MIDI -> CV Interface

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

What MIDI -> CV Interface are you using with your analog synths?

Doepfer MCV24
3%
Encore Expressionist
6%
Frostwave Quad
1%
JoMoX MIDIFOUR
No votes
Kenton Pro Solo
24%
Kenton Pro 4/Pro 2000
18%
Phil Rees Little MCV
1%
Roland MPU-101
1%
Other
46%

Total votes: 103

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:31 am

I'm using the RS-140 module in my Analogue Systems modular system.
It can be used for all synths 1V/Octave synths, including the 1.02v/octave moog synths like the Minimoog. Has internal LFO, 5 control outputs, 3 trigger outputs, 2 CV outputs and a big menu system to control everything. The triggers can emulate various ancient synths oddities like the Moog S-trig. So if I ever did get a Minimoog (not likely due to price), I could MIDI it totally up.

Easy peasy to set for instance CTRL1 to Aftertouch and guide it out to any given module via patch cable. The internal LFO is used as modwheel LFO so you don't have to bother with spending an LFO in the modular for that.

aeon

Post by aeon » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:19 am

REwire wrote:I love the Kentons for one big reason: Auto-Portamento. It turns legato playing into portamento so I can get 303 type slides based on playing.
Yeah, I sometimes think of getting a single Kenton Pro-Solo for my Roland SH-2 for just this functionality when doing basslines. The Encore Expressionist does portamento, two types even, but not legato, which is so musical to me.

Right now my Expressionist controls a Roland SH-2, Roland RS-505 filter, CV ins on Moogerfoogers, and a couple of ins on an Ebbe und Flut.

cheers,
Ian

Overgear
Gear: AX-73, S3000, MFC42, K5000R, K4r, K1, Nord 3R, MKS-50, Juno-106, JP-8000, CS-10, CS-15, TVS-1, PP SEM(x2), Rogue, Source, Pro-One, P-600, Mopho

Post by Overgear » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:29 am

I just wish the portamento on the Expressionist was quicker. There could be another 10 increments available between 1 and off.

I find the Kentons are a little better. Of course, usually, neither is close to the range you can get from the synth.

JackAstro

Post by JackAstro » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:13 pm

I have the Dotcom converter. It is minimally sufficient, but I wish I had something with more features.

I would get the MOTM-650 if it ever comes back in stock. Also, some of the Flame stuff looks cool.

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:43 pm

Pro Solo mkII here - I've only had it a few days and don't have anything to compare it with, but it works, is easy to set up, and does what it does without you knowing it's there - bargain too, I'm very pleased with it.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:26 am

Kenton Pro-2 - cheap, discontinued but the channels need to be calibrated so often. The construction is also a little flimsy but at half the price of a new Pro-Solo you can't complain.

sineSurfer
Gear: X50, MS2000, ESX1, EMX1, BassStation, Proteus/1, Electric drumkit +DM5, x0xb0x 393, theremin, mbSid stereo, MB6582, MB808, MBSEQ, Fatman.
Band: Hakken

Post by sineSurfer » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:20 am

x0xb0x CV/GATE to SH2 here.
Riding the wave

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:00 am

The Pro Solo is very musical, well worth the price. I like that the portamento is the same a the CS-5+10 that I use it with. The onboard LFO and control CV output I would consider essential, not extras. Being able to add velocity control (or whatever else you like) to an old monosynth makes it a better instrument. And playing a monosynth in a 76 note weighted keyboard is a wonderful experience, far better than the rubbish that comes attached to the synth itself.
Henfield wrote:No MIDI to CV interface used, as I keep my CV side separate from my MIDI side (at least for note information).
8)

severen

Post by severen » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:47 pm

how about converter in synth?
Waldorf Pulse, Novation Bass Station and etc...

cbmuir

Post by cbmuir » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:47 pm

Buchla 225e:

-Chris

aeon

Post by aeon » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:11 am

severen wrote:how about converter in synth?
Waldorf Pulse, Novation Bass Station and etc...
I dunno, how about it? I mentioned this in the orignal post, and asked people about it. So what do you have to say?

cheers,
Ian

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:52 am

This doesn't add much to the discussion, but the JoMoX MIDIFour "never saw the light of day", in Michaelis' words.

I used the Signal Arts MAPS for MIDI-CV during the brief period that I had it and CV gear, as well. If the forthcoming Tetra version can be navigated with less menu-diving {highly unlikely, since the display will apparently be the same}, I'll likely own it again and enjoy the CV conversion and sequencing as an ancillary benefit.

My SH2's babysitter uses a Studio Electronics ATC-1 with no complaints. I rather wish SE hadn't deprecated that functionality in the X series.
Yours,
Niall.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:30 pm

One thing I've noticed recently about these things is the compatibility with different trigger types. For example, the Kenton Pro-2 has two sockets for gate on each of its channels, one for "V-trig" (positive voltage for note on, ground for note off) and one for "S-trig" (open circuit for off, short to ground for on). Interestingly, neither of these really conforms to the spec for Yamaha's CS-series monosynths.

The Yamaha CS monos use around 3V for note off, -7V for note on - or at least, that's what they transmit from their trig outputs. The manual states 3 to 15 for off inputs, and 0 to -10 for on inputs. It's only this last week or so I've noticed my CS-5 is not triggering reliably from a CV interface - mostly, I just play it. The CS-15 works fine from interfaces though.

After emailing Kenton, they suggested I take the CS-5 to a tech. Fair enough, in may years they never had an issue with that themselves. Becuase my 5 works just fine when triggered from my other CS, I decided to add a "CS-trig" socket to the Kenton instead for true compatibility.

Now my Pro-2 has a Hz/V and V/Oct output for CV, and V-trig, S-trig, and a proper CS-trig for Gate, and it all works perfectly.

No digital camera at the moment to illustrate the guts, sadly.

Thought someone might be interested though. :D

Overgear
Gear: AX-73, S3000, MFC42, K5000R, K4r, K1, Nord 3R, MKS-50, Juno-106, JP-8000, CS-10, CS-15, TVS-1, PP SEM(x2), Rogue, Source, Pro-One, P-600, Mopho

Post by Overgear » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:28 pm

Nice, nathanscribe! I had a similar experience with my TVS. It's one reason why I love the Aux channels on the Pro-2000mkII.

My TVS is still close to the stock CV configuration. Only one SEM has CV/Gate jacks. Env1 seems to be wired single trigger. No matter how I would set the gate on either the Kenton or Expressionists dedicated "Gate" jacks, It only single triggered. Since the Aux jacks on the Kenton can be used as gates and are fully configurable over a range of -12.6 and +12.6, they work great for weird gates/trigs. Normally, the Aux channels only respond multi-trigger. The TVS still only single triggered if I set it to the usual 5v trig and above. But if I set the gate to about 1.5v, it will multi-trigger. Reliably.

I also found the Aux/Gate function to be useful as a trigger for the step sequencer. The Clock Out on the Kenton isn't strong enough to trigger the sequencer. It needs 8-12v. I could do it with a midi synced LFO but using the gate I can trigger the steps in real time or re-sequence them in Sonar. This allows me to use triplet or swing on the S/H or, h**l, just use the 8 steps without restrictions on step timing or duration.

I wish the gates were (more)configurable on the Expressionist. :x

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:48 pm

Overgear wrote:Nice, nathanscribe! I had a similar experience with my TVS. It's one reason why I love the Aux channels on the Pro-2000mkII.
Thanks! Didn't know that about the Pro2K, might have to check one out.
My TVS is still close to the stock CV configuration.
Can't you reconfigure these SEMs with jumpers inside, or are they soldered? I notice the schematic gives details on different envelope/gate/trig connections.