jx3p DCO question

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
voltageHead

jx3p DCO question

Post by voltageHead » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:51 am

Is there anything that i should look out for in a JX3P
such as problems like on the juno-106 with voice chips.
I was thinking about buying a used JX3P.
Also I know that I should buy a programmer for it.
but is there anything else that I should watch for.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: jx3p DCO question

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:46 am

voltageHead wrote:Is there anything that i should look out for in a JX3P
such as problems like on the juno-106 with voice chips.
I was thinking about buying a used JX3P.
Also I know that I should buy a programmer for it.
but is there anything else that I should watch for.
I have had 3 JX-3Ps in the last 8 years, and the only problem I have observed was that the presets on one of the ones I have owned were slightly different than they should have been... the octaves weren't right, or the timbres were slightly different. It had no bearing on programming, though. It was strange. The current one I have is perfect though.
I haven't heard of any chip failure associated with them, and I've never had a problem with them like that.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

voltageHead

Post by voltageHead » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:50 am

the JX3P is sounding good from what you have said.
I have a beat up juno106 that I a going to sell for parts or repair.
I should get rid of my 106 it's just a matter of time until i get rid of it.
I also should do somemore looking at it's features and stuff.

mute

Post by mute » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:22 am

i've had a jx3p since 1999, no problems
i've had a mks30 since 2005 that i've had to replace 4 chips in, which uses the same ic's as the juno 106.

nuff said ;]

try to find the latter jx3p if u get one, it has a newer OS (which lets you use note velocity via midi) and an added midi thru jack.

RichShan
Gear: Yamaha SY85, Roland JX3p, Novation Supernova II keys, Roland MKS70, Roland JV1080, Emu ESi-32, G5 & logic

Post by RichShan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:01 am

mute wrote:i've had a jx3p since 1999, no problems
i've had a mks30 since 2005 that i've had to replace 4 chips in, which uses the same ic's as the juno 106.

nuff said ;]

try to find the latter jx3p if u get one, it has a newer OS (which lets you use note velocity via midi) and an added midi thru jack.
Interesting- didn't know that about the MKS30. I was thinking of swapping my 3p for the module. But I love the tiny step sequencer too much.

I've had my JX3p for about 10 years and it has no "health" issues. I have the PG200 programmer. Although you can program very easily without it (there are no deep menus to trawl through) it does make tweaking a lot simpler.

Some fat bass on this baby!

mute

Post by mute » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:50 am

RichShan wrote:
mute wrote:i've had a jx3p since 1999, no problems

nuff said ;]

Interesting- didn't know that about the MKS30. I was thinking of swapping my 3p for the module. But I love the tiny step sequencer too much.

I've had my JX3p for about 10 years and it has no "health" issues. I have the PG200 programmer. Although you can program very easily without it (there are no deep menus to trawl through) it does make tweaking a lot simpler.

Some fat bass on this baby!
there's alot of stuff on the jx3p that you can't do on the mks30... and the sequencer is to die for (not many polyphonic step sequencers out there!).. specially if u have something to sync it with. other things u can't do is the crazy hold/transpose sounds u can come up with (similar to memory chords on korgs, etc) and a few other things.

i agree you don't need the pg200, and i didnt have one for years.. but after i got one i wouldn't want to not have it :) realtime access to all the params is such a strong thing to have. without it i can understand how ppl would prefer a 106, but if u have it.. i dont think theres an argument.

though its obvious very similar, the mks30 btw DOES sound different from the JX3P... i'll have to do some sound comparisons sometime. its not nearly as gritty and the filter response @ high values acts differently... the drop off on the jx3p is much quicker.. in that aspect i actually like the mks30's filter a bit more... so it ends up a tie :)