand your 4x4 by miles for little money....

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:35 am

I'm running a MOTU MIDI express 8x8 USB with WIN XP SP2. Its worked flawlessly for 1.5 years.

Beware of a little driver hunting though...
JP-8080, Virus B, TG-77, JD-990, D-550, XV-5080, CS1x, Matrix 1000, SE-1, SuperNova II Pro Rack, MKS-50, EMX-1, TX-802, Nord Rack 2X, Korg RADIAS

crufty

Post by crufty » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:37 pm

WDW, nice schematic. How do you connect your synths via audio?

Reason why I ask, right now audio is the missing piece--I'm getting really tired of 2 channels at a time. Does the motu 828's take care of them all? How many simultaneous channels of audio are you realistically able to record via firewire?

I'd like to get 32 channels in @ 24 bit / 96khz, but could live with 16 if the price was right.

WDW

Post by WDW » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:52 pm

Sorry, no diagram yet for the audio. :D

Previously, I had six Alesis 12-channel mixers and an Allen & Heath 16-channel mixer feed into the two 828s. It worked fine, except there were no direct connections to the 828s from the instruments themselves.

Now I three Neutrik patchbays, which feed the 828s directly from the instruments. Each 828 has eight analogue inputs; so, a total of sixteen mono channels can be run simultaneously. Also, there are optical inputs, which I sometimes use with those few instruments that I have that offer that option.

I've never tested the maximum realistic number of channels to be simultaneously recorded. I typically record one or two (i.e., a single instrument) at a time, but I have done four and six, when in a hurry.

WD

redroomrecordings
Gear: Virus TI . Virus C . Blofeld . Maschine
Band: Distorted Memory / CAKEBUILDER

Post by redroomrecordings » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:00 pm

I'd highly recommend a MOTU midi express 128. I've used it for over a year with not one single problem. The reason I have it is because I switched to a Universal Binary MAC and this was the only one I could find that worked. It is a smart one to get as most of the others do not work on newer macs and it is highly plausible that you will one day switch to mac for music.

also you can daisy chain these together if 8 is one day not enough.

Gregor Samsa
Gear: Too much (not enough).

Post by Gregor Samsa » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:46 pm

yeah, but does it work well on pc? That's what I'm using right now, and I don't want to suffer through something that isn't designed to work well with pc. I suspect that's the issue with the emagic, or that it's just faulty. I don't want to spend a ton of dough and find out it doesn't match up well with my setup.

And is there a significant difference b/w the 128 and the xt?

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:56 pm

I've got the MOTU Express 128 hooked up to the PC. The only issue I have is that occasionally, Ableton doesn't see all the 8 inputs. Shut down Live, unplug/replug the USB cord, restart Live, issue solved.

They're basically the only choice left. M-Audio ceased producing them, and to Steinberg and Apple, the Midex and AMT8 are dead. Yes, they'll work, but forget future support.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:40 pm

aredj wrote:Do you actually need 8 separate ins and outs from your computer?

If not...

A used motu timepiece (not usb) goes for dirt cheap and is a super flexible midi router... (route any port/channel to any port/channel - mute data on any port etc) you dont even need to connect it to your computer... I tend to use it stand alone mostly anyway.

I run one midi out from my computer into the motu and simply route it to the multiple devices thru the motu to wherever... Keys in, goto devices and/or back the computer... again, whatever you need... its awesome.

that sound like a very good option for the price, what version do you have the first or II?
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:40 pm

aredj wrote:Do you actually need 8 separate ins and outs from your computer?

If not...

that sound like a very good option for the price, what version do you have the first or II?
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

t.o.t.s.

Post by t.o.t.s. » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:07 am

I've got an M-Audio 8X8 on my PC running XP SP3 and it's been GOLD. I've had it for about 6 months now and no issues whatsoever... prior to this I had several M-Audio 2X2 and while they also worked well.. I just wanted to stream line a bit. Really though... it's been awesome. It seems to me the people posting a lot of negative reviews on devices like these simply don't have a real strong grasp on what it is they want and are doing.
totsland.net / chvad.com / 8bitaudio.net / darksonus.com / invisiblerecords.com
Moog LP, SCI Six-Trak, Roland RS09, Crumar Performer, PAIA Fatman, Korg EX-8000, Waldorf µwaveXTK, Novation K-Station, XioSynth, KS4, Alesis Ion, Korg ER-1, Etherwave, MidiNES