MIDI -> CV Interface

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

What MIDI -> CV Interface are you using with your analog synths?

Doepfer MCV24
3%
Encore Expressionist
6%
Frostwave Quad
1%
JoMoX MIDIFOUR
No votes
Kenton Pro Solo
24%
Kenton Pro 4/Pro 2000
18%
Phil Rees Little MCV
1%
Roland MPU-101
1%
Other
46%

Total votes: 103

elphcoil

Post by elphcoil » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:41 am

i use 2 of the future retro mobius boxes, a revolution or my pulse+. i reach for the mobius first.
MV-8000, juno-106, vp-330, mks-7, mks-30, mc-202, pro-one, cs-5, dx-7, 770, k2000rs, pulse+, k-station rack, evolver, chroma polaris, filterbank2, drumfire, revolution, mobius, 565T, srv-3030d, rnc-1773, 1591a, vc1-q, 266xl, kaosspad2, and alienator.

Overgear
Gear: AX-73, S3000, MFC42, K5000R, K4r, K1, Nord 3R, MKS-50, Juno-106, JP-8000, CS-10, CS-15, TVS-1, PP SEM(x2), Rogue, Source, Pro-One, P-600, Mopho

Post by Overgear » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:17 am

nathanscribe wrote:Can't you reconfigure these SEMs with jumpers inside, or are they soldered? I notice the schematic gives details on different envelope/gate/trig connections.
Yeah, soldered. It's funny, the other SEM is multi-trigger - which makes it even harder to layer them or make identical patches. Not a big deal, though. I use them separate most of the time.

replicalex
Gear: SCI Pro One / Korg MonoPoly / Yamaha CS15 / TX802 / Roland: Sh101 / SH2 / Jupiter 6 / Juno 1 / AS: Semblance / MiniBrute / DRM1 mk2 / Jomox xBase09

Post by replicalex » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:00 pm

Just waiting on a pro2000 to be delivered.
It looks like the business.

I had a PAIA MIDI2CV made up recently, but it just does not cut it. :roll:
It can only run from one MIDI channel at a time, whereas the pro2000 can assign ANY midi channel to ANY of the outs. Perfect. 8)

aeon

Post by aeon » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:13 pm

syncretism wrote:This doesn't add much to the discussion, but the JoMoX MIDIFour "never saw the light of day", in Michaelis' words.
Thanks for that info. When I posted the poll, I included everything I could find with a quick google.
syncretism wrote:My SH2's babysitter uses a Studio Electronics ATC-1 with no complaints. I rather wish SE hadn't deprecated that functionality in the X series.
Agreed. IIRC, they used the control lines for the added distortion functionality. In that light, I think it a worthy swap.

Congrats on the SH-2. It is a corker, IMHO.

cheers,
Ian

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:08 pm

aeon wrote: Congrats on the SH-2. It is a corker, IMHO.

cheers,
Ian
It was the closest I could get the SH-5 on my budget at the time. When I go back to the States, I plan to use a JKJ CV-5, which I read about on Pulver's site some time ago.

More information about the CV-5 can be found here.
Yours,
Niall.

wvcttr
Gear: Dem blinkin' lights sure look pur-dee.

Post by wvcttr » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:49 am

I have a Pulse+ and I used to use its MIDI to CV/Gate converter to run a CS-5. I don't use it anymore because I sold the CS-5... it is a very nice converter and one of the reasons why I'm reluctant to sell the Pulse+.

I keep the MIDI hardware sequencers separate from the CV hardware sequencers. No software MIDI sequencers here, so no need for any MIDI -> CV/Gate stuff.

To have everything run together, I have a devilfish with MIDI and I bought the Sync Lead from Robin so that I could sync my other roland gear (202. 606. other 303s). Sync Lead? There's a picture and info on it here: http://www.firstpr.com.au/rwi/dfish/sync-lead/

If you're wondering, I could only get the Sync Lead to work with the devilfish. When disconnected, the other sync outs don't function. If you have a devilfish with MIDI, it is a great way to hook this up with other 303s, 606s, etc. without getting a dedicated MIDI->DIN SYNC box.
[/url]
+-wvCttr]

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Post by piRoN » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:26 am

Kenton Pro-Solo MkII for me, great little box with more parameters than some synths to play with. The extra LFO has been a lifesaver in the past too!
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

syncretism

Re: MIDI -> CV Interface

Post by syncretism » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:37 pm

Well, I guess I changed my plans with the recent purchase of an Anyware SEMtex XL, which ships with an integrated Papareil Synth Labs MCV-876.
Yours,
Niall.

synthshaw

Post by synthshaw » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:55 pm

kenton pro solo mk2

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:18 pm

Bass Station... it works allright with my Prodigy.
Monkey business since 2007!

slowalan
Gear: Roland VSynth ASys and Elby DIY modular, Alesis Andromeda Motif 7 DSI Evolver Juno 6 Absynth XPhrase Omnisphere Uilleann Pipes Anglo Concertina
Band: Hail Victor Noir

Post by slowalan » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:40 am

I use a Frostwave Quad, got it from the designer for a good price, and it has never failed me...
Red inside, same as Queen Victoria. Getting redder by the minute.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:53 am

I use a Kenton Pro-2000 MkII, it's an all-in-one box, as i need Sync-24 for the 303 & 606 (using a din-sync splitter cable), plus it has 2 pairs of cv and gate outs + 6 aux outputs, midi in, midi out, midi thru, and a clock out for an analogue drum machine. Easy to use and does the job.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:42 pm

i just ordered one of these babies, based on various recommendations, was originaly looking for expressionist, but couldn't source one on time:

hope its fast, and well-made. hate flimsy stuff when i need to take em on the road.
aeon wrote:
severen wrote:how about converter in synth?
Waldorf Pulse, Novation Bass Station and etc...
I dunno, how about it? I mentioned this in the orignal post, and asked people about it. So what do you have to say?
its great. very FAST and accurate midi-cv converter. you can also route some stuff from the Pulse engine to the CV outs, like arpeggiator, and iirc lfo. i played with friend's Pulse+ hooked up to my SH-2... whooaaa.. joy to no end.. sounded like a 303 that had serious testosterone infusion.

what's best is, when u use midi-cv capabilities this receives midi on its own midi channel. Pulse sound still receives on its original midi channel. so you can have both simultaneously. if u like Pulse sound, its a non-brainer to buy the plus version. at the time i didnt, but who knows.. maybe one day i pick it up.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:41 pm

Another vote for the Kenton Pro Solo, a very good bit of kit. Also got the Groove M2CV, it works but the interface display is binary LEDs so not the most friendly.

My BassStation Rack has CV/Gate outs which work independently of the synth so that makes it an amazing bargain. Space saving too, one less PSU and box to put somewhere. Prices are going up though, (saw some nincompoop pay 295 UKP for a BS keyboard the other day). The Novation has a lot of options which in theory should make it work with loads of synths but if I remember correctly it didn't work well with my SH09 but worked with my SH101.

aeon

Post by aeon » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:58 pm

clusterchord wrote:i just ordered one of these babies, based on various recommendations, was originaly looking for expressionist, but couldn't source one on time:

Nice. Even though I have the Encore Expressionist, I would still like a Kenton for the fingered portamento - it means so much for expressive basslines with an analog mono.
clusterchord wrote:(the Pulse Plus)...its great. very FAST and accurate midi-cv converter. you can also route some stuff from the Pulse engine to the CV outs, like arpeggiator, and iirc lfo. i played with friend's Pulse+ hooked up to my SH-2... whooaaa.. joy to no end.. sounded like a 303 that had serious testosterone infusion.

what's best is, when u use midi-cv capabilities this receives midi on its own midi channel. Pulse sound still receives on its original midi channel. so you can have both simultaneously. if u like Pulse sound, its a non-brainer to buy the plus version. at the time i didnt, but who knows.. maybe one day i pick it up.
Thanks a lot for this info, Tom. I have a Pulse, but not the Plus version. That functionality sounds sweet. As it regards the Pulse sound, I alternate between loving it and being on the fence about it. It has a modern tonal character as contrasted with e.g., 70s discrete analog. It is fat and hard for bass, but not warm. Great for some styles of techno, Detroit and otherwise. :D

cheers,
Ian