Roland system 700

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Roland system 700

Post by blueknob » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:36 pm

Anyone got info on how this synth sounded? I can find lots of stuff on the System 100 but there seems next to nothing on this beast. I don't want one or even aspire to owning one but would like to know what it sounded like and what it was good for.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Re: Roland system 700

Post by Syn303 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:01 pm

blueknob wrote:Anyone got info on how this synth sounded? I can find lots of stuff on the System 100 but there seems next to nothing on this beast. I don't want one or even aspire to owning one but would like to know what it sounded like and what it was good for.
You could email Richard Lawson at R.L. Music, and ask him if he made any samples of the System-700 before it was sold ? Or just ask him what it sounded like.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:22 pm

Here is a drony clip I made a while ago when I had a system 700. It doesn't give you much of an idea of normal leads and basses though.

System 700 drone

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:44 pm

Here is a drony clip I made a while ago when I had a system 700. It doesn't give you much of an idea of normal leads and basses though.

System 700 drone
Intriguing; mind if I ask you why you moved it on? What are its shortcomings?

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by hfinn » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:29 pm

Well, I only had the main cabinet and it was heavy and expensive. I figured I could get a lot more for the money it was worth.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:13 am

Looks like there is a full system 700 on Ebay right now.
Someone just met the reserve at $15,000.00.
I wouldn't mind having one of those smaller Lab Systems, although
the full System 700 does look quite portable.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0258564419
Too expensive for me! I guess my System 100M will have to do. :wink:

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Post by blueknob » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:19 pm

:shock: wow! one on ebay, indeed there is!! What a coincidence. Good to see the photos, a closer view might be good fun. "Only 40 built" - is this true??

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by hfinn » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:32 pm

that's about what I heard. 40 to 50

blueknob

Post by blueknob » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:41 pm

OK I see the ebay piks for that nice System 700 have been added in another post, so I gather many of us are having a private drool. :roll:

As there were only around 40 build, clearly a first attempt by the manufacturer, I would think the modules can be easily duplicated by some of the moden modular synths. Yes??

Slickie

Post by Slickie » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:31 am

blueknob wrote: would think the modules can be easily duplicated by some of the moden modular synths. Yes??
uh yes! I remember a few years back analogue haven had a full system for sale and I was looking at it while I was there buying something else...and it appeared to me (by looks only) like most other old synths....very large, very heavy, very expensive, with very old technology to boot...don't remember seeing anything too unusual.

Probabaly sounds very nice but one can easily out perform it for a fraction of the cost today with any current modular makers. Now if you HAVE to have the roland sound then this will be the only thing to give it to you. The sequencer alone was the size of a Marshall head.

I remember when it sold it was shipped somewhere...wonder how much the shipping cost??

WDW

Post by WDW » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:54 am

Sold for $50.1K USD. Wow. I am skeptical as to whether payment will actually be made. but jeez!

WD
WD Whaley Music - W2Studios
Composer | Songwriter | Synthesist
http://www.facebook.com/wdwhaleymusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/w2studios

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:40 am

WDW wrote:Sold for $50.1K USD. Wow. I am skeptical as to whether payment will actually be made. but jeez!

WD
It makes you wonder when it's that price. Who exactly would be able to spend that much? Perhaps it's a composer for movies in Hollywood or maybe some obscure rich guy that was always fascinated by synthesizers..
Well fffff.

WDW

Post by WDW » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:46 am

Or a guy with a "0" that double triggers on his computer keyboard. :lol:

Yeah, it does make one wonder what the story is behind such an acquisition.

WD
WD Whaley Music - W2Studios
Composer | Songwriter | Synthesist
http://www.facebook.com/wdwhaleymusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/w2studios

Esus

Post by Esus » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:57 am

Vintage analog synthesizers are now like vintage cars, art, guitars, etc. Hard to believe that $50K will actually change hands, but what does anyone guess its value will be 2-5 years from now?--$75K, $100K?? It's got nowhere to go but up.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:11 pm

heres the comment i posted to AH containing my thoughts about this:

regarding this supposed sale price, it surprises me to see people here and on matrixsynth taking it so seriously. i think people are failing to take the following into account:

-first and most importantly, just because an item received a high bid on ebay doesnt mean the high bidder will pay the amount he or she bid. non-paying bidders are quite common.

-the last 2 roland system 700 sets i saw sell not so long ago went for $10K and $12K (on ebay), one fifth of what this auction closed at.

-since ebay now prevents us from seeing bidder IDs to hide the shill bidding that goes on there constantly, its hard to tell whats really going on in a particular auction.

-its not uncommon for dishonest sellers to bid on their own auctions or have a friend do it. i am NOT making any accusations here but ive seen this happen A LOT in the past.

-its also not uncommon for someone else whos got a similar item to place bogus bids to drive up perceived market value and maximize their sale price.

-its also quite common for scammers to place high bids on high ticket auctions so they can do their usual scamming.

for these reasons as well as my personal experience selling items of similar rarity, on and off of ebay, i wouldnt take that bid amount too seriously. on the other hand, in the end, it is a rare piece. this could have been a legitimate bid placed by someone with lots of money who just had to have it, regardless of cost. that can happen, but when i see things like this happen after a week long auction on EBAY, im usually skeptical.

of course, once people start blabbing about how somethings worth X dollars on the web, it often raises perceived value of
an item and the next person comes along and wants X + Y for theirs, so who knows what this will have done to perceived value of this item.

just my 2 cents...
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com