Favorite Sounds

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:41 am

I second these comments...
Jexus: "korg ms2000 - for sounds that only ms2000 can make". I like the mod sequence stuff, and pads even tho polyphony is a bit limited pads are insane.
Shaft9000:"supernova2kb : anything arpeggio, big warm pads, solina emu...". Gawd I love the pads on this thing.
JP-6 - arpeggios...especially Europa mod. And sound fx.
Juno 106 bass - I can't get bass from other synths to sound as good to me, except maybe xpander.
Elektron MD - analog machine drum sounds that are out of this world.
ARP 2600 - beast of the mono leads.

crufty

Post by crufty » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:10 am

FR - 777

i love it when i can dial in a soft liquid patch, slightly detuning the 2 oscs and modulating them against each other. W/resonance, overdrive and accent are dialed in just so, it squelches very pleasantly.
fr 777 sweetness.m4a - 22.90MB

Albion

Post by Albion » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:28 am

My Quasimidi Sirus has this ability to create some very creepy lo-fi string sounds. It's a very dark sounding synth which I like.
Novation Supernova II Kb, Quasimidi Sirius, Kurzweil K2000, and a Waldorf Q (32 voice)

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:28 am

JD-990: pads galore and analog emulation w/ the Vintage Expansion

Nova: nice ambient pads, solid basses, sweeps, and sounds for its arpeggiator

R3: it's what I use for vocoding and I've managed to get some really piercing, dissonant sound f/x with it. It's also fun to fiddle with the DWGS waves. Does bells nicely, too.

VFXsd: just got it, but I like the grungy strings and I'm looking forward to replacing almost all of the factory sets with my own sounds as the vast majority are useless to me. However, the "mini" lead (preset) is really good put through the pitch/detune settings on my MPX-100.

ItalianStallion81

Post by ItalianStallion81 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:44 am

Hear the piano sounds of the Yamaha DX7s in this two-part series "The Shape of Things That Hum: Yamaha DX7"

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpHerYcvQP0

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pouNwylTOAc

The piano patch is my favorite. I like the cheesy patches it does, too... that's what made the DX7 series the DX7.

~Ben (ItalianStallion81)