Has Circuit Bending Gone Too Far?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Has Circuit Bending Gone Too Far?

Post by JSRockit » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:15 pm

:lol:

WTF? Post examples of the most over the top circuit bent synths you can find... not cool ones, but outrageously stupid ones...

I saw this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/SLAPSTIX-CIRCUIT-BE ... dZViewItem
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:49 pm

Based on the topic title, I was going to (albeit prematurely) have a rant and say.... How can circuit bending go too far! as long as the user gets a usuable sound out of the modification then its perfectly legitimate to do it no matter how far they went to do it!

Now I won't as I see exactly what you mean................ thats too far! ha

incidently I have bent a load of stupid toys to use but I wouldn't dress them all up for aesthetics.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:52 pm

I don't know $850 for a Speak 'N' Spell with action-figure limbs glued to it, and a fairly incomprehensible description of what the thing actual does (he seems to be circuit-bending the English language with his all-caps, completely arbitrary punctuation style), seems like a bargain to me.

I mean, he uses the words "amazing", "rare", and "high art" right there in the description; clearly you've stumbled across the next Andy Warhol here.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:35 pm

:shock:

that's some hardcore drug use right there. but he's got two FS1Rs, go figure!

sensorium

Post by sensorium » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:42 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:I don't know $850 for a Speak 'N' Spell with action-figure limbs glued to it

The price is for all three. "Trio"

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:48 pm

sensorium wrote:
pricklyrobot wrote:I don't know $850 for a Speak 'N' Spell with action-figure limbs glued to it

The price is for all three. "Trio"
Still, typing in all caps is unforgivably obnoxious.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

MarsHottentot
Gear: DK Synergy I, EMU Emax II, Alesis HR-16b bent, Roland RS 202, Kawai E600A, Ensoniq Mirage DSK-8, Roland S-550, Roland MSQ700, Roland MV-8000.
Band: Uncanny Valley

Post by MarsHottentot » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:51 pm

I think the art of bending can never go too far, but the prices most definitely have.

I realize that these things are a lot of work and are unquestionably awesome in many cases, but $550 for a bent SK-1 is absurd.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-circuit-bent ... dZViewItem

The thing that I think a lot of folks are forgetting, or simply didn't realize to begin with, is that once you've bent something - the thing is running on borrowed time. It will pop and give you that burnt stink of depression at some point, most likely sooner than later.

I'd say 200 dollars should be the cap for the bending of your garden variety table hooter. Unless my reasoning is flawed and someone can explain.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:38 am

MarsHottentot wrote:
The thing that I think a lot of folks are forgetting, or simply didn't realize to begin with, is that once you've bent something - the thing is running on borrowed time. It will pop and give you that burnt stink of depression at some point, most likely sooner than later.
Care to back that up, or is it based purely on assumption?

You do realize that all things run on borrowed time, if you believe in the concept of borrowed time. May as well drive your car off the bridge sooner rather than later.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Paolo Di Nicolantonio

Post by Paolo Di Nicolantonio » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:45 am

I've never liked circuit-bending, and don't support it. Why destroy any perfectly cool, vintage little toy to obtain noises that you can get - without effort - from any software audio editor - starting with any waveform and adding plug-in fx ad libitum? In the end, it's going to sound very similar.
Visit my synthesizer/music website
www.synthmania.com

c1t1zen

Post by c1t1zen » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:16 am

There's a bit of thrill seeking with most circuit bending especially if you're not familiar with a circuit. It's how far you can take it without totally killing it. Of course you could create the same sonic madness with VST plugin but it's a physical beast once you add knobs and contacts, jack, etc. At one point I bought all the TR series Rolands looking to bend or mod them...but that was to far for me. I sold them all and kept the 808. :)

MarsHottentot
Gear: DK Synergy I, EMU Emax II, Alesis HR-16b bent, Roland RS 202, Kawai E600A, Ensoniq Mirage DSK-8, Roland S-550, Roland MSQ700, Roland MV-8000.

Post by MarsHottentot » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:08 am

tallowwaters wrote:
MarsHottentot wrote:
Care to back that up, or is it based purely on assumption?

You do realize that all things run on borrowed time, if you believe in the concept of borrowed time. May as well drive your car off the bridge sooner rather than later.
Well, it's in Ghazala's book and he stresses that you record the instruments because you never know when the thing is gonna go.

Now before you go on about 'what does he know' etc. I realize that just because he caught the horse doesn't mean he learned how to ride it.

That said, I don't know what you do for a living, but for me 550 - 880 dollars is a mind blowing amount of money for something that may only work for a year. Now I don't know that that's a hard fast rule, hence why I asked for someone to give their view. I noticed that very few benders offer a warranty.

Again, I'm not anti-bending - I LOVE IT, I just think until we know FOR SURE what the lifespan is for these things, we should be a bit more modest in the pricing department.

So, has anyone had a boutique style, high dollar bent instrument for five years or more?

I'm so poor I don't have a car. I suppose I could ride my bike off a bridge...
Last edited by MarsHottentot on Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:38 am

Paolo Di Nicolantonio wrote:I've never liked circuit-bending, and don't support it. Why destroy any perfectly cool, vintage little toy to obtain noises that you can get - without effort - from any software audio editor - starting with any waveform and adding plug-in fx ad libitum? In the end, it's going to sound very similar.
This is quite true, but the actual act of bending stuff is pretty fun. I don't get the people who spend big bucks on something pre-bent by someone who does hundreds of them and sells them on ebay.

Circuit bending used to be about messing around with something yourself and coming up with something unique, not researching which was the 'best' and then paying money for something just like what a whole lot of other people have. Reminds me of when someone posted that Casio should re-release the SK-1 but pre-bent. Hilarious. :lol:

breitt

Post by breitt » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:16 am

Circuit-bent gear is never too outrageous if it is in capable hands. Watch this early Dan Deacon video to see how a genius does it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eMb_kh_ ... re=related

MarsHottentot

Post by MarsHottentot » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:34 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Reminds me of when someone posted that Casio should re-release the SK-1 but pre-bent. Hilarious. :lol:
h**l, if it were modular, stable, and had features like this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hzfCLCCDCq0

I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

But I agree that a good part of the fun is digging around yourself and the joy of discovery, but I've got some great stuff from some guys that really know what they're doing. I guess once you can accurately predict the result of a 'bend' and reproduce it every time you're 'modding' more than 'bending'.

Is the act of 'bending' about delving into the unknown? Is this the dividing line that separates it from 'modding'?

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:52 am

I too have benn thinking how the h**l people justify spending that sort of money on circuit bent stuff. I can understand that the actual, physical act of opening a casio and do some work on it is appealing to people, but I really fail to see how one would rather spend 500$ on a bent sk-1, when you could get a DEVO or an EMX or similar that will totally destroy the bent sk-1 soundwise, and it will do a million more things. if you are insanely rich and feel you have tried everything, but nothing sounds f**k up enough, sure, bend something... but buying a pre-bent synth? Never understood this one