The Joys of Hardware Sequencers (Story/Rant/Endorsement)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Yodhan
Gear: DSI Mopho Keyboard, Korg Monotron, Microkorg, Arturia Experience Player, Reason 5
Band: Prototype Messiah

Re: The Joys of Hardware Sequencers (Story/Rant/Endorsement)

Post by Yodhan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:00 am

I have to side with Alex E here and say that as soon as I got Ableton Live, I never looked back. I do, however, use it like a hardware sequencer. I have two computers in my studio, a desktop where I host a few VST's and use as a multitrack recorder, and a laptop with Ableton that I use as the sequencer for my various outboard pieces of gear. I use a APC20 or APC40 (depends on which I am using for my live rig) to control the loops and a MIDI keyboard to write parts. Right now, I have a huge rats nest of MIDI cables going from thru ports, but I am planning on getting a MOTU Express 128.

In the discussion about sequencers not limiting creativity, I find that this is the closest thing I can find for helping my creativity because I have the visual control that I need and the hands on control, through the APC, that makes it natural.

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:06 am

I'm amused that someone dug up this old post. In the years since then I read the f**k manual and bought Logic. I considered Live, but the effects are very bad compared to those that come with Logic. I still use the Q80 for step sequencing.

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Post by druzz » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:46 am

i love being able to move blocks of music around and copy-paste rapidly in the computer but the less visual aproach of ''hardware'' sequencers helps me to focus more on the sound and what is happening in my head. its easy to use your eyes to see if its tigth or if its the rigth note but using your ears is rewarding .

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:01 am

Live is also my go to software these days, so glad for being endorsed with Ableton representative. I find the environment to be fun and productive in a creative way. I also enjoy the instruments/fxs and how they integrate with the workflow.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Voodoo Ray
Gear:
Akai
Waldorf
Roland
Yamaha

Post by Voodoo Ray » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:01 pm

I just don't want to muck around on a computer not to mention have to get keyboards, mouse, sequencing software etc. If the setup was 100% virtual it would be a different matter.

On a different note, the Roland MC-500 is heaven compared to the Korg SQD-1.