Got myself a ARP 2600..

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:35 am

hfinn wrote: Behold, the Roland 184 4CV keyboard. Designed for use with the Roland System 100, although you can use it with most anything. I have a friend who has one connected to a full system 700.
The 184 was one modular polyphonic keyboard, there were a few others, notably the Emu modulars. AG is correct though, as they were digitally scanned to get polyphonic voices. I would suspect the Roland 184 with it's auto arpeggio function and selectable assign mode, would also be digitally scaned to get the CV outs as well. The Emu design was licenced to Oberheim and used in thier 4 voice and Sequential for the P5.

I seem to remember one other modular polyphonic with CV outs for 8 voices with velocity, was the Polyfusion 2058. But who would have such an obscure controller? :wink:

Getting back to the 2600, I missed the boat when they were going for $2600.00 US a while back. I kept bidding just under 2 bills for the ones that looked nice but were not fully functional. Plus I was looking for a black and orange 2600. Those days are gone. I guess my black and orange Oddy with the CAE4035 filter will have to do for now. :(

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:45 am

What about the Korg PS-3100? Does that use digital tracking as well? The others in the PS series have enough VCO's to support the polyphony, but the 3100 only has 12 VCO's and 48 note polyphony.

I've always had a thing for the orange and black colored ARP's, despite their "inferior" sound. I don't think I've seen an orange and black 2600 on ebay, though. But I will admit, the MK1 version of the Odyssey looks very nice as well.
Well fffff.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:50 am

Hossinfeffa wrote:What about the Korg PS-3100? Does that use digital tracking as well? The others in the PS series have enough VCO's to support the polyphony, but the 3100 only has 12 VCO's and 48 note polyphony.
Well I have had mine apart enough times. There is one contact per key, so 48 wires going to the voice boards. Although it is a mechanical switch for every key, by strict deffinition it is either on or off ( 0 or 1 ) and is the very basis of what defines binary. Not sure if you would call that analog, same as a light switch in your house. But it is not digitally scaning the keyboard. The PS-3300 uses the same triggering scheme as well.
Hossinfeffa wrote:I've always had a thing for the orange and black colored ARP's, despite their "inferior" sound. I don't think I've seen an orange and black 2600 on ebay, though. But I will admit, the MK1 version of the Odyssey looks very nice as well.
Yep, I upgraded my Oddy Mk3 with the CAE4035 filter. Mostly changed the way the bass sounded. Before with the 4075, bass was not the Arps strongest character. But with that 4035 filter dropped in the Oddy had some balls on the low end. I was planing on doing the same mod if I found a black/orange 2600. Ditch the 4072 and drop in the CMS4012. I was also planing on using the Oddy as the CV controller for the 2600. The Mk3 Oddy makes an excellent CV controller, as the three octave keys can be transposed up/down by two octaves, and the PPC pads are summed with the CV out for pitch bends and vibrato. I could never really master the Arp pitch knob with the dead spot at center.
Here is a repost of my modded Oddy with the PPC pads demonstrating the duo-phonic keyboard.
Arp Odyssey PPC duophonic with 4035

Now that I think about it the Arp 2500 had a 4 voice analog controller.
Had a split with two hi/low priority sections on it. Had reverse keys on the lower two octaves. Not conventional, but 4 voice none the less.

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:29 am

I have not heard any 'vca thumping'.....

What's all that about...?
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:40 am

CZ Rider wrote:
Hossinfeffa wrote:What about the Korg PS-3100? Does that use digital tracking as well? The others in the PS series have enough VCO's to support the polyphony, but the 3100 only has 12 VCO's and 48 note polyphony.
Well I have had mine apart enough times. There is one contact per key, so 48 wires going to the voice boards. Although it is a mechanical switch for every key, by strict deffinition it is either on or off ( 0 or 1 ) and is the very basis of what defines binary. Not sure if you would call that analog, same as a light switch in your house. But it is not digitally scaning the keyboard. The PS-3300 uses the same triggering scheme as well.
I certainly wouldn't call the PS keyboard digital. It's just a switch. Digital keyboard scanning would imply some form of matrix encoding or representation of key values as a number of bits, along with multiplexing or CPU/logic circuits so obtain poly functionality.

The 3100 has 12 oscs because it uses divide-down technology to obtain the other pitches. The 3200 has 2 banks of these, the 3300 has 3 banks. Each key triggers a separate voice board with the synth circuits on. Not dissimilar to a typical stringer in the basics, but much more complex in its realisation.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:47 pm

sam wrote:I have not heard any 'vca thumping'.....

I can't remember, exactly. There is something about the internal electronics that means that if you set the envelope in some specific way, it makes an irritating thump each time you play. I've only found it once... my normal mode of programming doesn't make it happen.
I think it is just a minor thing that techs complain about... hmmm... it might've been mentioned in Vintage Synthesizers. I'll go look.

Ah, here it is:
"Another 2600 problem is the fact that there's a DC offset that appears on the sawtooth and square wave outputs of the VCOs. If you hook those signals into the VCF input mixer, the filter is actually DC-coupled, as is the entire signal path, out to the 2600's output. If you use fast attack and release times, there will be a characteristic thumping sound as this offset is turned off an on by the VCA."
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:50 pm

CZ Rider wrote:Now that I think about it the Arp 2500 had a 4 voice analog controller.
Had a split with two hi/low priority sections on it. Had reverse keys on the lower two octaves. Not conventional, but 4 voice none the less.
Splitting is cheating!
I'm not sure it would qualify unless you could simply lay your hand down and play a four note chord!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:05 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
sam wrote:I have not heard any 'vca thumping'.....

I can't remember, exactly. There is something about the internal electronics that means that if you set the envelope in some specific way, it makes an irritating thump each time you play. I've only found it once... my normal mode of programming doesn't make it happen.
I think it is just a minor thing that techs complain about... hmmm... it might've been mentioned in Vintage Synthesizers. I'll go look.

Ah, here it is:
"Another 2600 problem is the fact that there's a DC offset that appears on the sawtooth and square wave outputs of the VCOs. If you hook those signals into the VCF input mixer, the filter is actually DC-coupled, as is the entire signal path, out to the 2600's output. If you use fast attack and release times, there will be a characteristic thumping sound as this offset is turned off an on by the VCA."
Cheers for the advice...

Mine has an audio output on it's side ...Is it usual to use the L/R minijack outs (Top right)..?
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:02 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
The VCA thump is made too big a deal of. It's really not that big of a thing.
It's more noticable when the ARP is sequenced than played by hand but it can be fixed if you know the right chap.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:08 pm

sam wrote:Mine has an audio output on it's side ...Is it usual to use the L/R minijack outs (Top right)..?
Is it quarter inch?
I can't stand using the minijack outputs... I feel like the adapters and cables put stress on them. If you've got a quarter inch output, I'm jealous!

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:31 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
sam wrote:Mine has an audio output on it's side ...Is it usual to use the L/R minijack outs (Top right)..?
Is it quarter inch?
I can't stand using the minijack outputs... I feel like the adapters and cables put stress on them. If you've got a quarter inch output, I'm jealous!
Yes it's a quarter inch jack....

I fed my odyssey though the mic amp and to the osc mixer.

The filter is certainly better than a mk3 odyssey.

I guess we all know that...
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:10 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
CZ Rider wrote:Now that I think about it the Arp 2500 had a 4 voice analog controller.
Splitting is cheating!
I'm not sure it would qualify unless you could simply lay your hand down and play a four note chord!
It seems to me the ARP model 3222 4-voice keyboard is more of a '2-part' duophonic keyboard -- i.e. it has two duophonic sections: one in the bottom two octaves (reverse color) and one in upper three octaves --rather than a 4-voice (multitimbral) keyboard like the Oberheim Four voice polyphonic whose four voices are independent of each other.

Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:31 am

CZ Rider wrote:Getting back to the 2600, I missed the boat when they were going for $2600.00 US a while back. I kept bidding just under 2 bills for the ones that looked nice but were not fully functional. Plus I was looking for a black and orange 2600. Those days are gone. I guess my black and orange Oddy with the CAE4035 filter will have to do for now. :(
http://cgi.ebay.com/ARP-2600-with-3620- ... dZViewItem

Don't you wish all synths were under $1000 and there was a limitless surplus of them? Oh well.. maybe someday prices will lower once more.
Well fffff.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:31 am

A.R.P. patented a polyphonic keyboard based solely on switching and wiring combinations but it never went into production.

http://www.till.com/articles/arp/patent ... US03715444
Herrare umanum est.