MIDI -> CV Interface

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

What MIDI -> CV Interface are you using with your analog synths?

Doepfer MCV24
3%
Encore Expressionist
6%
Frostwave Quad
1%
JoMoX MIDIFOUR
No votes
Kenton Pro Solo
24%
Kenton Pro 4/Pro 2000
18%
Phil Rees Little MCV
1%
Roland MPU-101
1%
Other
46%

Total votes: 103

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Re: MIDI -> CV Interface

Post by cornutt » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:28 pm

Currently using a JKJ CV-5 with both the modular and the EML 101. (The CV-5 is one of the few interfaces that can be scaled to the EML 1.2V/octave standard.) Got an MOTM-650 on order; once it comes in, the CV-5 will be dedicated to the EML.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:09 pm

aeon wrote:Nice. Even though I have the Encore Expressionist, I would still like a Kenton for the fingered portamento - it means so much for expressive basslines with an analog mono.
indeed. and also the turning point for me was lack of dedicated CLOCK output on Expressionist. you can DIY the DIN24 out to give u clock but that was not viable for me. in addition, i can divide/multiply the CLOCK out resolution to whatever i may need - and i got rather diverse selection of gear that will be driven by RS7000 via Kenton - DSX, ARP sequnecer, etc... so i needed something w maximum flexibility in this department.
aeon wrote: I have a Pulse .. It is fat and hard for bass, but not warm. Great for some styles of techno, Detroit and otherwise. :D
i liked it for that kind of thing, fast n hard bass. xtremely usable. its deep bass sounds kinda "eq-ed" not naturally big as a moog or sh2, and as such actually works better in these styles. but, when i went up the keyboard to higher regions .. my hair went up in the air. very thin n sml harsh sound. so un-analog like.

i would just like to add, on topic, i had (or still ahve somewhere in the closet) the Behringer.. um i mean Doepfer MCV something single channel CV/GATE, and it is indeed to slowest, most innacurate converter ive used. forgot the exact mnodel name.. ymmv, but i'd steer clear.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

aeon

Post by aeon » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:30 pm

clusterchord wrote:
aeon wrote:Nice. Even though I have the Encore Expressionist, I would still like a Kenton for the fingered portamento - it means so much for expressive basslines with an analog mono.
indeed. and also the turning point for me was lack of dedicated CLOCK output on Expressionist. you can DIY the DIN24 out to give u clock but that was not viable for me. in addition, i can divide/multiply the CLOCK out resolution to whatever i may need - and i got rather diverse selection of gear that will be driven by RS7000 via Kenton - DSX, ARP sequnecer, etc... so i needed something w maximum flexibility in this department.
Makes total sense. When I look at the big picture of wanting to drive the SH-2, Ebbe und Flut, modular VCOs, and a few Moogerfoogers, the combo of the Encore and the Kenton seems to make the most sense. Alas, that will have to wait.
clusterchord wrote:
aeon wrote: I have a Pulse .. It is fat and hard for bass, but not warm. Great for some styles of techno, Detroit and otherwise. :D
i liked it for that kind of thing, fast n hard bass. xtremely usable. its deep bass sounds kinda "eq-ed" not naturally big as a moog or sh2, and as such actually works better in these styles. but, when i went up the keyboard to higher regions .. my hair went up in the air. very thin n sml harsh sound. so un-analog like.
Agreed. That said, it excels in the higher regions when it comes to analog percussives.

Again, thanks for the tip on the Pulse Plus - and the Doepfer. :P

cheers,
Ian

string56

Post by string56 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:19 am

Does anyone have a manual for the Groove Electronics M2CV? I'd really appreciate a copy by email.
Thanks!
(jefblac@gmail.com)

enomis

Post by enomis » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:25 pm

I use the MOTU Volta plugin with Ableton Live running through the outputs of a MOTU Traveler to control my SCI Pro One and Moog Voyager OS. I love it! Extremely flexible and easy to navigate.
Cwejman S1 MK2/Moog Voyager OS/SCI Pro One/Korg MS-10/Roland JX3-P/Clavia Nord Lead 2X, Wave/ Yamaha TX81Z/DX11, S90/Voce V5/Rhodes Suitcase 88/Hohner Clavinet, Pianet, Melodica/MFB Tanzbär/Elektron Octatrack, Machinedrum

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:36 pm

We should run a new poll on this, considering how many people chose "other" in the original poll. (Plus the fact that it included one product that never actually existed...) And, Volta/Silent Way didn't exist at the time the original was posted.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Phenom

Post by Phenom » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:13 pm

Just another thumbs up for the kenton Pro Solo Mk2, a great little box, and as a converter for my SH2 and 808 is amazing value. I used a little plug and play Phillip Rees thing in the early days, and then a Bassstation Rack, which was good value too, especially if you're fond of the synth itself (I thought it was OK, not mind-blowing), but for people considering the BSR as a cheap option over the Pro Solo2 I would say I'm much happier with the fab portamento options (auto legato, yummm), the all important scaling and tuning, and the extra aux out and LFO. I guess this stuff is far more important to me than an extra monosynth voice. Also bearing in mind most old monosynths' CV/Gate sockets bypass the synth's own portamento (I think the SH101 is a rare exception to this) the Kenton stuff doubles the effectiveness of your synth.

Just another quick note to say, it's been noted on this forum by myself and others that the Pro Solo Mk2 is a massive step up from the Mk1 because it can DINSync a drum machine at the same time as doing it CV/Gate duties, where the Mk1 is an either/or affair. Just like to say that although the user interface is the same on the Mk1 and 2, the implimentation of those 3 little buttons is far better on the Mk2, proper up and down increments as opposed to the fiddly "going into reverse thing" on the Mk1. I have a Pro DCB Mk1 as well, and the interface though fine, just seems a wee bit daft compared to the PS Mk2 sitting beside it. Looking at the Pro DCB Mk3 it seems they've sorted this out, tho I'm not sure what the other improvments on the Mk3 are (any insights here???).

I'm a massive fan of Kenton stuff, and I think if I was starting from scratch I'd buy the Pro2000 with the DCB option fitted, but that said, I'm really happy with what I've got just now.

kayvon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by kayvon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:43 pm

Surely the Moog MP-201 with the V2.0 software is one of the ones to beat now.

If it lives up to the features it offers it's quite a beast of a controller. Four midi-CV converters in one with envelopes, lfos and lag times etc. It's not cheap but when you think of what you're actually getting it actually works out pretty good.

Hair

Post by Hair » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:25 pm

Not the most comprehensive interface but I could surely do worse than the 4-channel Midi to CV/Gate on my Syntecno TeeBee MkIII, I think I picked mine up for around $350 and it's a really f**k good (albeit sequencerless) 303-clone, but I'd rather have the deep MIDI to CV functionality over a sequencer anyway, especially when x0xb0xes are around what, twice the price?