Yesterday was Keyboard Nirvana

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
VanSonik

Yesterday was Keyboard Nirvana

Post by VanSonik » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:16 am

Yesterday, I was out and about picking up a few synths I just bought.
First, picked up a MKS-70 w/PG800. Was pretty excited getting this
and come to find out the person selling was a Synth Tech.
He had an unbelievable collection of keys he was working on
including a CS80 I've never seen one in person. He opened it up
to show the guts. Too bad it was in need of repair would have loved to play it.
Went on to pick up a SY77, Roland R5, and S5000 and find this seller was a concert pianist. With a fabulous Steinway Model D. I thought I died and went to heaven. I was still fantasizing about the CS80 so I played Chariots of Fire on the D, wow!
Hardware: Akai S5000, Hammond B-3, Roland MKS-80 w/mpg-80, Yamaha S-80, FS1r

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:03 am

It's always fun to buy a synth from a friendly seller with a great collection of synths. I also experienced some DCO haven experience with the MKS-70 and PG when I first got it. Even until now.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

VanSonik

Post by VanSonik » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:20 am

Yes, been playing the mks-70 all night. Very expressive, warm and dare I say phat. The few programming quirks are definately offset by the sound.
These things should be selling for way more than they are currently!

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:06 pm

I once bought some gear from a guy that was really into those synth wind controller things. He happened to have an early Nile Steiner prototype synthesizer but it wasn't working... He knows Nile personally and some of his wind controllers were custom made for him.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:34 pm

Nice story! I wish I knew someone like that around here. (I guess that synth geek would be me. ;) )

Nice synths you picked up too. The MKS-70 is a treat. I fixed up a JX-8P last winter and I really didn't want to part with it, especially considering how cheap I got it for.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

aeon

Post by aeon » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:34 am

I once (1996?) bought some rack furniture from a guy local to me. I had to go and pick it up.

I pulled up to the quite impressive house (in a very nice area) and rang the bell. A man answered and I said I was there to pick up the rack. He replied that I was at the guest house and that the main house was down and around a curve in the drive, behind some trees. :shock: :oops:

To make a long story short, when I was invited in and shown to the studio, I saw some legendary keys in person for the very first time - Waldorf Wave (beautiful), Yamaha CS80, Roland Jupiter-8, Rhodes Chroma, Oberheim 4-Voice, OB-X, and Xpander, Moog Memorymoog Plus and Minimoog - this all alongside a FAT Protools TDM system, Neve sidecar, and B&W monitors. :P

The sad thing is that 90% of it was not hooked up. :(

sigh,
Ian

VanSonik

Post by VanSonik » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:59 am

Hi Ian,
Great story at least your guys keys were working. Although I just found a
great synth tech in the process. He told me he's repaired about a dozen CS80's and a Korg PS3300 that was actually shipped back and forth from England.
:shock:
Regards,
Kevin

Arpnutt
Gear: Minimoog Voyager, Virus TI, M3, Radias, PC88, SD1, Mirage, ASR-10, TX81z, Alesis D4, Procussion, JV1010, Arturia V, Omnisphere, Odyssey, Solus, OB8

Post by Arpnutt » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:53 pm

I knew I guy that collected and sold as well. He did some work on my OB-8. I was looking at this big thing covered up with a tarp. He said go take a look. It was an ARP 2500! It was in perfect working condition. He said he was shipping it to the UK for someone. I was able to play it. It is an experience I will never forget. Anyway, this guy borrowed my Korg VC-10 vocoder and then disappeared with it. Oh well. Never really liked it anyway.